Prius Gen2 PWM waveforms

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
stofanel

Prius Gen2 PWM waveforms

Post by stofanel »

Hello,

I just purchased a Prius Gen2 inverter module and I want to run some experiments on it. I have downloaded the wiring diagrams that show the connections to the hybrid ECU, but I still have a few questions:

1. How does the HV-ECU command a full wave, if there is only one line per phase? I thought that one needs 2 signals: one to control the high side transistor, one to control the low side transistor.

2. What are the voltage levels for the PWM? I have read somewhere that the booster module requires 10Vpp PWM. Is the same true for the inverters?

3. Are there any online resources, or perhaps some tutorials regarding this matter?
MattsAwesomeStuff

Re: Prius Gen2 PWM waveforms

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

I don't know the answers to those questions. But I also haven't seen them posted.

Damien must have figured this out when he reverse engineered it, but, there's only so many hours in the day, I haven't seen him go over it point by point or do a writeup or any such thing.
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

stofanel wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:58 am 1. How does the HV-ECU command a full wave, if there is only one line per phase? I thought that one needs 2 signals: one to control the high side transistor, one to control the low side transistor.
The transistors are driven as complementary pairs with built in deadtime control.
2. What are the voltage levels for the PWM? I have read somewhere that the booster module requires 10Vpp PWM. Is the same true for the inverters?
PWM lines are pulled high internally to about 15V. Pull low with an open collector driver to switch on upper transistor.

All of this has been covered in the "Toyota Prius Gen 2 Inverter Controller" thread; viewtopic.php?f=14&t=228

MattsAwseomeStuff wrote: I don't know the answers to those questions. But I also haven't seen them posted.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=228&p=5645&hilit=c ... tary#p5645
stofanel

Post by stofanel »

Thank you. This helps a lot