[Driving] Freelander EV With Gen1 Leaf electrics and EVBMW VCU

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Alibro

[Driving] Freelander EV With Gen1 Leaf electrics and EVBMW VCU

Post by Alibro »

This one will be a slow burner as I don't do anything quickly but hope to have a working EV in a year or so.
I have owned Freelanders for a few years and for some stupid reason I like them so when I decided to build an EV it kinda made sense.
I have an 04 Freelander which is in poor shape and pretty much worthless so I figured it would make a good test mule for the project. I can butcher it without worrying too much and once complete it will just be a matter of moving everything to a fresher car. At least that's the current theory.
I've already spent some time figuring out the CANbus signals and thankfully there aren't many to worry about as this thing is pretty old technology.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=764

Thanks to Damien and Fiachra I was able to purchase a 2011 Nissan Leaf, complete apart from the battery. It was in great nick so I'm hoping to make most of the purchase price back from selling the parts.

This is the donor car.
IMG-20200822-152110805.jpg
And this is it after a few hours stripping.
IMG-20200819-220551525.jpg
Although I've spent many hours watching and reading about this kind of project I'm still uncertain how I'm going to get the Leaf motor running so if anyone has any input I'm happy to receive advice. I know Johannas has a ready made board and I'll probably end up going that way but I'm also stupid enough to think I might be able to do it myself so I might have a go before committing to anything. Once again any input from others who have been this way before gratefully received.
I need a bigger hammer!
Speedy

Re: Freelander EV

Post by Speedy »

I would start by first understanding the individual components needed to get the motor running.

So essentially break things down into a list like this:-
  • 12v Battery
  • HV Battery Pack
  • Pre-Charge Contactor and Resistor
  • Negative Contactor
  • Positive Contactor
  • Leaf Inverter
  • Open Source Logic Board
  • 3 phase motor
  • Resolver on the motor
  • Accelerator pedal
Once you've understood each of those, next is understanding how it all hangs together.

Basically the Leaf invertor get its power from the 12v battery.
The High Voltage battery pack is also connected to the Inverter via the Contactors.
Also inputs into the open source logic board in the Inverter you have the accelerator pedal as well as the wires from resolver which is located on the motor. The inverter also has a forward or reverse drive input signal as well as a start signal.
The 3 phase HV wires on the inverter are connected to the Leaf motor.

Shane from Performance EV drew upa diagram in one of his earlier videos.
I'll try and find that for you and post a link.

@jerrykco drew up this diagram in his project thread here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=600&p=7913&hilit=shane#p7913

You may find this video from Shane also useful

I'm still learning myself so happy to be corrected on any of the above info.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Here's the video where Shane gives an overview of how things are connected together

Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Hi Speedy
Thanks for your replies, I've watched all of Shanes videos as well as Fiachra Cookes and Damiens but have to admit I've probably forgotten most of what they said. I guess it would be a good idea to watch them again and maybe take notes this time. ;)
Initially I had no clear idea of what I was going to do but now I have the Leaf in the garage and the Freelander is sitting waiting to receive a new drive train it is now much more real. I'll take another look at the videos you mentioned and a few more besides.
I have some basic knowledge from building ebikes but e cars is at another level so I have a lot to learn.
I need a bigger hammer!
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

If you haven't considered it already it would be well worth you booking yourself on a New Electrics EV course. Gain first-hand knowledge direct from the experts.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Absolutely this. You've got most of what you need, but attending Damien's course will bring the whole project together for you.
It's the best course I've ever been on - and a great investment as you can avoid making all of his expensive mistakes... ;)
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

I'd love to and really should but can't at the moment due to work commitments.
Maybe next year after I've cocked everything up so badly I need to start again from scratch. :oops: :cry:
I need a bigger hammer!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Got the motor and inverter seperated and out.
IMG-20200822-152110805.jpg
Then spilled half the transmission oil over the garage floor.
Ooops!
IMG-20200822-152117231.jpg
I need a bigger hammer!
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Alibro wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:07 am Got the motor and inverter seperated and out.
Very cool :)

