Tesla Charger Support Thread

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
rx7r3ev

Re: Tesla Charger Support Thread

Post by rx7r3ev »

I have my Gen2 v3 logic board that does not seem to detect the EVSE when its plug in. The serial monitor seems to confirm that its not detecting the EVSE and the modules are off.

When power is on the logic board lights up. The module does not light up. Attempted to remove and wiggle install the logic board to make sure its pins/connectors are all set in properly.

I have read to the earlier postings on grounding the EVSE-AC, Charger Case grouding and I've confirm those. I've use two different EVSE unit and tested them against the charger with the same results. I have attempted configuring Module Enabled {1, 2, 3 or all 3}; Same with varying Auto Enabled {on; off}; Port Type is {1}; AC Current {15A}; and Can Mode to {off; master} -- all to no avail.

The DC output port is verified and connected to HV battery. I'm not getting any AC input at the charger port which is probably as expected since the EVSE did not start charging.

Any idea please help. Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 10.26.27 PM.png
IMG_7813.jpg
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

rx7r3ev wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:20 am I have my Gen2 v3 logic board that does not seem to detect the EVSE when its plug in. The serial monitor seems to confirm that its not detecting the EVSE and the modules are off.
Are you confident the wiring to the EVSE connector is correct? What happens to the voltage on the proximity input at the charger when you plug in the EVSE connector or push the EVSE connector button (if you have one)?

What happens if you test without an EVSE (see here)?

What is your battery voltage measured at the charger?
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
rx7r3ev

Post by rx7r3ev »

I did some measurements today and below are the readings:

Measured at the charger socket connector when the EVSE is plug in securely. The Pilot voltages is at 12volts. The proximity resistance is at 143.4 Ohms. The DC pack is at 358 volts.

What I've been noticing is that the on the logger (see attached picture), the Proximity Status is seems to be stuck at the "Button Pressed ". I made sure that the button clicks properly when plugin in. Also did cross check it with another EVSE and the log reads the same. Also made measurements for the proximity resistance with this other EVSE and its sets in at 141.5 Ohms.

Tomorrow, I try running the charger in manual mode with a live AC feed and report back.

Any other tips why the proximity is not being read properly? Thanks!

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:32 am
rx7r3ev wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:20 am I have my Gen2 v3 logic board that does not seem to detect the EVSE when its plug in. The serial monitor seems to confirm that its not detecting the EVSE and the modules are off.
Are you confident the wiring to the EVSE connector is correct? What happens to the voltage on the proximity input at the charger when you plug in the EVSE connector or push the EVSE connector button (if you have one)?

What happens if you test without an EVSE (see here)?

What is your battery voltage measured at the charger?
Attachments
charger_log.jpg
dc_volts.jpg
proximity.jpg
pilot.jpg
rx7r3ev

Post by rx7r3ev »

I run the charger using a live 120 volts AC (single phase) input connected in parallel to the AC input of the charger. That worked. The modules turned on. I've tried running just 1, or 2, or 3 and it seems to worked fine. Below is the picture of the log and the settings.

After that went back and attempted to run the charger using the J1772 (with the config for EVSE use) but still no luck.

I've measured the proximity pin on the J1772 for voltage and it was 0 volts when button is pressed. And also 0 volts when release. Is this as expected? The resistance does change as in my previous post above.
Attachments
Charger modules on
Charger modules on
Manual mode log
Manual mode log
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Tesla Gen 3 charger working flawlessly in BEXUS this week 8-)
IMG-20200308-WA0004.jpg
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

rx7r3ev wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:07 am I've measured the proximity pin on the J1772 for voltage and it was 0 volts when button is pressed. And also 0 volts when release. Is this as expected? The resistance does change as in my previous post above.
If you're measuring the pin on the J1772 connector (i.e. not plugged into the charger) then yes this is expected because the EVSE does not supply voltage on the pin.

Here's a description of the J1772 proximity pin from Open EVSE (here);

"The proximity runs between the EV and the J1772 handle, some J1772 cordsets include 4 wires (AC Hot 1, AC Hot 2, Ground, Pilot) and some have 5 wires an additional to access the proximity circuit.

From the J1772 handle (not connected to vehicle) the proximity circuit should read about 150 ohms when measured from proximity to ground. When the button is pressed the reading should increase to about 480 ohms. The change in resistance signals the EV to stop pulling current."

