TO 264 package 3 pin IGBT instead of Half bridge brick module.

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
aravinth

TO 264 package 3 pin IGBT instead of Half bridge brick module.

Post by aravinth »

Some of us can't find a suitable brick modules especially I would like to learn about building power stages by myself.
And I dont want such high power output... The absolute maximum I'll use is 10Amps max.
Soo.. someone please explain what are all the parameters should I have to look into to replace brick modules with 3 pin IGBT or even better replacing them with cheap mosfets.
Eagerly waiting for replies.
bexander

Re: TO 264 package 3 pin IGBT instead of Half bridge brick module.

Post by bexander »

Please tell us more on what you will be powering.

What battery voltage will you be running? Mosfet:s usually go up to 200V with reasonable price, above that and IGBT is proably a better option.
When transistor principle is decides you will need to design the driver circuits to be able to drive them on and off, fast.
Then time to select how much capacitance you will need depending on how much ripple you can tolerate and the ESR in the capacitors.

To do this from scratch will proably cost you more than just buying a toyota inverter whith everything designed. Drop in a logic board and you are ready to go.
So is your idea to learn and money is not an issue, build from scratch. If not, find something suitable and adapt to your needs.
aravinth

Post by aravinth »

First of all thank you so much for replying..
Ofc my ultimate aim is to power a electric motorcycle. For that I'm learning embedded systems, I have made a simple power stage, which i thought it would work but unfortunately it spins a motor for a second or so then it stops.. I'm guessing no feedback, but its a closed loop system.
I thought first i'd develop a small form factor with 48v and 5amps just for the sake of testing. Image .. I made this with circuit diagram from electronoobs ESC https://www.electronoobs.com/eng_arduino_tut91.php
As I am from India, electric vehicles are not that common here, and I can't get my hands on a Toyota inverter we don't even have a prius here,
So I'm willing to spend some money for learning (not too much though), Please suggest a power module for me, which is small and easy to learn and doesn't cost a fortune.
Attachments
20201024_103307.jpg
bexander

Post by bexander »

Ok. I would try to get the first power stage to work before building anything larger.
The board in the picture seem to be missing some components, gate drivers and also 3pc 33k resistors. Mabye the picture is taken before these where mounted?
The feedback is by measuring the Back EMF which uses the resistors I mentioned earlier.
What type of control board are you using? Arduino?
And what software are you using?
aravinth

Post by aravinth »

bexander wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:12 am The board in the picture seem to be missing some components, gate drivers and also 3pc 33k resistors. Mabye the picture is taken before these where mounted?
Yes, this is the extra board I have lying around so i took a quick pic with this.. Other board is same as this but fully populated, Microcontroller is Arduino as of now.
And for software, i use Arduino IDE.

I have recently bought a olimex stm32 h103 board, to first try to replicate this and add or remove more features later on as required.

Just a bit of background about me, and why I'm trying to build this..
For past couple of years I've converted 3 mopeds to electric " BLDC hub and lead acid with Cheap 250w chinese controller" , " BLDC hub ,lithium ion with 1000w" , " BLDC Mid drive with Lithium ion with 1000w controller: Range 110kms , top speed 85kmph" , I was a little proud of that and tried to make a real touring motorcycle, bought a Royal Enfield Himalayan frame and 10Kw ACIM motor and I have 10kWh lithium battery pack, but the controller failed prematurely while testing, since then I really want to build a controller of my own for retrofitting purposes, Then I stumbled upon this site. Now all I want to build is a high performance Motor controller. Even though I'm not fully comfortable with embedded, I would like to build my own controller. :D
I appreciate you people sharing knowledge.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Thats all very cool :) What current and voltage are you after?
Maybe this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=319
Or that: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=744
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
aravinth

Post by aravinth »

Thank you kind sir.
My battery pack is 110v and 45ah.

I've stopped doing all of the mechanical stuffs as of now... once i build the controller myself I'll scale it up or down as per my requirement. Just getting my hands on embedded and electronics as it is way more interesting.

STK551U3A2AGEVB seems fine.. ill try to get it. I'll update once I tried that module.
Thank you so much.
aravinth

Post by aravinth »

Update: Finally STK551U3A2AGEVB (Eval Board) arrived couple days ago and It works great.
I hooked up a 3 phase washing machine motor and Bluepill to the eval board And I powered the eval board with 64 volts (I don't have PSU any higher than that). Started the inverter in Manual Mode, adjusted ampnom and fslipspnt. It works great. No smoke as of now :P.

Next up, I'm gonna buy a 3 phase 1 hp motor and an Encoder, Volt and Current sensor, and I'm gonna try further.
Also please suggest me an Encoder, currently I have few Encoders available in my locality which is Autonics E50s series Encoders with ABZ output phases, will it work by just connecting the two phases A and B without hooking up Z phase?? or I do I have to get one with 2 phase output ?
Thanks.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Cool :)
Yes just hook up A and B.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9