Can you post your photos direct to the forum not via a third part site? We're trying to avoid information loss in the future if/when the third party host shuts down.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Yes no probs.
Err, could you please explain how? I tried before and failed miserably. 😟
I need a bigger hammer!
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Alibro wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:14 pm Err, could you please explain how?
Sure... when editing a post select the "Attachments" tab at the bottom of the edit window, then "Add files", browse to file location then "open file", and finally "Place inline".
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Thanks Kevin.
I fully understand as I lost many photos in threads elsewhere when Photobucket decided to screw it's customers.
Can you put a sticky in "General" explaining how to do this as I looked for a while for an explanation but couldn't find one. I probably should have worked it out as I post in Landyzone regularly but it is quite different.
I need a bigger hammer!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

I posted a video on Youtube.

I need a bigger hammer!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

So the Leaf is now fully stripped of all things electric and hopefully I'll be able to sell off some of the body parts. It's not taking up too much room so I'll let it sit for now.
I said earlier that my priority was to get the motor spinning using Damiens VCU so of course I started at the clutch coupler. :?

I started a thread about it here
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=995&sid=988998c2450 ... 346a0c80de

And made a video about the adapter plates.

But now I've put it off long enough and I have the motor and inverter on the bench. I have to admit it is a bit daunting as I've never worked with such high voltages before. Although I've built several ebikes, this is at a waaaay different level. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of documentation for this either (yes I have the files from the github and the thread Damien started) or at least if there is I haven't found it so if there is a Wiki or such please reply with a link, but until then I'll post questions in the thread as they come up.
I've managed to solder the connectors to Damiens VCU but still waiting for the Molex plugs to fit it so haven't gone any further.
I need a bigger hammer!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Hi Guys
It's been a while since I updated this thread but that's because not much has happened. I've been doing little things every day or two but nothing much noteworthy until the last couple of days. If you have been watching the Leaf Gen1 Inverter Board thread I have been active there asking questions and getting some great answers so thanks guys. I also started a thread about suitable friction discs for Leaf motors and have found a few types that could make good candidates for use, but three things happened this week that will let me move on to the next stage.

Last weekend I met a great guy who had contacted me shortly after buying the Leaf. He wanted a headlight and the interior from the car but while talking to him by email it turned out he had a spare BMS for a Leaf, so we did a deal and swapped the headlight for the BMS + cables and he gave me 200 Euro for the interior. I think this means I have everything I need to get the charger and DC - DC converter working but will confirm that later.

Yesterday I waved bye bye to what's left of the Nissan Leaf I've been stripping for parts, it didn't come with a battery but I think I managed to get every other useful part from the car. I even got paid £300 and had it lifted for free. :D

The last few days I've been trying to get my head around the EVBMW VCU and had a few issues calibrating the throttle but today I got it working. :D
It turns out the motor needs to feel a load or it just runs away so I refitted it to the Leaf transmission and I can now control it properly. I'll be making a video showing what I have done shortly.
I need a bigger hammer!
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

Alibro wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:41 pm It turns out the motor needs to feel a load or it just runs away so I refitted it to the Leaf transmission and I can now control it properly.
The motor controller works in torque mode. If the throttle input demands more torque than the load on the motor, it will accelerate. With no load on the motor, you've only got bearing, seal and magnetic drag and the lowest torque output the controller can produce might be higher than the motor load. Result; the motor accelerates towards maximum rpm no matter how gentle small throttle input.
Alibro

Re: Freelander EV With Gen1 Leaf electrics and EVBMW VCU

Post by Alibro »

New video showing progress so far.

I need a bigger hammer!
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Good man alibro. Getting there. You can change the name of the VCU web interface front page by adding /admin to the end of the IP address. It then brings you to the admin page to make the relevant changes
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Thanks Cookie
I tried a couple of times to login to the admin page but kept going back to the normal page.
I figured it wouldn't matter so moved on.
I'm clearing the garage for the freelander lobotomy atm so it will have to wait. 😊
I need a bigger hammer!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

It's been a while since I updated so here goes.
I can't remember if I mentioned it before but I have a 2004 Landrover Freelander TD4 which is basically worthless as the paint is peeling off just about every panel. I'm planning to use this car basically as a test mule that I can make my mistakes on without worrying about it. (I'm not planning to make mistakes but for me they are inevitable. :? )
This car may never even make it onto the road as it is so rough I would like to find a really nice clean Freelander with a duff engine then move the EV parts into it.

