Reorg wiki pages

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
mdrobnak

Reorg wiki pages

Post by mdrobnak »

I took a quick stab at a minor reorg that hopefully should make it easier for newbies to figure out what to do:

https://openinverter.org/wiki/New_Main_Page

I added an EV Conversion parts page, along with moving some other stuff around. Please let me know your thoughts. I'll flesh out that particular page from the thread with the same name later on this week.

-Matt
johu
Site Admin

Re: Reorg wiki pages

Post by johu »

Great you're taking this on. I took the liberty to move "Schematics and instructions" and "Using FOC software" to the existing hardware and software sections
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
4markowen

Post by 4markowen »

What's the plan with the wiki?

Should there be a OEM Hardware section where the details about inverters and motors people are discovering should be listed instead of spread across potentially multiple threads? Not that they shouldn't be there as their projects move forward and they discover things.

I just think that those pictures, 5mm lined notebook scribbles, etc., should be transferred over to a page/s as a centralised resource that people can then go over, discover the different combinations of hardware they could use and choose for their project.

Also I was thinking of pulling together a glossary of terms. TLAs are a pain when you first come across the site if you don't know what they mean. I appreciate the role they serve when getting stuff down on the page or post and that the vast majority of people don't care that the first use should explain what a Three Letter Acronym (TLA) is, or have already done that elsewhere on a different thread.

I work in Comms so it's one of those things that irks :)

Happy to pull some of this together, but asking permission rather than forgiveness.

If I had a project on the go and wasn't a lurker I'd have ploughed ahead but have a bathroom to do up first before I'm allowed to start tinkering.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

4markowen wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:46 pm Happy to pull some of this together, but asking permission rather than forgiveness.
Please proceed... it's hard to find information (especially on OEM parts) and it would be a valuable resource especially for newbs :)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

I took the first plunge and just committed my changes to the main page, and added in the Glossary from 4markowen.
4markowen

Post by 4markowen »

Thanks Matt

I'm worried I've overwritten your edit/s whilst I've been in and out of the page whilst doing my day job which allows some nice collaboration on the same page at the same time, but don't think the wiki does.

Apologises if I have wiped out your edit.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Nope, I did mine on the 4th, and the only diff between the 4th and today was your add of the Glossary (that I saw). I think it's all good.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

I started editing the Conversion Parts stuff. There's a lot in that thread, and it's gonna take some time. I'm also not sure if everything in there should be put up.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Guess it should be compiled in meaningful sections and without discussion?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
4markowen

Post by 4markowen »

Was thinking along the same lines.

Tricky to say what as I’m the wrong side of doing a project.

My thoughts were to have a consistent template for each type component. Motors I was thinking of an intermediate page listing key facts about them to then jump to much more detailed . Mainly type (FOC (see glossary :) or not) and say transverse and longitudinal, and some power output.

The detailed motor page expands on the stats, torque curves, voltages.
Hopefully some nice diagrams for sizing purposes for conversions or even cad files
Connectors, pin maps, and so on. And a dedicated section around driving the motor with the open inverter and maybe paired oem inverters.

OEM Inverters obviously tie into how to drive/control them.

Would be interested in those who’ve completed a project in what they wanted to know prior to starting.

Personally, I’m thinking a Lexus/Toyota MGR and a Prius Gen3 inverter for my Audi A2, but don’t know what batteries, Bms, or charger to use or would wouldn’t work. That’s a question for another thread, but my point is how do I make those decisions and can they be sign posted on the components page? Or will that always be for this forum?
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

4markowen wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:52 pm My thoughts were to have a consistent template for each type component. Motors I was thinking of an intermediate page listing key facts about them to then jump to much more detailed . Mainly type (FOC (see glossary :) or not) and say transverse and longitudinal, and some power output.
That sounds like what we need, basically brief overviews and then the nitty gritty. Maybe a motor comparison page? Or that's already what you mean.
Personally, I’m thinking a Lexus/Toyota MGR and a Prius Gen3 inverter for my Audi A2, but don’t know what batteries, Bms, or charger to use or would wouldn’t work. That’s a question for another thread, but my point is how do I make those decisions and can they be sign posted on the components page? Or will that always be for this forum?
It seems like the forum is best for general project advice. Although we could have a page which explains how to match components, maybe with a glossary.
How about a list of known working motor/inverter combos, also with links to build threads. As more projects get completed (i've spent 3 years....) we'll grow the knowledge base.

One thing we certainly need is more inverter parameter files. We've got Tesla config files up already and a couple other ones too https://openinverter.org/wiki/Configuration_Files

Hopefully everyone with a working system can get their files up?

-Isaac
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

4markowen wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:52 pm Personally, I’m thinking a Lexus/Toyota MGR and a Prius Gen3 inverter for my Audi A2, but don’t know what batteries, Bms, or charger to use or would wouldn’t work. That’s a question for another thread, but my point is how do I make those decisions and can they be sign posted on the components page? Or will that always be for this forum?
So my intention with the EV Components page was to add on as much info as we know about a given type.
I did neglect to put battery management in there. Added that in. :) I also added two systems I know of. I went with SimpBMS, because I am going to have 96 cells, which matches a stock Chevy Volt BMS. So that will work very well for me. And inexpensively.

