Tesla Charger Support Thread

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
Jack Bauer

Re: Tesla Charger Support Thread

Post by Jack Bauer »

Just to update. V5 boards being built by JLC, software in progress. Boards will be ready for sale once tested.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

JLC making a start on the new v5 board builds.
Attachments
Produce_DanZhi.SMT_Snapshot.Top.2707872A_Y24.SMT020021021180.png
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

The new firmware will support a wifi module running a version of the universal interface.
Configuration will be done over usart 1 using the same interface as the previous software. Once bugs are worked out a new release which allows for wifi configuration will be made available.

The information will be provided over serial to the esp8266 at 19200 baud 8n1 on uart3 in the form :
vaxxx,vbxxx,vcxxx,iaxxx,ibxxx,icxxx,uaxxx,ubxxx,ucxxx,aaxxx,abxxx,acxxx* where :

va=AC volts Module 1
vb=AC volts Module 2
vc=AC volts Module 3
ia=AC Current Module 1
ib=AC Current Module 2
ic=AC Current Module 3
ua=DC Volts Module 1
ub=DC Volts Module 2
uc=DC Volts Module 3
aa=DC Current Module 1
ab=DC Current Module 1
ac=DC Current Module 1
*=end of string
xxx=three digit integer for each parameter eg va230 = 230volts.
updates will be every 100ms approx.
cancer038

Post by cancer038 »

Hello everyone, I've been researching tesla charger for a long time. I have a renault fluence ze electric vehicle. A friend in Europe gave me 2 tesla gen2 chargers. products have not arrived yet. I will now have a few questions for knowledgeable friends.
- How do I test the durability of devices before buying Damien's charger controller, arduino etc? What kind of load should I connect to the output resistance or lamp
- how the coolant pump is activated. How can I start if I make a pipe connection from the existing coolant pump in my vehicle.
- Does Damien's charger controller card work with commands only?
- If the battery voltage is low, the dc output current will change automatically again.
- When I plug the car into charge I have to make a pilot cp connection to be activated with the built-in renault charger.
- If I do not use dc output terminals hvjb, will it be a problem if I do it in parallel?
thank you very much if you add detailed and if possible pictures.
I'm sorry for my bad english :)
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

cancer038 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:15 pm Hello everyone, I've been researching tesla charger for a long time. I have a renault fluence ze electric vehicle. A friend in Europe gave me 2 tesla gen2 chargers. products have not arrived yet. I will now have a few questions for knowledgeable friends.
- How do I test the durability of devices before buying Damien's charger controller, arduino etc? What kind of load should I connect to the output resistance or lamp
- how the coolant pump is activated. How can I start if I make a pipe connection from the existing coolant pump in my vehicle.
- If the battery voltage is low, the dc output current will change automatically again.
- When I plug the car into charge I have to make a pilot cp connection to be activated with the built-in renault charger.
- If I do not use dc output terminals hvjb, will it be a problem if I do it in parallel?
I suggest that you download the files off github and read all the PDFs, that will answer most of your questions. And review the posts in this thread.

Cooling, there’s no coolant pump in the charger you just need to run cooling threw it when in use. just have it part of the cooling loop and a fan and pump on a relay controlled thermostat to automatically come on at the right temperature

running a charger in slave mode- no need for the hvjb, it just makes it easy. you just parallel the connections.

Works with commands only? What do u mean? It will work automatically once set up. Plug in and it starts charging
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
cancer038

Post by cancer038 »

Bratitude wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:26 pm
cancer038 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:15 pm Hello everyone, I've been researching tesla charger for a long time. I have a renault fluence ze electric vehicle. A friend in Europe gave me 2 tesla gen2 chargers. products have not arrived yet. I will now have a few questions for knowledgeable friends.
I suggest that you download the files off github and read all the PDFs, that will answer most of your questions. And review the posts in this thread.

Cooling, there’s no coolant pump in the charger you just need to run cooling threw it when in use. just have it part of the cooling loop and a fan and pump on a relay controlled thermostat to automatically come on at the right temperature

running a charger in slave mode- no need for the hvjb, it just makes it easy. you just parallel the connections.

