Why won't the leaf motor spin?

arber333

Re: Why won't the leaf motor spin?

Post by arber333 »

jerrykco wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:52 am
johu wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:53 am Almost, and I indeed forgot to mention it: manualid needs to be non-zero (e.g. 1) in order for manualiq to spin the motor.

This calibration procedure can be skipped with the Leaf motor and you can come back to it later: syncofs=0 isn't too far out. Just in case you want to see some spinny goodness.
SO today I tried the above Setting manualid to 1 and then set manualiq to 3. No spin. Then I tried manualiq to 10. Voilà, it started to spin up. Slowly at first and I thought great. But then I thought a jet was taking off in my room off the work bench. Wow. Scared the shit out of me. I killed the power and it took more than a minute to come down to Zero RPM. Later on, after recovering my wits, I tried it again, this time manualiq at 5. It did the same thing. I was going to try 4 but I'm a little gun shy now. But I certainly did get to "see some spinny goodness".
You need something on the shaft to provide resistance. I have the gearbox and wheels. And them you need to prepare how you add power to ID.
First you feed it 5 and when it develops speed you reduce ID to 4 or even 3 so spinup is less pronounced. This will give you time to input syncoffset.
Now i generally go and just whack 5000 into it at 60Vdc no problem, but at 360Vdc i have more respect. I add 1000, then 2000, then 3000...etc untill motor starts to whine down. When it stops i add some more ID to see if it will pickup again.
Now i start to add more offset by the 1000 untill i see motor turning the other direction. Then i calculate median between two values and set my syncoffset there.

Still you need to nave EMGCY button handy or maybe forward/reverse switch? I have 3 position switch so i can remove that input and PWM stops without alarm.
jerrykco

Post by jerrykco »

Now that I brought my battery up to 49% from 21% I am back to bench testing.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=600&start=20#p10340
Below I have what the parameters are and the WEB interface report.
With Johannes' direction I added a 2.7k Ohm resister to the Prius Throttle pedal output.
I also wired the 5v from pin 26 and ground from pin 47 to the
Prius throttle and wired the output back to Pin 29 Throttle 1 input.
The Leaf Motor and inverter are going into a 1970 MGB so there is no VCU or CAN Bus.
What I want to do next is to try to put the Inverter in run mode, forward direction and use the throttle to run the motor forward.
The documentation on the Parameters is slightly out of date. But I gather from it that I will need to switch potmode to SingleRegen
Also I know I read somewhere but I couldn't find it this morning the set up for throttle voltage at min, and at max to equal some value used by the Inverter Controller.
As you can see below from a copy of the Web Interface, I have it in run mode but haven't setup the throttle yet.
Looking for steps and advice.
Throttle test.jpg
Jerry Kauffman
jerryk48 at gmail dot com
jerrykco

Post by jerrykco »

I searched the threads some more and found this.
wigman wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:52 am The throttle programming procedure documented is a little misleading. You don’t look at potnom to do it.

You look at pot in the spot value menu when the pedal is at resting position for the potmin number, then push the pedal and hold on full throttle and refresh the web interface to get the potmax reading.

In the parameter section of the web interface, use these two numbers for potmin and potmax and flash the board with the new values. This saves your expected min and max of the pedal you are using. The sweep is then averaged by the logic.

To get the graphs or gauges you have to select L next to the spot value you want to observe.
Then under spot values you press show gauges and that will bring up a new window with a gauge for each parameter selected. If you want to show them on a running graph, go down to plot and a graph will appear at the bottom of the screen.
Going to give it a try tomorrow.
Jerry Kauffman
jerrykco

Re: Why won't the leaf motor spin? WARNING

Post by jerrykco »

