GS450h Hybrid Transplant Question

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
mdrobnak

GS450h Hybrid Transplant Question

Post by mdrobnak »

Something recently said in the thread about boosting the stock GS450h's output stood out to me:
celeron55 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:07 pm The stock hybrid ECU controls the transmission by varying the bus voltage for being able to capture all of the power from the ICE. It can't vary the voltage if you connect the battery directly, and even if it could make sense of the situation, you'd lose most of the power capability of the ICE as MG1 would have to produce power into a severely limited bus voltage. Not much sense carrying a 6 cylinder around and being able to pull maybe 30% of original power from it.
Hmm. I didn't think about this part too hard. Is this because of the 288V battery issue? What about if we're talking closer to standard 96S LiOn situation (~360 - 400V)? I was planning on using the stock inverter with Damien's VCU and my own sauce to control the engine part. Are you saying that I'd have to vary MG1 to produce near battery voltage by controlling the speed?

My original idea was to have a 3 way switch that set EV, Hybrid, and Stock (mostly for emissions testing). Thought was with stock I'd have MG1 and Engine speed stay in sync to basically output what the engine power was.

But it sounds like if bypassing the inductor, this design is flawed from the get go. And if that's the case, then you're still limited to the power capabilities of the inductor if you end up using it?

Just trying to wrap my head around the situation here.

-Matt
nasekin

Re: GS450h Hybrid Transplant Question

Post by nasekin »

the motor turns mg1 through a 1:3,4 reduction gear to get the voltage and power to operate mg2,
moscow
nasekin

Post by nasekin »

how to connect a 400v network instead of mg1 for charging a battery that is connected directly
moscow
nasekin

Post by nasekin »

mg1 outputs at 12000 rpm 600v ac
moscow