Toyota Prius Gen 2 Inverter Controller

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
konstantin8818

Re: Toyota Prius Gen 2 Inverter Controller

Post by konstantin8818 »

Hi all! :)
I've tested Damien's board today. It was simple test, but atleast everything seems to work, so I'm getting closer for my project to become openinverter, for now it is Custis based. In a few days I'll try to attach this inverter to my electric car and hopefully make it spin wheels.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Nice! I went to purchase a board but could only pick "notify me" if another run of boards is made =/
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

TheSilverBuick wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:55 am Nice! I went to purchase a board but could only pick "notify me" if another run of boards is made =/
As far as I know, this particular board is not going to show up anymore. People here decide that this design is dead end.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

That's the sense I'm getting too :(
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Well, you're in luck, because Damien made everything open source. If you're desperate for one, use his design files and send off to have a board fabricated yourself.

IIRC an updated Gen 2 board partially built using through-hole parts is on Damien's to-do list, but so are 50 other items. Meanwhile, you can buy Johannes' Gen 2 kit or Damien's Gen 3 kit.

Other than Damien, I think Konstantin is the first person I've seen actually spin a motor with the Gen 2 blue pill controller.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I'll mull it over some more. I do not have a background in electrical engineering, or computers, I'm a geologist with a car hobby, so will have to do some research on getting one off board fabricated. I'm open to pointers! Or maybe I'll put a want ad on the classified board to see if anyone is sitting on one that they aren't planning on using anymore.

As I'm learning here, Konstantin, can you tell me what is going on in the second white project box? Are these the contactors? Assuming so, what voltages (DC?) are running on the green wires in and out? Is the Damien board controlling that box relay, which I assume is tells the contactors(?) to open/close? Looking at the video, I'm assuming the DC voltage is coming in on the right hand side from a power source or battery next to the motor, through the contactors, and then to the inverter, is that correct?

Whats the difference between a contactor and a relay? Or is it just application nomenclature? Like an automotive starter solenoid is basically a big relay.
Capture.JPG
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Nice job and thanks for posting..
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

TheSilverBuick wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:36 pm Or maybe I'll put a want ad on the classified board to see if anyone is sitting on one that they aren't planning on using anymore.

As I'm learning here, Konstantin, can you tell me what is going on in the second white project box? Are these the contactors? Assuming so, what voltages (DC?) are running on the green wires in and out? Is the Damien board controlling that box relay, which I assume is tells the contactors(?) to open/close? Looking at the video, I'm assuming the DC voltage is coming in on the right hand side from a power source or battery next to the motor, through the contactors, and then to the inverter, is that correct?

Whats the difference between a contactor and a relay? Or is it just application nomenclature? Like an automotive starter solenoid is basically a big relay.
I'm currently sitting on two boards. One Damien's, shown in video, and one is Johu's gen3 board, which basically can do the same things as Damien's board. So I can sell you this board from video for the same price as I've purchased it (30 euro), if you really in need of one, and can't built it.
20200622_000936.jpg
In junction box there are two Kilovac EV200 contactors, wich are basically are big heavy duty relays, one high voltage relay from toyota prius junction box and 47kOm 50W resistor. One contactor is separated and it is for positive line, second one is for negative line and in parallel with is there is a line consisting of prius precharge relay and resistor.

In this video there is 30 Volts going thrue green wires. For now I'm under quarantine so I can't go to electronics shop to buy terminals and HV cables to run high current tests, so only low current test for now :?

Damien's board can run both precharge and main contactors, but as far as I know, main contactor should be equipped with economizer. Precharge relay only work for short period so it doesn't need economizer. And second main contactor for a safety reasons I suggest to control thrue a manual switch, so in any case you can turn it off manually.

BTW, I've performed another low current test from my 75 volts battery pack:
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Nice! I've got no qualms assembling a through hole bare board, just need to get a hold of one. If I come up empty handed I'll let you know, though if you think yours will start collecting dust I could see buying it, but don't stop testing yet!

Thank you for the explanation, and I like the idea of a manually controlled cut off with the second contactor. I need to read up on the precharge stuff.

What are you using for rpm/throttle control for your motor? Simple potentiometer?
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

TheSilverBuick wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:50 pm What are you using for rpm/throttle control for your motor? Simple potentiometer?
For now I've manually set parameter "fslipspnt" on web interface. The procedure of first set up is actually shown in wiki.
Tomorrow I'll use accelerator pedal and will try to run motor from my electric car.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Again I'm going to recommend people use the new controller for running the Gen 2 inverter :
https://openinverter.org/shop/index.php ... duct_id=63
But if you must the gerbers for my board are on github:
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Prius-Gen-2-Inverter
It won't be available from me any more.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I figured as much. Thanks for confirming.

I've got a Prius inverter for $50, hopefully today picking up a 2012 Highlander MGR for $100. So $150 into converting my ATV to electric. I'd like to keep the "proof of concept" cost down as much as possible. Hence the appeal of the through hole board.

I've signed up as a patreon for you and Johannes(so?), with the intent of a six month minimum. The development work reminds me a bunch of the DIY EFI projects of 10-15 years ago. Thanks for your time and effort!
MattsAwesomeStuff

TheSilverBuick wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:01 pmI'd like to keep the "proof of concept" cost down as much as possible. Hence the appeal of the through hole board.
JNSaff is clearing out his garage and has an already-assembled Blue Pill board, wifi interface, etc. He's selling it with the inverter but maybe he'd sell it without if you don't need one.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=859

Shipping would be from Estonia.

