Hyundai/Kia Batteries

arber333

Re: Hyundai/Kia Batteries

Post by arber333 »

Kutato72 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:07 pm The cell terminals are protected by SMD fuses with the letter "N". In principle, this means 2.0A. I tried it for your pleasure with 2.2A, it didn't melt in 10 seconds. So 2.0A is correct.
Thanks. But that does not explain why one fuse blew on 0.2A. I lost connection to that particular cell.
Was it already damaged possibly?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Anyone knows KIA battery NTC temp sensors coefficient? I am researching one here and i really dont want to reinvent the wheel.
Propose data goes to Wiki.
projectgus

Post by projectgus »

The official Kona service manual specifications include a table of resistances for the pack temperature sensors. I only copied down some of those values:

Code: Select all

|      Temp (C) | Resistance (Kohm) |
| ------------- | ----------------- |
|          - 20 |             72.04 |
|             0 |             27.86 |
|            20 |             12.12 |
|            40 |              5.81 |
|            60 |              3.01 |
The Kia Niro battery specs looks the same, but I don't know if they're the same sensor? I also haven't verified against a Kona pack, yet - would prefer to wait until someone's confirmed it before it goes to the wiki, but feel free to pop it there now otherwise.
canadasconvert

Post by canadasconvert »

Thanks for your replys on my issue. I do have the original BMS from KIA but I found it was only monitoring and not managing the cell voltages. I need to check my electrical connections.

Arber333 - are you suggesting to simply remove the damaged cell(s) and run on less cells?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

canadasconvert wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:38 am.

Arber333 - are you suggesting to simply remove the damaged cell(s) and run on less cells?
Sure why not? It is the cheapest way to still drive the car. As long as you have a BMS to stop charging at 4.1V per cell you should be good. Inverter and dcdc dont care.
You would have to adjust charger max cv voltage for your new cell count...