Nissan Leaf (or synchronous) motor noise

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
arber333

Re: Nissan Leaf (or synchronous) motor noise

Post by arber333 »

johu wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:29 am Ok, so you think the noise was present in the petrol car also, just that you don't hear it because a petrol motor makes much more noise at 5000 rpm. So maybe there is a point to using 4th or even 5th gear on highway driving. Will keep experimenting.
Hm... Your noise actually sounds a lot like Leaf motor in FW. I could hear very similar sound with my friends Mazda RX8 Leaf motor. He uses 200Vdc and he gets up to 4000rpm and then Lebowski brain switches to FW. But in my Pug i dont hear the transition, i guess it has better insulation. Also he claims his 3rd is a bit worn out too :).
Can you draw what happens to Td and Tq around that speed? I think you should see some skew in graph at change of sound.

Also what about the sound in 2nd gear at the same RPM?

What i noticed though if i am under FW and i push the EMGCY switch and then release it, motor will immediately synchronise and drive on. But if i have RPM upwards of FW range motor wont be able to sinchronise and i will have to slow down and wait for it to go back online at lower RPM.
Tremelune

Re: Nissan Leaf (or synchronous) motor noise

Post by Tremelune »

This seems normal. I have the stock inverter in my conversion and it certainly whines. How is your motor mounted? Do you have any sound deadening in the engine bay or cabin?

It's easier to reduce high-pitched frequencies...I would look into installing some mass-loaded vinyl by the firewall (and maybe hood). You might even be able to wrap the motor to some degree.