PROGRESS and a Warning (Obviously this applies to a LEAF motor + Inverter)
Yes, my PRIUS throttle hook up successful.
Spinning? yes. Slowly? Sort of. But only after emergency power off and correcting the order of doing this.
WARNING the default in the LEAF Parameters for "potmin" is Zero (0).
Maximum RPM spinning will happen immediately if there is a voltage present on the Throttle input if you change potmode from "CAN"
Here is how I would approach this.
And this is assuming that you checked and verified the voltage coming out of the PRIUS PEDAL at Zero Depression is >0V (for me ~.8V)
1. Power up Inverter (12V)
2. Connect HV Battery Source (I only have the leaf Pack - Others use 4 or more 12V Lead Acid Batteries or a Fork Lift Charger)
3. Connect 12V to Momentary Start. At this point you should see OPmode = "Run"
4. Connect 12V to Forward. Check Spot Value "dir" = "Forward"
5. Check Error Status (Press "Display Error Memory")
Mine usually says "CANTIMEOUT" - I ignore that. I do not have a VCU and my 1970 MGB is CAN-less
6. Read SPOT VALUE "pot" (for me it was 800)
7. In the Parameter Section, enter the value you saw in the SPOT Value for "pot" into the Parameter "potmin" under -Throttle (for me 800)
8. Now change the parameter "potmode" under -Throttle to "SingleRegen". MOTOR should not be spinning
9. SLOWLY depress the throttle Pedal, motor will start spinning. Be careful I said SLOWLY - it reacts immediately and swiftly.

Warning again - Other adjustments must be necessary which I haven't figured out yet. It wants to suddenly jump to high current acceleration mode...... even though I was very slowly pushing the accelerator down.
I messed with throtramp: set it to 1.04 and throtramprpm: set it to 1000 and throtcur: set it to 2. But it still seems to want to accelerate whit high torque.

Now I need some help.
I did not set the Parameter "potmax" under -Throttle. It's default is 4095 which is the max.
While it was in CAN mode I did depress the pedal fully and press refresh but the spot value "pot" stayed at 800.
Would I be right to assume that I could change potmode back to CAN and restart the controller with the throttle pedal fully depressed to see the fully depressed value in POT?
Also I need more information/explanation on on what these parameters under -Throttle do to the behavior of the motor with a PRIUS throttle pedal
A. throtramp
B. throtramprpm
C. slipstart
D. throtcur.
Jerry Kauffman
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Since your car is CANless constantly set potmode to SingleRegen (or Dual if needed). Otherwise "pot" is assumed to be delivered by CAN.
throtramp "Max positive throttle slew rate " . So if you set it to 1%/10ms it means potnom will take 1000ms from 0% to 100% no matter how quickly you press the throttle
throtramprpm "No throttle ramping above this speed"
slipstart - removed in newer FOC versions, irrelevant for sync motors
throtcur - "Motor current per % of throttle travel". So if set to 2 50% throttle travel would command 2*50=100A motor current, full throttle 200A
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
jerrykco

Re: Why won't the leaf motor spin? [Success]

Post by jerrykco »

Thank you Johannes!
With that I changed to the following:
- Throttle
potmin 800
potmax 4095
pot2min 4095
pot2max 4095
potmode SingleRegen
throtramp 0.43
throtramprpm 3500
throtcur 1.03
And the throttle works great.
Video here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/2msdfpkep33nk ... e.mp4?dl=0
Jerry Kauffman
kiwifiat

Post by kiwifiat »

It may help if you take a look at this post:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=153&sid=0f6fc9050de ... =110#p5926

The value you have in your parameter listing for curki is way off the recommended setting of 20,000.
jerrykco

Post by jerrykco »

kiwifiat wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:48 pm It may help if you take a look at this post:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=153&sid=0f6fc9050de ... =110#p5926
The value you have in your parameter listing for curki is way off the recommended setting of 20,000.
Thank you Kiwifiet
I thought I had downloaded the correct json file. I just did it again from here:
https://openinverter.org/wiki/Configuration_Files
I will give this a run tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know!
Jerry Kauffman