Where are the cheap Prius transaxles?

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
johu
Site Admin

Where are the cheap Prius transaxles?

Post by johu »

I cleaned up the shed today to be able to do some more development work there.

First thing I want to equip myself with would be a Prius transaxle. A quick search on ebay revealed prices starting above 600€ and shooting up to 1500€. I thought they were like 100€? Please enlighten me.

Also thinking what other unhacked motor/inverter combination to get. The Renault Zoe is the most sold EV to my knowledge, so how about it? Any suggestion what could spawn on scrapyards in the near future?
Attachments
IMG_20200901_142552.jpg
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Richerson

Re: Where are the cheap Prius transaxles?

Post by Richerson »

RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Prius, Zoé then Kia Soul in France 😉
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

Looking GOOD! :)

If shipping to you was not in the hundreds, I can get all the Prius G2 transaxles needed for under $100US.
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

I found going to the scrap yards in person is the way to 'negotiate'. The website guys are going for gold 🥇
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

johu wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:51 pm A quick search on ebay revealed prices starting above 600€ and shooting up to 1500€. I thought they were like 100€? Please enlighten me.
You have to be clear about which version you're after. It's easy to find Gen 2 for 150 GBP and Gen 4 for 450 GBP on retail sites like eBay UK (going direct to the breaker and negotiating a deal will be cheaper);

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=99&p=16034#p16034

However, if you have space and can break a car then you can end up with money in the bank and free EV parts. Damien paid 300 Euro for his Prius iirc and lots for around 1000 euro;

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/t ... s/25620304
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

johu wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:51 pmAlso thinking what other unhacked motor/inverter combination to get. The Renault Zoe is the most sold EV to my knowledge, so how about it? Any suggestion what could spawn on scrapyards in the near future?
Just FYI... the number of Renault Zoe's in north america is presumably zero.

Wiki shows zero sold there anyway, and I've never seen a Renault of any model here. It's just not a thing.

So, if you want to grab something with presence in both NA and Eur, poor choice. But if you want something closer to home, there's 180,000 of them out there, half in le France.

Post by Age »

johu wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:51 pm I cleaned up the shed today to be able to do some more development work there.

First thing I want to equip myself with would be a Prius transaxle. A quick search on ebay revealed prices starting above 600€ and shooting up to 1500€. I thought they were like 100€? Please enlighten me.

Also thinking what other unhacked motor/inverter combination to get. The Renault Zoe is the most sold EV to my knowledge, so how about it? Any suggestion what could spawn on scrapyards in the near future?
Would this be an option for you? I thought about buying it, but it's too far away and shipping is not available.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/264741806283
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Thanks for all the ebay links. Now it turns out Mr. Bauer clears out his shop and has a transaxle to spare :)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
storm4710

Post by storm4710 »

SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

It's been my experience that German ebay traders are prepared to stick to high prices for very long periods of time, despite no sales. I can't imagine that storage space is cheap to rent.

Back in my £100 for a car and Kit car building phase, I was fortunate to deal regularly with one breakers yard, run by a Romany Gypsy family.
They liked to sell stuff, make some money and get in more stuff to sell. I used to run a credit account with them.

I know of two Gen2 Prius transaxles for sale locally at £125 each and they'd probably accept an offer. I'm getting pretty tight on storage space, so I'm not leaping at the chance to buy them.
imwoody36

Post by imwoody36 »

"Full disclosure... I own autobeyours.com"

Autobeyours.com is Americas largest prius recycler.
the priustoric boatcar guy
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

imwoody36 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:02 pm Autobeyours.com is Americas largest prius recycler.
Can you give us some guide pricing?
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
imwoody36

Post by imwoody36 »

its simple and complicated.

with a staff of 9 and licensing, insurance , mortgages , I need to earn 1300 a day before making any money.

so you see, time becomes part of the equation on parts sales. the next most expensive is shipping. the part itself is sometimes the least valuable item on the invoice.
if you show up and want a prius transmission , Ill take 100 dollars. an entire car is in my opinion the least expensive way to get all the donor parts
the priustoric boatcar guy
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

imwoody36 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:13 pm its simple and complicated.
I fully understand... thanks for the helpful response :)