AEM Tesla Control

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Mojave

Re: AEM Tesla Control

Post by Mojave »

KimchiKimKim wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:23 am They designed it with Cascadia motion (the people behind the Rinehart inverters) so I think its a pretty sick little board!
The board is pretty nice but the real effort has been in the inverter drive and motor characterization. Engineering here has done over 1000 dyno runs just on the Base LDU to determine the best FOC methodology for the different operating regions. I'm glad it wasn't me doing it, I don't have anywhere near the patience.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

In the name of science it would be very interesting to compare the rather sophisticated controller against the simple slip one. I would expect better performance, just how much? I.e. peak torque, power and efficiency.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
KimchiKimKim

Post by KimchiKimKim »

Mojave wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:54 pm
KimchiKimKim wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:23 am They designed it with Cascadia motion (the people behind the Rinehart inverters) so I think its a pretty sick little board!
The board is pretty nice but the real effort has been in the inverter drive and motor characterization. Engineering here has done over 1000 dyno runs just on the Base LDU to determine the best FOC methodology for the different operating regions. I'm glad it wasn't me doing it, I don't have anywhere near the patience.
Do you have any knowledge as to when they are going to validate the sport LDU? I have one and although I was told that it would work with the preordered LDU board I placed, I was told yesterday that it might actually need different hardware. (Which I highly doubt since the only difference in hardware is the IGBT 120a vs 75a - AFAIK). I expect that it should be a software preset at some point but it would kinda suck to have bought something that I can't even use with my drive unit so I'm praying for a software config that is validated for sport LDUs.
Mojave

Post by Mojave »

KimchiKimKim wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:36 pm
Mojave wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:54 pm
Do you have any knowledge as to when they are going to validate the sport LDU? I have one and although I was told that it would work with the preordered LDU board I placed, I was told yesterday that it might actually need different hardware. (Which I highly doubt since the only difference in hardware is the IGBT 120a vs 75a - AFAIK). I expect that it should be a software preset at some point but it would kinda suck to have bought something that I can't even use with my drive unit so I'm praying for a software config that is validated for sport LDUs.
Can't say. The Sport LDU is getting a full FOC characterization that may or may not end up being similar to the one from the Base LDU. Common sense says it will likely be similar to the Base LDU but we are going to provide tailored solutions for the specific drive unit the controller is targeting.
KimchiKimKim

Post by KimchiKimKim »

I see, I hope that the sport version will be purchasable fairly soon. I have a CD5 and a VCU200 ready to use in the car.