Lexus RX400H FWD Inverter Teardown! Lots of Pictures!

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
AdvancedEnergySys

Lexus RX400H FWD Inverter Teardown! Lots of Pictures!

Post by AdvancedEnergySys »

What we have her is an 06 Lexus Rx400h FWD inverter. This inverter seems substantially more powerful than a prius inverter but I am far from an expert at this point. Let me know what you guys think. I would like to use the dual motor board with this inverter. What would this inverter be rated at compared to a prius inverter?
Isaac96

Re: Lexus RX400H FWD Inverter Teardown! Lots of Pictures!

Post by Isaac96 »

Those bus bars look much thicker than the Gen2 Prius, which is about similar in year. So I wouldn't be surprised if that's got way more current capability.
Prius Gen2 is factory rated for 50Kw.
MG2 in the RX400h is rated for 163hp, which translates to 120Kw. I'd say lots more power.

Also looks like the same unipolar PWM setup as the Gen2 -- it likely has the same intelligent-shutoff system as the Prius. Would you like to do us all a favor and short some car batteries through it?
AdvancedEnergySys

Isaac96 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:43 am Those bus bars look much thicker than the Gen2 Prius, which is about similar in year. So I wouldn't be surprised if that's got way more current capability.
Prius Gen2 is factory rated for 50Kw.
MG2 in the RX400h is rated for 163hp, which translates to 120Kw. I'd say lots more power.

Also looks like the same unipolar PWM setup as the Gen2 -- it likely has the same intelligent-shutoff system as the Prius. Would you like to do us all a favor and short some car batteries through it?
It sure seems more than a little capable!
But in terms of helping out the gang, I'm more than willing to do all I can to help out! I'm relatively new in this arena but as an EE very comfortable with this content and understand it well once I can decipher the functions of a system.
What intelligent-shutoff system does the prius gen II have? Is there a way to bypass it or are we stuck with stock power settings?
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Prius gen 2 shuts off when one of the phase currents gets too high. But not to worry, the limits are pretty darn high. Prius Gen2 shuts off at 460 amps on the high-power side, which is about as much as anyone needs. Maybe the RX400h will push 600 or 800 amps!
Damien did some power testing on the Gen 2, here's his video of the process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6mlXahM9B0
AdvancedEnergySys

Isaac96 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:41 am Prius gen 2 shuts off when one of the phase currents gets too high. But not to worry, the limits are pretty darn high. Prius Gen2 shuts off at 460 amps on the high-power side, which is about as much as anyone needs. Maybe the RX400h will push 600 or 800 amps!
Damien did some power testing on the Gen 2, here's his video of the process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6mlXahM9B0
That is exactly what I need! I've also confirmed that the Gen II hardware matches the pinout on the main IGBT Driver PCB so I'll get things hooked up and running soon!:
jap

Post by jap »

Thanks for sharing! I was looking into these units and why they are so expensive, turns out early RX400 models had a recall for inverter failures. Seems that there´s a market for used ones - explains the 500€ price on ebay..