not getting POTNOM %  [SOLVED]

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
ardillolambo

not getting POTNOM %

Post by ardillolambo »

Guys,

After I hooked up the throttle pedal (from a 2017 Model S) I followed the instructions as per https://openinverter.org/wiki/Schematic ... rottle_pot.
I set my potmin = 900 (actual reading 956) then set potmax = 4000 (actual reading 4095) but still reading 0% on potnom. I can see pot changing value accordingly with the pedal angle. I did save it to the flash. potmode = SingleRegen

What 'm missing here? or What I'm doing wrong?
royhen99

Re: not getting POTNOM %

Post by royhen99 »

Those instructions are not very clear. I think potmin has to be a bit larger than the minimum value, around 1000 should work.
ardillolambo

Post by ardillolambo »

Regardless the scaling, I should see potnom different than "0", but I tried setting potmin = 1000, tried 1050 and 1100, potnom = 0 in all cases. Then switch to the 2nd throttle cables still potnom = 0 even when I can see the pot value icreasin/decreasing will the pedal angle.
johu
Site Admin

Re: not getting POTNOM %  [SOLVED]

Post by johu »

potnom also includes the deratings. So say you have programmed udcmin=300V and you are tuning without HV, so udc=0, potnom will never be positive because it thinks the battery voltage is low. Check the parameters und "Derating" and adjust them to not get in the way.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
alexbeatle

Post by alexbeatle »

Watching this thread...
Mine does the same thing. So far I've been running the motor using half of my pack 116VDC (udcmin=100vdc) and the max I get out of potnom is 0.09. I can post the plots later. I'm on the latest firmware. The motor spins though.
I'm switching between different tasks of the conversion so haven't deep dived into this yet.
ardillolambo

Post by ardillolambo »

@Johu
Thanks for the info, that makes sense. Im following Damien's video word by word so I had udcmin =0, will try your suggestion and see. But I have to check the encoder 1st
ardillolambo

Post by ardillolambo »

alexbeatle wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:16 pm Watching this thread...
Mine does the same thing. So far I've been running the motor using half of my pack 116VDC (udcmin=100vdc) and the max I get out of potnom is 0.09. I can post the plots later. I'm on the latest firmware. The motor spins though.
I'm switching between different tasks of the conversion so haven't deep dived into this yet.
good to know that I'm not alone, awesome that your motor is spinning, will do a encoder test tomorrow, then try to spin for the 1st time. Any words of wisdom or something to watch out?

Regards,
uhi22

Post by uhi22 »

Docu note: added the hint with the deratings and the link to this thread to the description of potnom in the wiki: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Parameters
Let's together improve the documentation, with all the little things which are blocking the people longer than necessary.