EV conversion for a Peugeot 406 estate

747spokes

EV conversion for a Peugeot 406 estate

Post by 747spokes »

Good morning everybody. I am extremely interested in the possibility of converting to EV a Peugeot 406 1999 Diesel estate. In a quick search I found mention of the 406 but has anyone actually converted one as I'd appreciate advice. I have engineering facilities for welding, machining etc and would like to tackle the project. I am a new member of this forum since yesterday. Maybe Kevin Sharpe or Damian Maguire might have time to respond. Thankyou.
Boxster EV

Re: EV conversion for a Peugeot 406 estate

Post by Boxster EV »

Welcome.

Arber333 is your man. :)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=73

Good luck with the project.
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
arber333

Re: EV conversion for a Peugeot 406 estate

Post by arber333 »

747spokes wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:43 am Good morning everybody. I am extremely interested in the possibility of converting to EV a Peugeot 406 1999 Diesel estate. In a quick search I found mention of the 406 but has anyone actually converted one as I'd appreciate advice. I have engineering facilities for welding, machining etc and would like to tackle the project. I am a new member of this forum since yesterday. Maybe Kevin Sharpe or Damian Maguire might have time to respond. Thankyou.
Hi 747spokes.
No problem. I chose P 406 coupe 3.0 V6 because of its looks and capacity. I have 45kWh in it and there is still plenty of space. I think if i pushed it i could get full Bolt or Kona battery in.
I have documented my build in my blog here https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/
There is a lot of info on other things also...

Models before 2000 still used rather complex engine wiring. But that is actually your benifit because you need to use engine computer to simulate engin running condition. Other systems also need to see this signal for normal operation.
In all it is one pin :). Check the engine wiring. There is a wire which is connected to alternator output. When engine is running alternator makes positive voltage which pulls ON some of control relays. You need that pin pulled high by the start pulse and hold it there (latching relay).
At least on the gasoline engine i still need to give BSM RPM info and speedo for the BSI operation. RPM needs to be in area of 1000rpm so i am able to switch on the AC relay and some other internal relays.

I had good fortune to find french language BOSCH computer or BSM manual. This gave me info on the processes inside and which data to fake.
You need to find out which model BOSCH computer you have so you can find the manual.
If you need some manuals i can provide...

DO NOT USE ATX CAR!!!! The ATX uses various hydraulic switches and relays to signal its states to the computerč I banged my head extensively on how to convince ATX computer it is still in the car. I still eye my bunch of relays with suspicion, They are a big single point of failure...

As of now the car is a great success. Leaf motor is really powerfull and Jaguar batteries are great. I drive it regularely to work and we took it to some family trips as well. Range is some 230Km on highway at 110km/h.

I still need to build Chademo charging and solve some twitches inside motor control.