Prius Gen2 adapter board development thread

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
imwoody36

Re: Prius Gen2 adapter board development thread

Post by imwoody36 »

Bram wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:42 am Does anybody knows why we have jumpers Sj1 and Sj2?
I'm struggling with getting a nice triangle out of my (outlander) resolver, and watched video's again from Damien, where he showed his prius transaxle with a nice triangle signal from his resolver. also tried it, with Sine and hand, but without success. also tried a few possible other combinations with resolver without result.
Then i had a look at the GEN3 encoder signal input and noticed that R1 and R2 are not active due to the open jumper, while its a hard line within the Gen 3 Schematic. Beside that the encoder scheme's are very alike.
my question: can I set Sj1 and SJ2 as another possible solution for my Resolver quest?
just a quick reminder..I set the plot to 1000 instead of 10 when looking at the resolver
the priustoric boatcar guy
Bram

Post by Bram »

johu wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:22 am
Bram wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:42 amDoes anybody knows why we have jumpers Sj1 and Sj2?
SJ1 and SJ2 are for ENCODER use only! They activate pull-up to 5V. Do not close them for resolver. Set encmode to resolver.
Thanks guys, I did set encmode to resolver as one of the first things. and also with a plot resolution of 10 and 1000.
With the 10 i get a weird twisted line from 0 untill 220 degrees with a lot of noise.

let me try again, and start procedure from start again, I'm doing something wrong here, my brain is probably overheated with this temperatures above 35Degress Celcius.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

ZooKeeper wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:28 am Well I have intended, but mystery progress :)

- The resolver signal is back, I have absolutely zero clue how; then again I never figured out when or why I lost it.
- MGR "fights" me very slightly when I attempt to rotate it and measure angle with the inverter powered on
- All the STM power and grounds seem ok: 3v3 on 1, 13, 19, 32, 48, 64 and 0v0 (< 3mV) on 7, 12, 18, 31, 47, 63
- I have 4.4kHz on pin 54
- 28 = 80Hz
- Lastly, pins 57, 58 & 59 all have 9.5mV & no Hz :(
FOC or sine firmware? Manual mode and non-zero ampnom/fslipspnt or manualid/iq, respectively? pwmpol=ActiveHigh?
Also try applying these parameters: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Configura ... 2_Inverter
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

SIN for testing, I have never had FOC working w/PWM output, but understand it is the correct version for my motor.

In Manual Run, parameters as described in above link; non-zero ampnom & fslippnt, I am getting no signal that I can measure into or out of the ULN. This is the identical manner where I had twitching before and melted my test wires.
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Ok now you're talking about output on the ULN before you said you measured the outputs pins of the STM32. Now which one? The ULN alone will not output anything unless tied high. When connected the the inverter MG2 PWM inputs MSDN needs to be tied high in order for the inputs to rest at 15V. Only then will you see anything on the ULN outputs
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

Sorry for the confusion, let me attempt to declarify after rechecking my notes :(

STM32 pins 41, 42, 43 have no measurable signal output, consequently there is no signal @ pins 5, 6 & 7 of the ULN and no signal to the inverter on the corresponding ULN output pins.

I have stable 14.9Vdc on each of the ULN output pins with the inverter/VCU in Manual Run & 12v supplied to the inverter logic and MSDN.

Based on that, combined with all the other results, it seems that somehow I damaged the STM as I cannot confirm any output from it.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Have you selected forward or reverse direction?
What is your heatsink temp?
I'm going to need a hacksaw
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

I

Am

Stupid

I lost situational awareness and forgot to tie the FWD input high, now that is corrected, there is definitely resistance to manual motor turning and 1.65Vdc on the STM outout/ULN input & ~7.4Vdc output from the ULN.

To answer the tmphs question, 103.28*C.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Good :)
I think the latest firmware should fix the tmphs reading.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

Pinswap PWMOutput1>3 and it is PERFECT!

SMOOTH AS GLASS :) :) :)

<edit: attached params>
Attachments
1st Successful Spin - Params.json
FOC - Openinverter+PriusG2+MGR
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Thanks for the update Zookeeper! Awesome breakthrough!
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Very good! Can you verify it turns equally well in both directions? Puzzled about the pinswap, but hey, thats why we have it ;)
Bram

Post by Bram »

Congrats Zookeeper!

I've got it also running smooth with FOC, with a bit of different parameters, like I donthave the Pinswap (0), and my deadtime is 183.
While running, the inverter needs a lot of current from 24V battery. like 180Amps! that keeps me away from playing with parameters with such a high current. ILGain and UDC gain are the same as Zookeeper (let me try to upload my parameters)

I've the Gen2 inverter, with a outlander motor
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Bram wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:34 am I've got it also running smooth with FOC, with a bit of different parameters, like I donthave the Pinswap (0), and my deadtime is 183.
While running, the inverter needs a lot of current from 24V battery. like 180Amps! that keeps me away from playing with parameters with such a high current. ILGain and UDC gain are the same as Zookeeper (let me try to upload my parameters)

I've the Gen2 inverter, with a outlander motor
Damn that's allot of amps. Mine was pulling around 4 amps from the 48v battery to run. Is that in manual mode or with the throttle?
Interesting that you needed to use deadtime, I was assuming that should be kept at 0 for the gen 2. I'll have to look into that as well.

