Where to buy Toyota and Lexus motor and battery cables

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Matthew Dresser

Where to buy Toyota and Lexus motor and battery cables

Post by Matthew Dresser »

I've got Damian's Toyota Prius Gen 3 brain transplant board, an Auris inverter and a Lexus RX450h MGR unit.
Looking on eBay I see various HV wiring looms available, but the Lexus ones are pretty pricey (seems that price is proportional to original car price, rather than the fact that its a piece of copper cable with some connectors on the end ;) ). I think I'd need the rear motor and battery loom to plug into the MRG phase cables. I'd like to use the correct connectors to keep things waterproof etc.

Where is the best place to buy this stuff?
Follow my ev conversion story here: https://www.matthewdresser.com/ev/conversion
konstantin8818

Re: Where to buy Toyota and Lexus motor and battery cables

Post by konstantin8818 »

I've bought everything at local used parts dealer. Funny thing is that Lexus HV cable and MGR are much cheaper than Toyota ones=)
Toyota Highlander MGR is 250euro but the same lexus RX400h MGR is for 90 euros.
HV cable from RX400h containes both DC cable and three phase cable for MGR and all wires for sensors. I've paid 20 euro for it. Only DC cable from Prius costs the same =\
The thing with prices is about car popularity. RX400h are rare, so parts for them are cheaper here.

BTW, our used parts dealer chopping all cars in UK, so all toyota and lexus parts here are from UK =)
sfk

Post by sfk »

Rarer parts are cheaper? I would though common parts would be because they become a commodity and then cheapest seller gets the sale.
-< Mazda Eunos JC Cosmo rotary -> EV conversion w/ Lexus GS450H gear >-
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

sfk wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:15 pm Rarer parts are cheaper? I would though common parts would be because they become a commodity and then cheapest seller gets the sale.
Now imagine how I was surprised, when they told me about that. They say those cars are not common and noone need parts for them.
sfk

Post by sfk »

Excellent. Don't tell them they're the same. Or maybe they are a bit different?
I guess they just don't want stuff hanging around on shelves for years and so sell cheap.
-< Mazda Eunos JC Cosmo rotary -> EV conversion w/ Lexus GS450H gear >-
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

sfk wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:31 pm Excellent. Don't tell them they're the same. Or maybe they are a bit different?
I guess they just don't want stuff hanging around on shelves for years and so sell cheap.
It's a big state-grade supplier, I was talking to technician at one of their shops, so I don't think he'll tel his bosses about that=)
I'm actually looking forward to buy another MGR if the one I have, will spin sucsessfully, and maybe RX400h inverter as it cost a little more than gen2 prius.
MGRs are both marked "2FM" They are the most powerfull ones.
Matthew Dresser

@konstantin8818 any chance you could buy one of those wiring looms and post it back to the UK for me? ;-)

I guess I need to go to a scrap yard and find the part myself then - probably cheaper way to get it than ebay. eBay seems to be a bit of a mix. Sometimes you get a bargain, other times there are just a load of people trying their luck at selling stuff for huge prices!
Follow my ev conversion story here: https://www.matthewdresser.com/ev/conversion
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Matthew Dresser wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:32 am @konstantin8818 any chance you could buy one of those wiring looms and post it back to the UK for me? ;-)

I guess I need to go to a scrap yard and find the part myself then - probably cheaper way to get it than ebay. eBay seems to be a bit of a mix. Sometimes you get a bargain, other times there are just a load of people trying their luck at selling stuff for huge prices!
https://motorland.by/auto-parts/lexus/r ... kovoltnyj/ that is all they have got for now. Hybrids are not really popular here :( Currency is BYN, so make a conversion for yourself=)
Honestly, you are living like 70km from London. There is no way you guys have got no such used parts dealers there.
But those few web sites of parts sellers I just surfed are complete disaster.
Matthew Dresser

oh cool thanks for that link.
What is 52 p. in GBP approximately? I'm not even sure what currency p is!

Agreed the used parts websites are rubbish. I have a feeling that if a motor breaker advertises their stuff online, then they advertise at massive prices, otherwise they are offline sellers and maybe have cheap prices?
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Matthew Dresser wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:25 am What is 52 p. in GBP approximately? I'm not even sure what currency p is!
As I wrote, currency is BYN. 52 BYN is 16.5 GBP by our bank's course. Our prices are joke compared to yours :) Salaries are as well :cry:
16.5 GBP for loom with some ECU. Just for loom itself 12 GBP.
Lexus RX400H MGR for example is 85 GBP.
Lexus GS transmission is 250 GBP.
Don't forget you also need to add transport fee and customs tax if there is one.
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

Has anyone encountered this problem with the MGR connectors. I have the 2FM from an RX450h and the cable harness from also RX450h (both are allegedly obv.).

But the motor connector does not fit. On the motor side there seems to be an extra 2cm or so of housing which blocks the contacts from being made. I assume there must be different connectors or different years had differences but if anyone has some additional info I'd be greatful. I'm considering butchering the connector on the cable side to three independent ones so it would connect but appreciate any experience before I go down that route.
IMG_2972.jpg
IMG_2974.jpg
IMG_2975.jpg
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

To answer my own question, it looks like mine is missing an intermediate housing connector. Like on this photo.
2613499_9d472824-9a6a-4f77-84e0-00804f38b445.jpeg
As things stand, it may be cheaper to get a new MGR for about 100EUR.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

jnsaff wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:23 am To answer my own question, it looks like mine is missing an intermediate housing connector.
As things stand, it may be cheaper to get a new MGR for about 100EUR.
I've almost bought myself MGR without that connector as well, good thing, I've noticed it missing and there were some more MGRs to choose from.
I bet parts dealer will sell you that connector separately for 5-10 euros :D