Volvo V60 ERAD Electric Rear Axle Differential + Inverter

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
FJ3422

Volvo V60 ERAD Electric Rear Axle Differential + Inverter

Post by FJ3422 »

For a small car conversion I would like to get a Volvo V60 PHEV rear-axle motor running. Preferably just by CAN-controlling the inverter, if that gets to difficult, I will 'johannes' the inverter : -) (or use another inverter)

- Does someone have a CAN-logfile of the HS-CAN & SENSOR-CAN of a Volvo V60 PHEV ? Already tried a lot with the Fuzzing-feature of Savvy, but definitely need a base of vehicle-messages to start with.

Below some pictures of the inverter & coaxial PM rear-motor. Rated for 50-60kW, but looking how everything is dimensioned I think there is quite some power margin to use. Inverter uses 600A IGBT's. Has two sides (one for the rear axle, one for the starter/generator which is dimensioned smaller), each has his own logic-board and spits out his own CAN-messages.
Small_Inverter_top.JPEG
Small_Inverter_bottom.JPEG
Small_Inverter_inside-1.JPEG
Small_Erad_1.JPEG
Small_Erad-2.JPEG
Small_Magna_stand.JPG
SuperV8

Re: Volvo V60 ERAD Electric Rear Axle Differential + Inverter

Post by SuperV8 »

Very interesting. Afraid I can't help regarding CAN data.

Do you know roughly how much this motor weighs?
I thought about this for bolting in to the rear sub frame on a Volvo V60 - and replacing the engine with batteries - but not sure this motor would be upto the task on it's own? Maybe add on to the front as well!

Might find the link below useful regarding the ERAD and some part numbers?
http://www.catcar.info/volvo/?lang=en&l ... g1NjMzZGQy
FJ3422

Post by FJ3422 »

ERAD weight is around 48Kg (including cables & oil).
I haven't driven a V60 PHEV yet, but have been told that it will reach in Pure (electric only) mode about 120-130km/h.

Meanwhile I had the chance to make logfiles of both CAN-busses in a running V60 and did build up some communication with the inverter, until the immobilizer stopped the progression. At boot, the inverter sends a random code in one CAN-message and expects a calculated response from the ECM (body module) back. I can spend some time to find the ECM that belongs to this particular inverter, but that's not the solution I would like.

So this project has been parked until I got another project running. Will pick this up later and probably design a logic-board for the inverter using the 'Johannes'-brain.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

FJ3422 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:41 pm Meanwhile I had the chance to make logfiles of both CAN-busses in a running V60 and did build up some communication with the inverter, until the immobilizer stopped the progression. At boot, the inverter sends a random code in one CAN-message and expects a calculated response from the ECM (body module) back. I can spend some time to find the ECM that belongs to this particular inverter, but that's not the solution I would like.
Same experience for me on the 'Yota stuff :( I have a Prius Gen2 VCU/HCU that "works", until it sees the CAN signals it wants are missing, then nothing. Would have been a slick way to get an operational EV from recycled hybrid parts!
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah