Source for Neo Magnets, Prius rotors?

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
BeNimble

Source for Neo Magnets, Prius rotors?

Post by BeNimble »

Hello folks, I'm going to be building a big diameter wheel motor and was shocked to see how much 6ft of magnets would cost, like $1000.
I'm wondering what used part source I could scavenge the magnets from, Prius rotors come to mind, anyone strip them out of the rotors?
Any other ideas?
jnsaff

Re: Source for Neo Magnets, Prius rotors?

Post by jnsaff »

Prius motors apparently have about a kilo of them in there. The earlier models have more than later ones. When I last checked it did not seem a viable business model to get the magnets and sell them for profit.

Someone estimated the value of magnets to "$150 for the Prius motor."

Theres also: https://autorecyclingworld.com/the-valu ... recycling/

http://icrepq.com/icrepq19/212-19-abad.pdf
BeNimble

Post by BeNimble »

The cost of a 2in x 1in x 1/4in magnet is $15, and 40 of them in the Gen2 is $600 to buy them retail.
I'm sure Toyota pays nowhere near retail..I have a gen2 I could tear down, but I need 3 more. :)

I just bought two Highlander transaxles for $100, but unlikely to find more at that price.
BeNimble

Post by BeNimble »

Well I dismantled a gen1 rotor I had. Was not easy to get out the magnets, very powerful. took an hour. Need plastic tools. :!:

Can I upload images to this forum? Magnets are 1-3/8 wide, 1-3/4 long, and 1/4 thick, so about $20 ea retail, 16 thus saved me $320.

I checked our pick-n-pull wrecking yard, they have a few gen1, even gen2. However, they don't price hybrid parts, and a coujple years ago after I asked, they said $50 for a gen1 inverter, after I spent over an hour pulling it, they wanted $500. WTF. I should have flipped them the bird and just walked out with it, but just cussed them out and left.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Maybe not suitable for your project but old computer hard drives have neo magnets in them The bigger the hdd (physically) the bigger the magnets.
They are double pole but I think can be broken in half to give single pole magnets.
I need a bigger hammer!
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

I don't know if something like this is suitable, but www.supermagnete.de offers e. g. a magnet with 2 "x 2" x 1 "for € 59.- It weighs about 1 pound. There are practically all designs. Round and square.