Edit: Also I'm an idiot. Of course mine was pulling about 4 amps because I set it to that on manual mode.

I had some setbacks on the weekend so I haven't made any progress at all.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

People, stop programming deadtime on gen2 inverters! Now!

:)
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

Just how many times does it have to be repeated.

Let me do a test...

GEN2 PRIUS INVERTER = BUILT IN DEADTIME CONTROL

Enough?
Bram

Post by Bram »

After Johu's post it was very clear.

If you want to feel me like an idiot? you succeeded!
Therefor I apologize for not being perfect, and still learning while making mistakes.
Respect your years of knowledge, hopeful you respect my learning curve with "stupid" questions and actions. There is lot to take in, mistakes are easily made.
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

Bram wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:15 am After Johu's post it was very clear.
Please, just slow down and actually read the threads, then read them again and make notes if necessary.
If something isn't clear, see if the answer is in another thread, don't get fixated on just one.

There is a lot of information here, if you actually take it in. Many aren't and the same questions and the same mistakes keep coming up.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

SciroccoEV wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:57 am Please, just slow down and actually read the threads, then read them again and make notes if necessary.
If something isn't clear, see if the answer is in another thread, don't get fixated on just one.

There is a lot of information here, if you actually take it in. Many aren't and the same questions and the same mistakes keep coming up.
Sage advice. The challenge for me is not always recognizing a solution in the first read through (or second or third :cry: ) which requires all the more effort to sort through the noise for solutions.
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

That brings up the question, how shall we proceed with the wiki on that matter? https://openinverter.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_Gen2_Board still shows the old through hole controller. Would someone like to add a section on the new controller discussed in this thread?
I added an important piece of info here: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Toyota_Pr ... d#Software 8-) :lol:

EDIT: just took the liberty to re-arrange the page a bit.
Now the inverter itself is described first, then the through hole board, then the SMT board (only placeholder)
Bram

Post by Bram »

a little update on my 180Amp aventure; (gen2 inverter - outlander rear motor)
Played with the syncofs and went from 180 to 1 amp from Battery with manualid 1
changed syncofs from 0 to 9000.
Dont know the rational behind it (yet)

I do have a plot (need to figure out how to upload) that shows with syncofs of "0" that Il1 and Il2 where inverted/opposites and fight each other for the majority of the time, with currents above 300Amps! but the difference did made it run. if you didn see the amps you wouldn't notice the 300Amps fight.

And of course changed deadtime to 0 at first :D
but that didnt had an effect on the 180Amps consumption.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

One kind sir sent me this board for further experiments ;)
Set was a little incomplete, if I can say so. 12way connector was being found on RS components, but modice enclosure was not available.
So I designed my own. Will order 3D printing from transparent plastic as soon as this sh!tshow in Minsk is over...
Снимок экрана (316).png
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

johu wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:07 am Very good! Can you verify it turns equally well in both directions? Puzzled about the pinswap, but hey, thats why we have it ;)
It actually rotated in "Reverse" when set to "man run" + "default fwd" with the 1>3 pinswap.
I physically swapped 1 & 3 and returned the software to pinswap = none, same result.
With pinswap 1>3 + "man run" and physical wires 1>3 swapped, I get shaking and no rotation.

So, I set dir = switch, set to "run" + Fwd =12v, it turns even more smoothly than before AND in forward as expected @ 0.4Aac phase current.

Earlier, in "man" + "default fwd" it turned backwards and draws over 15Aac in so doing.

Sooo, the physical 1 & 3 were swapped and pinswap set to 0 (none) and it does exactly as expected and better than before :)

<edit> Update: I did some further testing, it is soooo much smoother and battery draw = motor phase current, at least with my 12v test setup. 144 motor RPM, so about 20 flange RPM.
imwoody36

Post by imwoody36 »

zookeeper , you and I are about on the same page today.
I have an MGR from a rav4 hybrid moving, but it wont stop, and I had to pinswap.
i have the ability to stop the motor with no throttle when I sincos swap.
Im using your parameters , have you made changes to syncoffs?
the priustoric boatcar guy
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

I had throttle input due to an open pot ground when that happened to me.

Added most up-to-date params, in case it can help someone.

<edit> When I say 1>3, I mean the outer terminal wires are exchanged @ motor thusly: 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 becomes: 1=3, 2=2, 3=1.
Attachments
2nd Day Spinning with 1 to 3 physical swap.json
Forward rotation after physical 1>3 swap, no pinswap.
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 61 times