Removal of existing leaf board

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
doobedoobedo

Removal of existing leaf board

Post by doobedoobedo »

Any tips for getting the screws holding the original board out?

I've managed to move a couple but even then they seem to seize up again after about a mm of travel out.
johu
Site Admin

Re: Removal of existing leaf board

Post by johu »

They are held in with locktite. About 30% of the screw heads came off on the 2 boards I removed. At least when the head's off you get the board out.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
doobedoobedo

Post by doobedoobedo »

Yeah just got one out, one sheared half way out, and I've mangled a couple of heads despite hammering the screwdriver bit into them. Thermal mass is too great to use heat effectively. It's blue loctite for anyone else who reads this, applied over 7mm of thread.
doobedoobedo

Post by doobedoobedo »

Board is off! I had to drill out all but 3. The one that sheared half way and two I could remove. Hopefully with some heat and a pair of mole grips I'll get the stubs out.
e^2

Post by e^2 »

Has anyone applied heat to remove the screws? I have a gen 1 inverter here and I'll try it out.
doobedoobedo

Post by doobedoobedo »

I guess it depends on how you're applying heat. The screws are go into a large aluminium casting which will soak it up like anything. I found drilling the screws out I could then detach the casting, apply as much heat as I deemed necessary (blow torch) and fairly easily then remove the stubs.
e^2

Post by e^2 »

Thanks. I got this Gen1 inverter as well as a Chevy Spark inverter to play with. Was going to convert one for DC control and the other for AC. Maybe this weekend I can get the Gen 1 apart and see if mine looks like what you all have.
doobedoobedo

Post by doobedoobedo »

Mine's Gen 2. Gen 1 is laid out differently - good luck!
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Maybe press a soldering iron onto the middle of the philips head screw, once the screw is hot screw it out? Being careful not to scorch anything else that might be important such as a wire pressing against a screw etc.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

johnspark wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:40 am Maybe press a soldering iron onto the middle of the philips head screw, once the screw is hot screw it out? Being careful not to scorch anything else that might be important such as a wire pressing against a screw etc.
That is exactly how i took out screws from Volt main board connectors. I used hot air station though. You can clearly see when solder changes state, so be ready with screwdriver :).

I also effectively took out dual row connectors. You have to be carefull while rocking connector back and forth and heating it upside down. Normally it just falls down when disturbed enough.