Here are a few pics of the Freelander de-icing
Engine dropping
Engine dropped.jpg
Engine sitting on the trolley jack shortly before falling off and spilling it's guts all over the garage floor.
Engine on trolley jack.jpg
IRD (Intermediate Reduction Drive - the 4WD box) off
IRD off.jpg
Gearbox detached
Gearbox off.jpg
Empty engine bay.
Empty Engine Bay.jpg
I need a bigger hammer!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

I have a mate turning the coupler for me so hopefully will have it in a week or so. We discussed how to make it using the two clutch discs I have that fit the motor.
This is the design we are going with.
Coupler.jpeg
I'm not sure why it insists on being portrait but if you click it should be the right way up.

The plan is to Machine the Freelander disc with a flange to fit one end and the two other discs to fit the other. One will be fully inside the tube welded in place through holes in the coupler pipe. This will be the securing disc to stop backlash. The second will have a flange like the Freelander one and will be the main drive disc. Hopefully with this setup there will be minimal slack which should help prolong the life of the coupler.
I need a bigger hammer!
Greenbeast

Post by Greenbeast »

Hey, nice project, how are you getting on?
I'm just starting a build on a Daihatsu Fourtrak, not a completely dissimilar vehicle.
Also looking at leaf motor and batteries.

What spline adaptor did you decide on for the motor side? I see you've had the idea of using two to avoid backlash, this occurred to me the other night while trying to get to sleep
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Greenbeast wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:34 pm Hey, nice project, how are you getting on?
I'm just starting a build on a Daihatsu Fourtrak, not a completely dissimilar vehicle.
Also looking at leaf motor and batteries.

What spline adaptor did you decide on for the motor side? I see you've had the idea of using two to avoid backlash, this occurred to me the other night while trying to get to sleep
I guess it's time for another update, thanks for the poke.
I decided on a Freelander as my first EV project as I have had a few and know them well. I'm aware of their many faults so should be able to sort issues as they arise. I also have a big support group in Landyzone https://www.landyzone.co.uk/forum/land- ... elander.9/ which is a great help.
The fuel tank and associated pipework is now out.
IMG_20201031_200805433.png
IMG_20201031_201009449.jpg
I bought a 1m x 0.5m x 20mm slab of Alloy from Aalco and started cutting the shape of the gearbox bellhousing.
IMG_20201121_182448841_HDR.png
I used a circular saw with an Evolution cutting blade at first which worked well up until the hardened tips on blade started to fall off.
Then it was back to jigsaw and flap wheel.
IMG_20201121_182423115.png
Then put it on the gearbox to check fitment
IMG_20201123_221126683_HDR.png
Then fitted the IRD and made sure it still fitted.
IMG_20201129_174905131.png
Then using a home made 'hole centre finder tool' to find the centre of threaded holes in the gearbox and drilled them.
I put a piece of threaded bar in my pillar drill and used a grinder with a flap wheel to make the point, then cut off the part that had been held in the chuck and put a slot in the other end to help screw it in and out.
IMG_20201201_220804199.png
IMG_20201201_220650489.png
IMG_20201201_220711487.png
Then I drilled and tapped the adapter plate for the unthreaded gearbox holes.
IMG_20201215_213829470 (1).png
I need a bigger hammer!
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

The adapter plate was now fitted with a hole big enough for the coupler.
IMG_20201215_213817244 (1).png
I had been a bit concerned for quite a while wondering if the motor would foul the IRD so I made a temporary coupler from some pipe and test fitted the motor with the IRD bolted in.
IMG_20201220_171644553.png
IMG_20201221_214427592.png
As you can see it doesn't fit. :o

So after lots of grinder action cutting off a motor moubt and grinding down the sides they fit but are VERY tight.
IMG_20201222_171631366.png
IMG_20201222_171635420.png
IMG_20201222_181809182.png

I don't know how the Fourtrak transmission is laid out but you should check for a similar issue before going too far.
I need a bigger hammer!
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

Nice work on the the home made transfer screw.

Ready made versions are not very expensive and are easier to use in blind holes;

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogu ... ed%20depth.