Which classic cars would the Lexus MGR suit?

DenkiJidousha

Which classic cars would the Lexus MGR suit?

Post by DenkiJidousha »

In the spirit of no stupid questions, which classic cars would the Lexus MGR suit, if any?

I know the conventional simplest approach is take out the ICE, and attach an electric motor to the manual gearbox - but that retains lots of old bits which the MGR route would remove. The attraction to me in my armchair is far simpler lighter drive train, and the entirety of the space taken by the engine, gear box, etc is available for the batteries, inverter and charger.

The MGR power seems like a good match to classic sports cars, but would it be an easy fit on any of them? Presumably something already RWD with independent rear suspension (not a live axle)? The MG midget or MGB look lovely, but it seems like they'd need an all new rear suspension. The Triumph GT6 rear suspension initially looked better, but the differential also serves as the spring mount.

I'm beginning to understand why the BMW E39 "Blue Yacht" was used - the removable subframe certainly helps:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=998

Update: See also the main Toyota/Lexus Motor Generator Rear (MGR) thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=190
電気 自動車 (denki jidousha) is Japanese for electric car 🔋⚡️🚗.
clanger9

Re: Which classic cars would the Lexus MGR suit?

Post by clanger9 »

The MGR might fit neatly in the space taken by the rear transaxle on an Alfa Romeo 105-series (and the power would be about right):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Rome ... ies_Coupés
I always thought the MGR would fit neatly in the engine space on a Citroen 2CV as well - maybe a bit too much power though ;-)
For a cheap classic, has anyone tried converting an MGF roadster with an MGR?
PacEmaker

Post by PacEmaker »

The Alfa Romeo 105-series didn't use a rear transaxle.

Perhaps you're thinking of the next models such as Alfetta/Alfetta GTV etc.?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Rome ... V_and_GTV6

They would indeed be a wonderful performing EV if you could find one that wasn't rusted to death by now :(
Geoff

Is this smoke trying to tell me something ... :twisted:
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Doh, my bad! Yes, I was thinking of the later transaxle models.

Another easy conversion might be a Saab 96. Front wheel drive, but power would be about right. They are built like tanks & there'd be loads of space for the battery pack...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_96
PacEmaker

Post by PacEmaker »

Gotta say, I would jump the bones of a 105 series before any Alfetta though ... should never have sold my Giulia :(
Geoff

Is this smoke trying to tell me something ... :twisted:
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

They are gorgeous, aren't they? Sadly very rare these days...
DenkiJidousha

Post by DenkiJidousha »

Its more modern than I was picturing, but the MGF might work with its removable subframe - similar project underway here but a different motor:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=181&sid=fbecde87d0 ... 1e61b6891a

Those Alfa Romeo aren't really my taste, but I can see the charm in the Saab 96. Certainly the Lexus MGR might work just as well FWR...
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

What sort of classic do you have in mind?
A Mk.1 Toyota MR2 or Fiat X1/9 would make a cracking little EV... :-)
jalovick

Post by jalovick »

clanger9 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:00 pm What sort of classic do you have in mind?
A Mk.1 Toyota MR2 or Fiat X1/9 would make a cracking little EV... :-)
There was a guy in Sydney who did a conversion of a Mk 1 MR2 a few years ago - http://www.evalbum.com/1759
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

clanger9 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:24 am Another easy conversion might be a Saab 96. Front wheel drive, but power would be about right. They are built like tanks & there'd be loads of space for the battery pack...
The 96 was on my short list, but spares in the USA are difficult to source and there are precious few solid bodies to be had, compared to the 1M+ Squarebacks built.
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
DenkiJidousha

Post by DenkiJidousha »

I'm not looking for super sporty handling - I'm happy with the Nissan Leaf which is nippy even though ours is almost always in the power limiting eco mode, which I only turn off when I want more power (usually just joining a busy motorway/dual carriage way). Stylistically I'd go for something more curvy, like the MGB or Triumph GT6, even a Morris Minor, or something cute like a classic Fiat 500. Ideally something which sold in high enough numbers to make getting one and any parts reasonably straightforward and affordable.

I'd wondered about the Mazda MX-5 (Miata), but there the gearbox and differential have a structural role for the spine, so it doesn't seem like a good MGR match.

This is very speculative right now. We would really need to move house and get a garage for a start, although I might be able to rent some space locally. It does seem that for most of the cars which catch my eye, the MGR is not appropriate. Maybe in a year or two there will be several proven MGR conversions on the road?

Note I'd lean towards up to year 2000 for the apparently simpler UK conversion rules, see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=543&start=50#p16181 - and less electronic systems to fit with.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

It depends on your fabrication abilities.

For example, my project with a Tesla LDU is a 1940 Chevy, which originally had a live rear axle. I can weld and design decently so I took on the challenge of converting the car to IRS.

I will say this, the research to find an OEM IRS that I could reasonable adapt took months and the fab work was not simple. But this was the combination I wanted so I found a way.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
DenkiJidousha

Post by DenkiJidousha »

I think my metal fabrication abilities are close to zero - I would definitely go for as simple as possible on the assembly, and am probably naive in hoping the MGR might turn out to be a near perfect fit to some cars.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

DenkiJidousha wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:44 pm I think my metal fabrication abilities are close to zero - I would definitely go for as simple as possible on the assembly, and am probably naive in hoping the MGR might turn out to be a near perfect fit to some cars.
Something that already has independent suspension should be simpler. Depending on your budget, its not out of the realm of possibility to have a local shop build mounts and new axles if necessary.

Plus, flux core and MIG welding are not terrible to learn.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Oh, mad idea: Skoda 130!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Škoda_130

They had independent trailing-arm rear suspension and an MGR would probably drop straight in...
4markowen

Post by 4markowen »

Not sure it qualifies as a classic, but I'd like to have a crack at a Smart Roadster.

Custom rear subframe taking inspiration from the hybusa converted Smarts, maybe even converting it to awd by popping a second MGR up front. but to begin with, the existing subframe should be easy enough to work with and is shared with the smart car itself, so if you mess it up, there's others about. along with lots of other common parts.

The chassis and body panels and look offer a rarer car, it's well handling, the community always goes on about Gordon Murray's praise... but has the advantage of sharing a shedload of cheap parts with it's more common siblings.
Ctwidle

Post by Ctwidle »

I don’t think this one has been mentioned yet. I went through a range of ideas for a classic to convert but a bit of friendly pressure from members of my local car club not to adulterate a ‘real’ classic left me looking at a VW beetle and when a partly restored ‘72 Super Beetle caught my eye I sold my Stag and collected a large number of boxes with neatly bagged and tagged parts with a partly painted body and floor pan. There was not a single nut or bolt that hadn’t been dismantled!
It looks like an MGR will replace the original transmission the right way around and with the axle centres in line with the original IRS leaving lots of room for other essentials. I’m giving myself a good six months to work on getting it rolling while I research the electrics.
Chris