Just FYI.

I think I should put some effort into the Gen2 wiki page, clean up all the wrong wiring in the diagrams I had, and maybe fork it to separate the information about the Gen 2 inverter itself from the various control projects. If nothing else for archival's sake and to support Johannes' solution. I can only imagine that newcomers who weren't along for the ride are going to be confused.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:59 pm I think I should put some effort into the Gen2 wiki page, clean up all the wrong wiring in the diagrams I had, and maybe fork it to separate the information about the Gen 2 inverter itself from the various control projects. If nothing else for archival's sake and to support Johannes' solution. I can only imagine that newcomers who weren't along for the ride are going to be confused.
Don't want to offend anyone, but lately wiki become really confusing.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

konstantin8818 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:58 pm In this video there is 30 Volts going thrue green wires.

BTW, I've performed another low current test from my 75 volts battery pack:
Follow up question. 30v and 75v power supply tests, what voltage(s) are you running to the test motor?

I'm thinking before I wire up the MGR I'd test out the inverter and board with a modified car alternator and pair of car batteries wired in series. Unless I bump into some voltage minimums.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

TheSilverBuick wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:40 am Follow up question. 30v and 75v power supply tests, what voltage(s) are you running to the test motor?
I don't really understand your question. Small test motor is 220V 50Hz, first test was from 30 volts and second from 75 volts...
At first 30 volts test motor wasn't spinning at "fslipspnt 50" I've tried to do test as it was written in wiki by using custom commands, as turned out that didn't worked out.
Testing from 75 volts didn't made it spin faster. But when I've changed those "fslipspnt" and "ampnom" parameters with check boxes, it made a great difference - motor spun at any frequency I've commended as long as it was below 50 Hz.
I really don't know why custom commands didn't worked.
My traction motor was made for 80 volts and for maximum efficiency at 2000 rpm. So today hopefully I'll spin it from accelerator pedal.

Honestly, description of parameters in wiki is confusing for a non proffesional. I realise it was made by a professional for professionals, and fact that English is not my spoken language makes it even worse for me to understand it's meaning. :cry:
Berdi

Post by Berdi »

Good health to everyone !! Konstantin8818 Very good work!! I carefully monitor your project and believe in you !! )
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

I only have a basic/general understanding on electronics and technical terminology, so have limited ability to correct (or improve designs) so I too lean heavily on the wiki information.

My follow up question was simply asking if you put a voltmeter on the motor leads what voltage would be seen? Approximately the same as the input DC?
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

TheSilverBuick wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:51 pm My follow up question was simply asking if you put a voltmeter on the motor leads what voltage would be seen? Approximately the same as the input DC?
I believe so. I've never thought to put voltmeter on motor phases :?

Anyway, Damien, can you please tell me why R6 and R4 resistors are missing on the board you've sent me? Because one of issues I'm facing now is board can't see signal from AB encoder. Encoder works perfectly fine, it was working with Curtis no problem. And I read voltage from 0 to 5 volts on both A and B channels when I spin wheel by hand. I've set AB encoder in soft .
20200626_154023.jpg
Снимок экрана (292).png
And there is something wierd with main DC contactor, controlled by board... sorry for heavy russian accent :mrgreen: Appreciate any suggestions about contactors, not about accent :lol:
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

They are pullup resistors and required if the encoder does not push pull its output.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:31 pm They are pullup resistors and required if the encoder does not push pull its output.
Encoder is simple cheap AMT 102-V. Datasheet says it has TTL output, so I need to set those resistors in place.
MattsAwesomeStuff

konstantin8818 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:54 pmR6 and R4 resistors are missing
They're 1000 ohm resistors. Shouldn't be too hard to find and rip out of some other equipment if you don't have access to ordering.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:48 pm They're 1000 ohm resistors. Shouldn't be too hard to find and rip out of some other equipment if you don't have access to ordering.
Funny part of this story that I've got almost all needed components to build atleast two of this boards, Damien sold me almost fully populated board :)
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

I believe I can say that today I've become first one to drive a vehicle powered by this board 8-)
Unfortunately I was really exhausted to film while driving, and was busy tweaking inverter with my smartphone, but tomorrow I'll make a drive video and will create a thread in "projects".

Now issues I've faced:
1) Main contactor is not closing (I've nearly burnt precharge resistor today, it smoked a little :mrgreen: )
2) Precharge relay turns off when "inverter activatoin" button is pushed, but inverter is already active even before that button is pushed and it will react to accelerator pedal (that is how I've almost burned precharge resistor, inverter was being powered thrue precharge relay :o )
3) If "forward" switch is activated, it stucks "on" and inverter stays in "forward" position and runs from pedal even if "forward" switch is turned "off". But if "reverse" is activated, inverter doesn't do anything. It does not react to pedal.
4) To activate "reverse", you must activate it before switching inverter "on" then it will react to pedal, but can deactivate on its own, and if turned off by a switch, it won't activate again, untill inverter is switched off and on again.
So I'm a little confused now...
Berdi

Post by Berdi »

Thank! Informative and very useful video !! look forward to further Promotion !! )