New Electric CHAdeMO Controller

Buy and sell
Kevin Sharpe

New Electric CHAdeMO Controller

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Update 30/10/2019 - NE has released this project as open source and Damien will take it forward 8-)

Some questions have been asked about the CHAdeMO controller used by Damien (here). I thought i'd start a thread with what I know today and then update everyone after the Fully Charged Live Show.

The controller is an updated version of the JLD505 developed by EVTV and friends in 2015. Today it interfaces directly to a number of BMS controllers, has CE tested hardware, and an optional app for configuration.

The controller has undertaken extensive compatibility testing on two vehicles that have been driven around The Netherlands visiting the various rapid charging vendors and operators. The fact it worked the first time for Damien is encouraging 8-)

IMG-20190516-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20190516-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20190516-WA0000.jpg
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
JaniK

Re: New Electric CHAdeMO Controller

Post by JaniK »

Hello

Look like a great little set, Is there any info on availability and pricing?
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
larsrengersen

Post by larsrengersen »

A small update on this one.
Last week I received the last version of the schematic. That version is even easier to implement / wire up as the previous one.
Cannot say anything about availability and pricing unfortunately.
New Electric is currently sourcing a manufacturer for a first batch of assembled boards.
Evtorque

Post by Evtorque »

Very interested please email us when you have info will it talk to a Orion bms.

Cheers Conrad
Jora Karandas

Post by Jora Karandas »

Evtorque wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:29 am Very interested please email us when you have info will it talk to a Orion bms.

Cheers Conrad
I thought Orion BMS has CHAdeMO implemented, isn't it?
Fiat Panda Model S build thread in italian :)
tom91

Post by tom91 »

I would love to get this controller working together with Simp BMS but would need information on what the controller wants to see to function.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

tom91 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:45 pm I would love to get this controller working together with Simp BMS but would need information on what the controller wants to see to function.
I've asked the folks in Amsterdam for an update.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:55 pm
tom91 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:45 pm I would love to get this controller working together with Simp BMS but would need information on what the controller wants to see to function.
I've asked the folks in Amsterdam for an update.
Some good news... Damien will take this project forward as open source :)
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Thats awesome! :D
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
larsrengersen

Post by larsrengersen »

In terms of integration as mentioned it is quite straightforward.
Have to mention that I do not have the board yet and have not been able to test so it is just on paper and thus to be seen as preliminary / draft.
When you plugin the CHAdeMO connector the proximity acts as a wake-up signal.
There are a few handshakes between the controller and the CHAdeMO charger and in this process the controller triggers the BMS to go into charge mode. It is a requirement that this does not take too long due to the handshake timing. From the top of my head this is 2 seconds so I think that should not be a problem but I am not familiar with the Simp nor Orion BMS (which as said should support CHAdeMO without this extra controller already. Orion CHAdeMO integration documentation found here).
In this CHAdeMO charge startup process the controller closes the CHAdeMO contactors.
Sorry if the above is a bit fuzzy.
jkelly77

Post by jkelly77 »

My son (Isaac96 on this forum) built a JLD505 based on the EVTV project, with some changes. And modified the code a bit too. Works great on our car and should work for anyone.

Overview here.
https://www.electricboxster.com/page-3

His build list is below.
-Arduino (I used a Pro Mini)
-CAN module - MCP2515 type. Find on Amazon
-Isolated 12v-5v converter - PG02S1205A;
-INA226 breakout from eBay with voltage divider and external high current shunt
-I2C isolator because the ina226 isn't isolated-these are only surface mount; I used a ISO1540DR
-Isolated 5V-5V converter also for the ina226 - I used an ROE-0505S

Optocouplers for input; I used cheap PC817 ones from Amazon; 2x

MOSFETs with low side drivers for open collector output
MOSFETs - just random ones I found IRFZ24NPBF; 2x
Driver - again, generic part IR25600PBF; 1x

On the high-current side, I used a pair of Leaf contactors from eBay because they are cheap and definitely work.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ni...

One side goes to the CHAdeMO port and the other to your pack. The JLD will control these contactors - don't forget the flyback diode across the coil.

The other output and the inputs of the JLD go to the CHAdeMO port. My GitHub has basic schematics for that. https://github.com/Isaac96/EV-Code/tree/master/IJLD505