Works with commands only? What do u mean? It will work automatically once set up. Plug in and it starts charging
Thank you for your answer. do you work with commands? so my car has 400v battery. tesla charger make 395 volts. the rest of the built-in charger should balance. Do I have to set the maximum voltage value every time to set it. How should I test first without Damien's charger controller?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

cancer038 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:06 pm Thank you for your answer. do you work with commands? so my car has 400v battery. tesla charger make 395 volts. the rest of the built-in charger should balance. Do I have to set the maximum voltage value every time to set it.
Please follow this advice;
Bratitude wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:26 pm I suggest that you download the files off github and read all the PDFs, that will answer most of your questions. And review the posts in this thread.
then ask your questions if you want help :)
cancer038 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:06 pm How should I test first without Damien's charger controller?
You can't.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
cancer038

Post by cancer038 »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:24 pm
cancer038 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:06 pm Thank you for your answer. do you work with commands? so my car has 400v battery. tesla charger make 395 volts. the rest of the built-in charger should balance. Do I have to set the maximum voltage value every time to set it.
Please follow this advice;
Bratitude wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:26 pm I suggest that you download the files off github and read all the PDFs, that will answer most of your questions. And review the posts in this thread.
then ask your questions if you want help :)
cancer038 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:06 pm How should I test first without Damien's charger controller?
You can't.
Jaesin

Post by Jaesin »

Does anyone have the pinout for the Molex connector on the Gen 3 charger? I don't have the manual and I don't want to fry anything. I'm wondering if the can bus to the each phase are proxied by the onboard controller. The updater seems to be able to update chgph1, chgph2, chgph3 directly suggesting that they are not.

Anyway, the pinout would be very handy to me.
bulletbug

Post by bulletbug »

Jaesin wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:14 am Does anyone have the pinout for the Molex connector on the Gen 3 charger? I don't have the manual and I don't want to fry anything. I'm wondering if the can bus to the each phase are proxied by the onboard controller. The updater seems to be able to update chgph1, chgph2, chgph3 directly suggesting that they are not.

Anyway, the pinout would be very handy to me.
This may help https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... pinout.jpg
Jaesin

Post by Jaesin »

Thanks Bulletbug. That one is interesting but it's for the gen 2 charger. There is also this one for the Model 3 which has a similar 20 pin connector (https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... Pinout.pdf).

Since the phase pinout is known, I can try to power the control board via the phase connection and probe the 20 pin connector to see if it matches the Model 3 connector.

Funny thing. The Molex 33472-2001 connector that is specified for the Gen 3 controller (https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... Pinout.pdf) fits perfectly in the charger but it is keyed wrong for the Cinch case. That said it's possible to just shave down the key on the case. If the connector side of the Cinch case is 5810132011, the technical drawing indicates that Molex `33472-2002` and `33472-1201` are required thought the 33472-1236 seems to work with the 12 pin connector.
Jaesin

Post by Jaesin »

It looks like the 20 pin connector is supposed to be a Molex MX150 "Key-B" connector. From looking at the data sheet, all of the key B connectors are light gray. `33472-2002` doesn't have the optional locking clip (CPA option). The `33472-2007` part has it. Ref: https://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/334722002_sd.pdf
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

New V5 boards for the Gen 2 charger on their way from JLC:) Once tested and integrated with the new firmware I'll make a video showing how to install and use and then will be available in the webshop.
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Great news. Hope to have my hands on a charger next week.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
nabilriaz

Post by nabilriaz »

Great News, can't wait to start testing
I will never give up
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Awesome, got a fresh gen 2 waiting for it
* eagerly waits with wallet open *
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
cancer038

Post by cancer038 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:14 pm New V5 boards for the Gen 2 charger on their way from JLC:) Once tested and integrated with the new firmware I'll make a video showing how to install and use and then will be available in the webshop.
Thank you very much. We are looking forward. Please include details in the video. For first-time users 8-)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

New batch of V5 charger control boards has arrived from JLC:)
Attachments
2020-03-04 17.35.15.jpg
Bentto

Post by Bentto »

Beautiful!
nabilriaz

Post by nabilriaz »

The board looks very high quality built and pristine design
I will never give up
leman2112

Post by leman2112 »

Siiiiick!!! Just traded some parts for a charger from Rich from Rich Rebuilds and he told me to tell you he says hi! Haha
Johaljaswant

Post by Johaljaswant »

Tesla gen2 charger with Damien control board.
In set up menu it take only two command 1 for auto enable on- off and q for quit.
If try to change can mode after feeding 31 etc ,do not change can mode but taking as 1 and change auto enable.
Charger is not connected to HV battery and also not connected to EVSE.
Please Guide
Thanks
nesto1972

Post by nesto1972 »

Wich program you use? I had same problem with Putty!
Try Arduino serial monitor!
Johaljaswant

Post by Johaljaswant »

I use Putty, now I switch to Arduino serial monitor and make changes, Thanks
But now when I connect AC first it show AC connected and 234 V ,Control board still has on red led.and no light on charger modules.
After few moment no data coming on serial port and computer beep after few second and led1 light blink on control board.
I try disconnected and reconnected the USB cable but same thing.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Pleased to announce the new charger boards are working well on the bench. Next up testing under actual charge conditions in the Panzer. I'll make boards available in the shop soon for beta testers.
Attachments
2020-03-13 13.07.32.jpg
2020-03-13 13.07.27.jpg
2020-03-13 13.07.23.jpg
2020-03-13 13.07.19.jpg