2 year anniversary

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
johu
Site Admin

2 year anniversary

Post by johu »

Forgot to mention the 1 year milestone, but payed more attention this time. I posted the "Welcome to forum" thread exactly two years ago. Coincidentally the last Through Hole Generation 2 Kit sold out yesterday :)

Just want to say I'm very happy about what openinverter has become, I like the general positive attitude here that you have trouble finding on the internet these days.

So we have 1143 members that apparently know what the "B" in IGBT stands for :) There are 157 threads in Projects, many more boards sold and presumably even more boards that people ordered directly off JLCPCB. It must be a couple of 1000 openinverter projects out there.

Most of you will know this picture, it was my personal launch of openinverter 12 years ago :D
Attachments
20081209_00_53_23.jpg
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Jack Bauer

Re: 2 year anniversary

Post by Jack Bauer »

My first openinverter build and closed loop motor run from 2014. I remember thinking this can't work, not complex enough....
Attachments
20140305_203827.jpg
I'm going to need a hacksaw
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

My experimental AC drive back around 2001 used sine tables generated by hand and stored in EPROM. The upper address bits selected between tables of different amplitudes and frequency control was just how fast you clocked the address counters. It worked, but I never scaled it up to vehicle size.

I greatly appreciate how much easier it is now with the combination of open source designs and repurposed production hardware.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

This thread is so cool :) It's come so far in 2 years! Thank you to all who have contributed to making Open Inverter what it is.

-Matt
arber333

Post by arber333 »

I remember running my 75Vrms Acim motor on openinverter and 300Vdc! It was slow at takeoff but it worked...
And there is a new one for you out there; I ran my DIY openinverter once on 2 phases for 30km back home 😵! Try that with OEM inverters!

Happy days.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

SciroccoEV wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:06 pm My experimental AC drive back around 2001 used sine tables generated by hand and stored in EPROM. The upper address bits selected between tables of different amplitudes and frequency control was just how fast you clocked the address counters. It worked, but I never scaled it up to vehicle size.

I greatly appreciate how much easier it is now with the combination of open source designs and repurposed production hardware.
The sine firmware still does just that. Well the table is 2048 entries and unity amplitude because the STM32 can hack the multiplication :)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

johu wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:08 am The sine firmware still does just that. Well the table is 2048 entries and unity amplitude because the STM32 can hack the multiplication :)
Well, if you're going to be all fancy about it and use a uPprocessor rather than discrete logic!
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Oh now I get it! Discrete logic inverter would be kind of cool.
In the above picture you see my discrete logic PWM stage. The actual calculation was done on real time Linux and sent to the logic via parallel port.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Thanks for getting this ball rolling
. You lost me AFTER IGBT, but that's OK. You guys make it so much easier with wifi modules and screen data capturing. Sure a long steep curve. Keep climbing!!
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Congrats on hosting a successful forum.

I haven't worked much on my inverter for about a year, but, I probably would not have even started my conversion if you guys hadn't built and demonstrated what you have. Nothing else is remotely near my budget.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Thanks for the work you all put in, it is greatly appreciated!
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

I blame you guys for the trouble I've gotten myself into. :o

Still having fun tho so that's what's important. :)
I need a bigger hammer!
FJ3422

Post by FJ3422 »

Thank you guys for the nice work that has been done last years ! Keep on going !
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Thank you so much for the effort that you guys have gone to the last two years. Jesus, it's been a learning curve! Thanks for the patience... there's more questions to come 😂
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I joined just over a year ago and was probably lurking for a while before then. When looking for information about hacking scrap EV power units this was the only place I found where real development was taking place in a truly open source way.
It's been a real treat over the last two years following the development of the open Inverter technology by both Johannes and Damien.

As an electrical engineer it's disappointing I can't appear to give more practical support to the project as the main protagonists are always so overloaded.
Stephen Darbey

Post by Stephen Darbey »

Came across this a good few years ago now, found myself gathering, studying, tinkering with 'things' from scrappies, even know their names now and they certainly know me. Won't give up soccer, cycling and golf, but pretty much everything else has been put aside for this craziness.

Hats off to you Johannes, and of course Damien.

Happy Anniversary.
Stephen
SDev