Electric Motorcycle Project

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
ChazFisher

Electric Motorcycle Project

Post by ChazFisher »

Hi Johannes, and community! Just checking in, after following your work on diyelectriccar and other forums. My current project, just getting underway, is the drivetrain for an electric motorcycle. My goal is to use as many salvage parts as possible. The motor is from a Chevy Malibu mild hybrid, and the inverter from a Honda Civic IMA system. The inverter controller, of course, will be based on your design. No decision yet on the battery, although I am leaning towards 3 modules from a Chevy Volt.

Looking forward to reading and learning!
Chaz Fisher
Slowly creeping up on that e-motorcycle.
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Electric Motorcycle Project

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

sounds like a great project... welcome :)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
ggeter

Post by ggeter »

Have you had any luck getting that unit to spin? I see it's 36v. Interesting motor.
Houston, Texas, USA
EV Newbie
1979 MG Midget + GS450h = "Mexus?"
IT Consultant
ChazFisher

Post by ChazFisher »

I actually did get the motor spinning. Here's the reverse-engineering doc I posted up on DIYElectricCar. I'm looking into Johannes' 4-channel BMS now.

There are still some additional changes I want to make to the board, including re-sizing it to fit better and making use of the fault signals coming from the IGBT gate drives. But before I do that, I want to try out using the inverter and motor as the battery charger, and I want the BMS in place to be able to do that. Just in case there are further changes to the inverter controller.
Attachments
Honda_IMA_Rev_Eng.pdf
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 138 times
Chaz Fisher
Slowly creeping up on that e-motorcycle.