We do already have some info on things. But...
Isaac96 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:15 pm It seems like the forum is best for general project advice. Although we could have a page which explains how to match components, maybe with a glossary.
I'd say the right thing to do is gather your thoughts on likely combinations (based on wiki and forum, hopefully just wiki soon...), stick it in a build thread, and see what people think. That's where I got going from.

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

LOL oops, I started a reply and forgot about it:
Yeah I started out with just "Hey I know these are PMSM / need FOC firmware motors..."
I'm trying to get the links on that motor list into WikiMedia format. <a href=...> is not the right way to go here.

I also have no idea how to delete stuff.
File:Ade910b746c28a30f6e6e2c9086c.jpg needs to be deleted, as well as New_Main_Page. (Stupid form re-populated the filename after I set it)

-Matt
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Looks like pages cannot be deleted by any users.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Del ... undeletion

The EV Conversion Parts page is looking great!
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Aight looks like wikimedia format for links is as follows:
[http://google.com Google] with a space between the URL and the visible name. I changed the "Revolt" link to that and it looks like it worked!
EDIT I messed it up a bit, will edit again. Oops
EDIT EDIT Looks like it's working now???? No idea how to deal with webarchive though. Good luck!
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

I whipped this trash (but useful trash) up:
cp linktable.txt linkoutput.txt before starting..

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
OLDIFS=$IFS
IFS="
"
for i in  $(cat linkoutput.txt | egrep -o '<a href=.*</a>')
do
  IFS=$OLDIFS
  URL=$(echo $i | awk -Fhref=\" '{print $2}' |awk -F\" '{print $1}')
#  echo "URL is $URL"
  TEXT=$(echo "$i" |sed "s|<a href=\"${URL}\">||g" |sed 's|</a>||g')
#  echo "TEXT IS $TEXT"
  # Get rid of Wayback part of the URL.
  URL=$(echo "$URL" | sed 's#https://web.archive.org##g')
  # Escaping
  INPUT=$(echo "$i" | sed 's/\[/\\[/g')
  URL=$(echo "$URL" | sed 's/\&/\\&/g')
  TEXT=$(echo "$TEXT" | sed 's/\&/\\&/g')
  # Get rid of links to pages that don't exist.
  if [[ $URL =~ "redlink" ]]
  then
    NEWTEXT="[[${TEXT}]]"
  else
    NEWTEXT="[${URL} ${TEXT}]"
  fi
  sed -i "s|${INPUT}|${NEWTEXT}|g" linkoutput.txt
done

As a result I got the Motor list in a little better condition.

At least mostly. Still working on it.

Edit: That list had a _lot_ of "red" (ie not filled in) pages anyway. Hopefully at least its a little more editable now.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

https://openinverter.org/wiki/Motor_List has been cleaned up. Ran through it twice with the script, and got 99% of it. Fixed the last few by hand.

-Matt
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Looks great!
-Isaac
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Any thoughts on how we differentiate between "open inverter" and more general projects? For example the GS450H VCU is not based on the open inverter hardware/software and it's very confusing IMO.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
xp677

Post by xp677 »

Have another section for non-openinverter solutions which have been created by the openinverter community.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

As of right now I think the only two that fall under that category are the Nissan Leaf and GS450h VCUs, correct?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

mdrobnak wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:44 pm As of right now I think the only two that fall under that category are the Nissan Leaf and GS450h VCUs, correct?
I'd say the Tesla charger, CHAdeMO controller, SimpBMS, Model 3 BMS, and PowerWatcher are not "Open Inverter" projects... a simply differentiator would be anything that's not running the Hübner core design :)
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:51 pm
mdrobnak wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:44 pm As of right now I think the only two that fall under that category are the Nissan Leaf and GS450h VCUs, correct?
I'd say the Tesla charger, CHAdeMO controller, SimpBMS, Model 3 BMS, and PowerWatcher are not "Open Inverter" projects... a simply differentiator would be anything that's not running the Hübner core design :)
Fair.

For now I called out the two VCUs, but probably should have a container page with categories.

-Matt
4markowen

Post by 4markowen »

I've been messing around a bit further with the main page and had a go at starting to dive deeper into the pages that should sit behind it.

I'll likely suck up the information and photos on the forum and plan on initially focusing on the Toyota MGR motor. To flesh out the page for that as it appears there a lot of information in that thread, and personally it's the motor I'd like to initially use for my own project.

Similarly I was looking to create further OEM pages pulling details together for the Prius Inverter Gen3 and likely the BMW Hybrid Batteries as that's got a lot of work around.

The idea being these pages can form a basis for a template and hopefully maintain some consistency across the wiki and provide a framework for others on the forum to be able to drop information in more readily.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

I love what you did so far. My only concern is if the 'related projects' list becomes so large, we have to bump it off the main page. I was trying to achieve a happy median with what I did.

-Matt