Pre-charge and main contactor connections

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
Isaac96

Re: Pre-charge and main contactor connections

Post by Isaac96 »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:56 pm
zippy500 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:30 pm As I am going to use the cars original gearbox, thinking of putting a switch on the original clutch pedal in series with the forward wire, to put the motor in neutral ( doesn't neutral position turn of the re-gen ?) and take the load of the gearbox.
Why add complexity when no one else does this?
Yeah I'm doing this (disclaimer: not on the road yet, might be tonight). Neutral does disable regen. This is just to reduce the load on the gearbox when shifting -- there was someone on here who put a button on their shifter knob which went to the BMS input and halved allowed regen power, can't quite remember who.

@zippy500, I'm guessing you're not using a clutch? Also if you're using the gearbox reverse gear you might want to use the reverse signal from the gearbox (usually a switch) to reduce allowed power when in reverse.

-Isaac
zippy500

Post by zippy500 »

Isaac96 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:21 pm
zippy500 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:30 pm As I am going to use the cars original gearbox, thinking of putting a switch on the original clutch pedal in series with the forward wire, to put the motor in neutral ( doesn't neutral position turn of the re-gen ?) and take the load of the gearbox.
Yeah I'm doing this (disclaimer: not on the road yet, might be tonight). Neutral does disable regen. This is just to reduce the load on the gearbox when shifting -- there was someone on here who put a button on their shifter knob which went to the BMS input and halved allowed regen power, can't quite remember who.

@zippy500, I'm guessing you're not using a clutch? Also if you're using the gearbox reverse gear you might want to use the reverse signal from the gearbox (usually a switch) to reduce allowed power when in reverse.

-Isaac
have seen a few that have done this, although it was a button on the gear stick

Yes have a solid coupler, no clutch.

How is the reverse gear signal done, do you mean not to use the gearbox, and use the main board reverse function ?
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

zippy500 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:02 pm
Isaac96 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:21 pm

-Isaac
have seen a few that have done this, although it was a button on the gear stick

Yes have a solid coupler, no clutch.

How is the reverse gear signal done, do you mean not to use the gearbox, and use the main board reverse function ?
I mean using the gearbox. Then you use the reverse light switch (sometimes mounted in the gearbox) to reduce the power limit. Then it makes driving in reverse a little safer/easier.
-Isaac
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Isaac96 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:21 pm Yeah I'm doing this (disclaimer: not on the road yet, might be tonight). Neutral does disable regen. This is just to reduce the load on the gearbox when shifting -- there was someone on here who put a button on their shifter knob which went to the BMS input and halved allowed regen power, can't quite remember who.
Here you go, my old blog in Slovenian language. It works a treat with ACIM as motor becomes just a piece of iron and shifting is almost as fast as before. https://mazdamx3ev.wordpress.com/2018/0 ... lopka-ven/

I setup this through BMS pin. When it is activated it sets regen to 0% and reduces throttle to 75%. While this is used for shifting i also have the same wired to my BMS, so that if i miss the red LED signalling low battery for some reason i wouldnt miss the power drop 8-).

I also have a solid coupler. It doesnt matter, like i said motor becomes a piece of iron without any excitation. Then synchros can grab the next gear. I can even grab two gears up or down no problem, it just takes a second more for the speed to come down.

I also have a switch with which i can intentionally reduce power and remove regen in winter. I found out this is a must in snow conditions!

I use the same BMS pin with reverse light also. I had to add a diode so that 12V wouldnt trigger reverse light when i reduced power intentionally :).

A