Tesla Model 3 drive unit crowdfunding.

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
pm_dawn

Tesla Model 3 drive unit crowdfunding.

Post by pm_dawn »

Hi !

Is any one interested in crowdfunding for a Model 3 DU for Damien.
There are two DUs available at breakers right now for about €3500.

Has anyone setup a crowdfunding like that before ?
Or would it work to just send PayPal straight to him?

Best Regards
/Per
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Tesla Model 3 drive unit crowdfunding.

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

pm_dawn wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:14 pm Is any one interested in crowdfunding for a Model 3 DU for Damien.
Sure, happy to support open source :)
pm_dawn wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:14 pm Or would it work to just send PayPal straight to him?
That's already possible and many support Damien via patreon (here). I guess the advantage of a crowd funding campaign is that it's for a specific goal and that is much easier to 'sell' as an idea to a wider audience which you'll need if you're trying to raise 3500 plus shipping.

One thing to consider is that the final solution may be software not hardware so you should make it clear in any campaign that this is to get a drive unit into Damien's hands so that we can get a better handle on the way forward 8-)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
pm_dawn

Post by pm_dawn »

Yes !

I know about the Patreon and support him there but that is on a monthly basis.
I was thinking more as a big effort to get his hands on a M 3 DU a bit faster.

I see it as full open source, be it hardware or software.

It would be interesting to know what Damien thinks about it.

Best Regards
/Per
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Damien is very humbled and grateful. As I've mentioned I have had a few offers of Model 3 Drive units but with too many strings attached to my liking.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

One more thought... we'll need to procure both the front and rear Tesla Model 3 motors because they are different and we need a controller for both.

If it helps New Electric can procure these from Norway and we can probably lose the transportation costs if we bring it across in one of our regular shipments 8-)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Just a reminder of the ends we go to prove our products :)

Roadstercycle

Post by Roadstercycle »

As far as the Model 3 motor issue. I am going to call a few Tesla Salvage yards here in the states to see if one of them would be smart enough to donate a motor to you as they have lots of motors available but nobody wants them because they can not be controlled. If they where smart they would give you one so that a control could be made so they could sell the motors that are useless at the moment. I admire you in keeping the project open source and turning down the easy way out. If I can get one donated the only thing would be the shipping. We'll have to figure that out.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

We've been offered Model 3 Front and Rear motors as part of a consignment of EV components we are shipping from Norway.

I'm considering a raffle offering 20 tickets at €500 each with the winner receiving one of the motors once Damien has finished controller development. The second motor would be retained by Damien and used in a test vehicle to ensure the Model 3 development can continue. The ticket price will include free shipping of the motor within the EU for the winner (we will ship outside the EU but the costs will fall on the winner).

Any monies left over from the cost of purchasing and shipping the motors will be donated to Damien.

If you would consider buying a ticket please let me know here or by PM if you prefer.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:38 pmIf you would consider buying a ticket please let me know here or by PM if you prefer.
I've had 5 people register an interest but that's not enough to proceed with the purchase... anyone else interested?
offgridengineering

Post by offgridengineering »

I'd be interested. Is six folks enough?
Tim
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

offgridengineering wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:00 am I'd be interested. Is six folks enough?
We need €6,500 to buy both motors, have them shipped to Ireland, and pay currency exchange and customs costs. If we can raise that amount then i'll find a way of delivering the motor to the winner :)
jokeitch

Post by jokeitch »

interesting idea, you might get more traction if you post about it outside this forum though.
I'd participate but i'm still unsure if i'm going to use a M3 motor in my project, and shipping a motor from ireland to the usa is going to be killer
then again, even with shipping it'd be like $1000 usd, which sure beats all the price gouging on model 3 motors going on right now, :think:
tmotion

Post by tmotion »

Interested if it fits my volkswagen t3 project. The tesla sdu fits well, have to check how the m3 du fits. Anyone a 3d file?

To be honest i would be more interested in the m3 batteries. These modules will fit like a glove underneath my van and are very cheap at the moment
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:01 am
Kevin Sharpe wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:38 pmIf you would consider buying a ticket please let me know here or by PM if you prefer.
I've had 5 people register an interest but that's not enough to proceed with the purchase... anyone else interested?
I now have 7 people interested but we need at least 13 people (€6,500) to buy both motors, have them shipped to Ireland, and pay currency exchange and customs costs. We have a shipment from Norway leaving for Amsterdam in the next week or so and must make a decision on whether we include the two motors.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I would like to thank Kevin and everyone who has sought to help in this endeavor. Sadly it seems the world is not quite ready for an open source solution for running the model 3 motor:)
jokeitch

Post by jokeitch »

More like many want it but few are even a tenth of the way qualified to do the dissection.
Again, spreading this raffle more widely would help a lot
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

jokeitch wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:04 pm Again, spreading this raffle more widely would help a lot
Please feel free to organise your own raffle (or other crowdfunding).... the requirements are well defined IMO, at least €6500 to buy and ship both motors to Ireland, one of the which (IPM would make most sense) will remain the property of Damien so that he can support the development going forward 8-)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

While we have the Model 3 drive units in Ireland we could get them 3D scanned and then share the files as open source on Damien's GitHub.

If anyone is interested in managing the crowdfunding then i'll deal with the scanning company here in Ireland (I've been approached by a couple). Conversely, if anyone is interested in contributing financially to this project then please speak up here or send me a PM.

We need to move quickly on this... we only have the drive units for ~3 months.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:18 pm We need to move quickly on this... we only have the drive units for ~3 months.
Tick... Tock... :roll:
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:18 pm While we have the Model 3 drive units in Ireland we could get them 3D scanned and then share the files as open source on Damien's GitHub.

If anyone is interested in managing the crowdfunding then i'll deal with the scanning company here in Ireland (I've been approached by a couple). Conversely, if anyone is interested in contributing financially to this project then please speak up here or send me a PM.

We need to move quickly on this... we only have the drive units for ~3 months.
I've had little interest in this and will not pursue it further. If anyone want's to get a 3D scan or some dimensioned drawings I know that Sandy Munro is desperate for cash and may do you a cracking deal 8-)

https://munrolive.com/access-%2F-shop/o ... take-aways