What you want to verify is the proximity pin behaviour at the charger when the J1772 connector is plugged in. What voltage do you measure on the charger control board resistor R12? Does this change when you press the J1772 button?
9018719465_9df5c4392e_b.jpg
Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 11.44.11.png
joromy

Post by joromy »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:24 am Tesla Gen 3 charger working flawlessly in BEXUS this week 8-)
Nice, I have the Gen 2, but it's not waterproof. So I must have it inside.

I have started a new build and don't have room to have it inside.
The Gen 3 looks waterproof, is it?
Thomas A. Edison “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

joromy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:22 pm The Gen 3 looks waterproof, is it?
I've only seen Gen 3 chargers that are missing the metal cover that sits over the orange power connectors. If this cover includes a seal then everything else looks waterproof.
maxresdefault.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
et0

Post by et0 »

Hi all,
Requesting help for first start please - I have a Gen 2 with V4 PCB. I have loaded the Gen2TeslaChargerV4.ino

I don't have an EVSE handy, so I've wired the AC inputs to a 16A plug temporarily and just want to get some charge into the 320V battery.

I can turn off "auto start" in the menu, and then press "s" to start - a red LED comes on but nothing changes on the debug output (says not active), and no current flowing. No LEDs lighting up on the charger modules. Verified that there is definitely AC and DC present at the connectors, and the 12V supply.

What can I check?

Thanks

Code: Select all

191380 State: 0 Phases : 0 Modules Avtive : 0 OFF  D1 L
Modules Turned OFF
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

et0 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:17 pm What can I check?
I'd recommend you read through this thread from the beginning, lots details buried in here :)
et0

Post by et0 »

Agreed, and I have, more than once!

So I'm just asking for a bit of guidance, as a newcomer. Should it now be working, based on what I wrote above, and what should I be seeing?

Started to check signals - the module connector gets 12V and 5V_OUTs OK, but ENABLEs are low. So presumably the micro is not setting these. Not sure why not. Is there any special trick to getting it to run without EVSE?

Edit - update: IN1 wasn't properly connected to a +12V feed, that is necessary. "D1 L" in the debug was the clue.
et0

Post by et0 »

With that corrected, I get more info from the debug...

Two lights are on (module 1 and 3) although I have all 3 enabled in the menu.

Proximity Status : Unconnected AC limit : 0 /Cable Limit: 0 /Module Cur Request: 333 /DC total Cur:0.01 /DC Setpoint:340 /DC tVolt:355 /DC driven AC Cur Lim: 16248
184366 State: 1 Phases : 0 Modules Avtive : 3 ON   D1 H
  Phase 1 Feebback //  AC present: 0  AC volt: 2  AC cur: 0.00  DC volt: 321  DC cur: 0.01  Inlet Targ: 216  Temp Lim Cur: 15  17  25 EN:0 Flt:1 Stat:100001
  Phase 2 Feebback //  AC present: 0  AC volt: 0  AC cur: 0.00  DC volt: 0  DC cur: 0.00  Inlet Targ: 0  Temp Lim Cur: 0  0  0 EN:0 Flt:0 Stat:0
  Phase 3 Feebback //  AC present: 0  AC volt: 2  AC cur: 0.00  DC volt: 323  DC cur: 0.00  Inlet Targ: 216  Temp Lim Cur: 15  17  25 EN:0 Flt:1 Stat:100001
After connecting the AC power the module LEDs go out and the debug shows this instead:

Proximity Status : Unconnected AC limit : 0 /Cable Limit: 0 /Module Cur Request: 333 /DC total Cur:0.01 /DC Setpoint:340 /DC tVolt:355 /DC driven AC Cur Lim: 16248
277552 State: 2 Phases : 0 Modules Avtive : 3 OFF  D1 H
Modules Turned OFF
Again, any advice on what I should see here would be great. Thanks!
tom91

Post by tom91 »

you need to turn on the AC as soon as you command 's' for start.

Module 2 is not reporting anything, so it might be broken/not powered up.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
et0

Post by et0 »

Thanks Tom. I was doing that, but the module LEDs would immediately go out, and I'd have to reset the controller and press 's' again to get them back.

