OEM Connector Salvaging: Lead Bath

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
AdvancedEnergySys

OEM Connector Salvaging: Lead Bath

Post by AdvancedEnergySys »

I do have a confession of having more redneck hobbies in the Pew Pew realm. In the past I was heavily into casting my own projectiles and thus have significant quantities of pure-ish lead in storage. This is the setup I use to process scrap lead so it was just a matter of dropping in a few ingots and floating the pcb on the molten lead for about 30 seconds and picking off the desired components!
johu
Site Admin

Re: OEM Connector Salvaging: Lead Bath

Post by johu »

:D
Very cool, now you can forego ordering the connectors. Why are they filled with toothpaste or something?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

johu wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:50 amVery cool, now you can forego ordering the connectors. Why are they filled with toothpaste or something?
So lead doesn't pour into them and freeze?

Blowtorch directly to the board is normally my approach. Skip the middleman.

jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Im more a cast iron skillet on the stovetop guy. Same method Im using for smt assembly 😂
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
AdvancedEnergySys

Post by AdvancedEnergySys »

johu wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:50 am :D
Very cool, now you can forego ordering the connectors. Why are they filled with toothpaste or something?
Attempt number 2 started with connectors filled with an oil based clay which ended up melting a bit and being completely unnecessary!
jon volk wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:11 am Im more a cast iron skillet on the stovetop guy. Same method Im using for smt assembly 😂
Just make sure you aren't doing this inside, Lead oxide is hard to avoid when in a pan on the stove and once you start breathing it in blood toxicity isn't far behind. That being said, having a molten bath of lead surrounded by snow in a place that snows often isn't much less hazardous.

I only lost a few connectors on my first board with all of the 50 pin connectors coming out perfect!