Can you use Hall sensors instead of a resolver?

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Mouse

Can you use Hall sensors instead of a resolver?

Post by Mouse »

I'm sure I've seen an option for this but can you use Hall sensors instead of a resolver with the latest open inverter firmware?

I've got a 2.8kW scooter wheel with three hall sensors I want to get working with the Huebner firmware and a three phase intelligent IGBT module I've got.
johu
Site Admin

Re: Can you use Hall sensors instead of a resolver?

Post by johu »

Currently not.
I have written code to interface the timer with hall sensors, it's not hard. But currently the third input is occupied by il2.
It would be possible to modify the hardware. More or less use il2 input for W and assign il2 to some other pin. Then in software, when selecting Hall, switch il2 pins.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Thanks for the reply.
It was a bit much for me to go diving into and looking at the code in the time I had before the weekend campout.
I lashed up some very very crude code on an arduino to get the project working enough for the camping weekend. I'll revisit it later on as it has no working phase current limiting, low voltage detection or anything fancy like that.
P9020549.JPG
Honda IMA power IGBT module with Arduino lashup mod.
P9020551.JPG
Ready to fit to the bike.
P9040633.JPG
The field bike
P9040563.JPG
A friend testing it out for me :D

60V 2800W hub wheel with a 10s 72V-84V battery pack made from Hoverboard packs and ovcourse the Honda IMA IGBT module rated at something like 300A :)
The motor was definitely being run over it's rated current.
Nobody got it anywhere near it's top speed on the field. :D
slociviccoupe

Post by slociviccoupe »

Is that the civic hybrid igbt? The 1st gen 03-05 that has just phase inputs , few grounds, 12vdc and has a serial output for temp and few other things.
Very interested in this setup if you dont mind sharing more. Including the nano related side of it. I need a quick and dirty way to run a honda ima motor with the resolver on a honda engine.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Mouse wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:49 pm I'm sure I've seen an option for this but can you use Hall sensors instead of a resolver with the latest open inverter firmware?

I've got a 2.8kW scooter wheel with three hall sensors I want to get working with the Huebner firmware and a three phase intelligent IGBT module I've got.
There are more options for inverter besides OI. There is Lebowski which runs natural on UVW and there is VESC...

But i am sure you could introduce RLS sensor with sin cos functionality. All you need to do is setup a mount for magnet and sensing plate.
marcexec

Post by marcexec »

arber333 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:05 pm
There are more options for inverter besides OI. There is Lebowski which runs natural on UVW and there is VESC...

But i am sure you could introduce RLS sensor with sin cos functionality. All you need to do is setup a mount for magnet and sensing plate.
Arber, forgive my ignorance, but how would you mount it on a Hub motor with through axle? I have a MHM602 begging to be driven less crude than the old Kelly does. Upgrading to 36-40S at the moment.
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Getting started guide for Celeron55's iPDM56
My Suzuki RF400 build @ES
Honda IMA & Lebowski howto
arber333

Post by arber333 »

marcexec wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:41 am Arber, forgive my ignorance, but how would you mount it on a Hub motor with through axle? I have a MHM602 begging to be driven less crude than the old Kelly does. Upgrading to 36-40S at the moment.
Why cant you use 120/60deg hall sensors with Lebowski?
This is how i mounted RLS encoder to Leaf EM61 motor...
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/201 ... n-encoder/
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/2016/11/16/encoder/

If you consider fitting that to "outrunner" motor, well then you would need to get to the stator end of the shaft where you want to install the circuit and the rotating cover where you want to fit the magnet (to sample position). This will probably require lathe and some machinning, but it will be naturally centered.
Or you could make the shaft hollow and have internal small shaft fitted with that magnet on the other side of your bike. Less EMI that way...

See Emrax way of fitting the encoder/resolver to the motor
https://emrax.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... motors.pdf
marcexec

Post by marcexec »

Cheers, I read up on it and Amberwolf's thread looks promising - pairing it with an IMA inverter.
I might give the Lebowski another go - blew up DC-DC and subsequently power stage while trying to get more power out of a pair of C80800s :D
You wouldn't have a known good SMD board to sell off?

As you might guess not too keen on opening the hub.
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Getting started guide for Celeron55's iPDM56
My Suzuki RF400 build @ES
Honda IMA & Lebowski howto