However after trying it multiple times, with different modules enabled etc, suddenly it started working (clicks, and then charge current).
Now it charges whenever the IN1 input and AC power is connected, it doesn't seem to need the 's' command.

Something seems a bit random.

Module 2 has never lit up though, I will try to check that it's got the right signals. It could be that I was sold a defective unit.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

et0 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:24 pm Something seems a bit random.
Do you have a solid 12V ground connection to your charger metalwork?
et0

Post by et0 »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:50 pm
et0 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:24 pm Something seems a bit random.
Do you have a solid 12V ground connection to your charger metalwork?
Yes, have been very careful about that due to reading all the issues people had. AC Earth, car chassis and charger metalwork is bonded together with something like 6mm cable, and the 12V battery is right next to the charger.
et0

Post by et0 »

OK, some progress! There is nothing wrong with module 2, it was just a lifted pin on the connector, which happened to be enable #2.

So they all fire up now and I've turned it up to 20A (briefly, without cooling) - no problem.

However, still one issue - as above when turning on the power for the first time, the module lights will go out. I found the only way to get past that is press the reset button!! It then starts right up and charges. And weirdly it then happily accepts the power being cycled as much as you want.

I wondered if the processor is resetting for some reason (a transient, or related to earthing), and turning off the outputs..
Doesn't seem to be related to whether the USB cable is plugged in.

Any ideas? I appreciate the help so far, it's always a lot easier to debug something if you have the first idea of how it's supposed to behave when it's working...
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

et0 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:57 pm Any ideas?
Try gently tapping the controller board, wiring harness, connectors, etc., while it's working. Also review the controller board for any missing components. Maybe a high res photo of the controller board would allow us to do a comparison with a known working board.

What's the history of this board? Purchased from Damien, a third party, or a home build?
et0

Post by et0 »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:01 pm
et0 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:57 pm Any ideas?
Try gently tapping the controller board, wiring harness, connectors, etc., while it's working. Also review the controller board for any missing components. Maybe a high res photo of the controller board would allow us to do a comparison with a known working board.

What's the history of this board? Purchased from Damien, a third party, or a home build?
Thoroughly wiggle tested it! Yes, this is a home built board - I made this last year when none were available and no reply about whether more would be made. Of course by the time I got around to putting it in the car, there's another batch...

However I've ruled out a reset / crash. It's fully repeatable, now I understand the sequence, but definitely seems wrong. So I'm wondering if it's a software issue with this Gen2TeslaChargerV4.ino file - has anyone else actually used it in the "no evse" manual mode? I will try to trace what happens.

edit: found one bug, line 360:

else
      {
        bChargerEnabled == false;
        state = 0;
      }
et0

Post by et0 »

OK, I couldn't find the exact cause but removing the call to "manualMode()" on line 417 solves the problem. The charger now starts on the 's' command, as it says in all the instructions and as Tom said.

So, take note, I guess! I will be making some code changes anyway so will submit a working version when the time comes..
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

et0 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:31 pm I will be making some code changes anyway so will submit a working version when the time comes..
Many thanks :)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Please read the comments at the top of the code :

-Added manual control mode for use of charger without EVSE. Digital one in when brought to +12v commands the charger to start
and when brought low commands charger off. This mode also control HVDC via digital out 1 and AC mains via a contactor via Digital out 2.-Working.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Due to the Covid-19 restrictions some areas are not accepting postal shipments. This is causing delays in my shipping timetable for Tesla and other boards to customers. Where possible alternative arrangements will be made with private couriers (DHL etc) to effect delivery. If no delivery service is available then the item will be retained until normal service resumes. If you are waiting for an item and feel this may have affected you then please contact ino@evbmw.com to check with me.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
et0

Post by et0 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:31 am Please read the comments at the top of the code :

-Added manual control mode for use of charger without EVSE. Digital one in when brought to +12v commands the charger to start
and when brought low commands charger off. This mode also control HVDC via digital out 1 and AC mains via a contactor via Digital out 2.-Working.
Hey Damien, I did see that, thanks. It would be quite a useful function for me. However, I don't find it to work properly. It looks like the code sets it into state 2 continuously when IN2 is high. So it never gets back to state 1 to actually charge. Or something like that. Try it and see!

Anyway, thought it was worth a heads up for anyone else coming to it fresh, as that is different to what the instructions say.
et0

Post by et0 »

[duplicate]