Hi

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
SuperV8

Hi

Post by SuperV8 »

Just thought i'd say hi and introduce myself.
Petrol head here - built my own V8 kit car, added supercharger (hence my name!) built my ECU and tuned that, now thinking about a new project with less oil leaks!
I absolutely can see a future when ICE and Electric motors live side by side. Electric motors are great for moving things - just needs work on the energy storage problem!
Thinking about building a commuter hack, I like the thought of a Leaf now they are in my budget - but just can't stand the things! (no offence in anyone has one - just not my cup of tea) Why couldn't they make it look nice! So will need to make something!
Anyway... back to my 'thinking' - going to be a long ride.
Don't have much budget so will need to keep the range 'realistic' for getting to work and back.
arber333

Re: Hi

Post by arber333 »

SuperV8 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:35 pm I absolutely can see a future when ICE and Electric motors live side by side. Electric motors are great for moving things - just needs work on the energy storage problem!
Hm... do you have any idea how to approach this?
I have ona complete 1.4 Opel GM petrol engine from Opel Ampera/GM Volt - naturaly aspirated of course :).
Next i also have a complete GM Ampera/Volt transaxle!

The way i see it that system would be really good in a larger car/truck with say 30kWh or 40kWh battery. I have studied the unit pinouts since Ampera/Volt manual is free. It seems i could access solenoids directly and provide constant 3phase power to the aux pump. That way one could use full power of both motors 110kW + 60kW = 170kW on demand. Of course would use original Volt inverter with Lebowski brain :).

You could really connect any engine to it as long as you have enough space... I thought about 2cylinder BMW 1.2 GS motorcycle engine :)
Unit is quite heavy though...
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

An ‘easy’ one to do could be a Lexus CT200H, if your looking for a not particularly Long range car as you said just for commuting, already has all hardware for EV drivetrain installed, drop in an EVBMW VCU and put some batteries where the engine, fuel tank and original battery were and off you go.

They are however, being a gen2(?) Prius in another body, very reliable, so the chances of finding one with a broken engine for cheaper is less likely.
CoreyS

Post by CoreyS »

Why not both? I plan on using a GM e-assist motor with a rotary engine. Should give an extra 50kW and much needed torque.
SuperV8

Post by SuperV8 »

arber333 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:37 pm
SuperV8 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:35 pm I absolutely can see a future when ICE and Electric motors live side by side. Electric motors are great for moving things - just needs work on the energy storage problem!
Hm... do you have any idea how to approach this?
I have ona complete 1.4 Opel GM petrol engine from Opel Ampera/GM Volt - naturaly aspirated of course :).
Next i also have a complete GM Ampera/Volt transaxle!

The way i see it that system would be really good in a larger car/truck with say 30kWh or 40kWh battery. I have studied the unit pinouts since Ampera/Volt manual is free. It seems i could access solenoids directly and provide constant 3phase power to the aux pump. That way one could use full power of both motors 110kW + 60kW = 170kW on demand. Of course would use original Volt inverter with Lebowski brain :).

You could really connect any engine to it as long as you have enough space... I thought about 2cylinder BMW 1.2 GS motorcycle engine :)
Unit is quite heavy though...
Hi, sorry - I didn't word my 'rambling' very clearly! I was trying to say that I do think BEVs are the future for small vehicles (upto 3.5T for example - when they sort out the energy storage 'cost' problem!) BUT I really can't see mass adoption of medium to heavy duty BEVs any time soon. I'm talking big vans, trucks, coaches,tractors, boats etc... anything that does a lot of 'work' which needs a lot of energy.
SuperV8

Post by SuperV8 »

Domt177 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:03 pm An ‘easy’ one to do could be a Lexus CT200H, if your looking for a not particularly Long range car as you said just for commuting, already has all hardware for EV drivetrain installed, drop in an EVBMW VCU and put some batteries where the engine, fuel tank and original battery were and off you go.

They are however, being a gen2(?) Prius in another body, very reliable, so the chances of finding one with a broken engine for cheaper is less likely.
Yes, I thought about this approach last night - using a toyota/lexus hybrid, taking out the engine/fuel tank and fitting more batteries. Seems second hand prices for 300,000 mile toyota hybrids are crazy! Need to keep an eye out for a 'rare' broken one.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

I thought the same as you about how Leafs look. The early ones must be among the ugliest cars on the road.
They make a good source for parts that can be used to build an ev if you're dumb enough to do what many of us here are doing. :D
I need a bigger hammer!