L210 gearbox

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
chrskly

Re: L210 gearbox

Post by chrskly »

slow67 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:12 pm
chrskly wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:09 pm Shouldn't you be able to run a GS300h CVT from a Prius Gen3 inverter with the dual-motor board installed? At least, that's what I was hoping I could do.
No reason you can’t.
Awesome 8-)
chrskly

Post by chrskly »

Got this spinning on open loop on the bench, btw.

Bintang 5

Post by Bintang 5 »

Which EVBMW logic board would I use if I wanted to run that L210 with a Gen3 Prius inverter? The "standard" V1c board or the newer V1d "dual motor" variant which can control the motors individually?

As far as I understood @ chrskly achieved to spin this transmission with a Yaris inverter.
Would it make any difference if I used a Yaris or a Prius inverter in this case?
What's the difference between these inverters anyway, output power?
chrskly

Post by chrskly »

To use both motors inside the L210, you need an inverter with two 'brains'. For this you can use a Prius Gen 3 inverter with the dual-motor board. I.e. https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-w ... -motor-kit

This is what I plan to do.

I only realised I had a Yaris inverter after I had bought it. I'm just feeling my way around :) In my testing I'm only spinning MG2 with the Yaris inverter. The current version of the Yaris inverter board can only run one motor at the moment as it only has one 'brain'.

HTH
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

If you need to, It's possible to fit the Prius gen3 dual brain board into a Yaris inverter. Just make sure you're not shorting anything by covering the non-matching screw studs with tape or something and make sure you have the right connectors as you can't extract all of them from the OEM Yaris board. Also, I guess you have to swap some resistors to match the current sensors.
jalovick

Post by jalovick »

celeron55 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:32 pm If you need to, It's possible to fit the Prius gen3 dual brain board into a Yaris inverter. Just make sure you're not shorting anything by covering the non-matching screw studs with tape or something and make sure you have the right connectors as you can't extract all of them from the OEM Yaris board. Also, I guess you have to swap some resistors to match the current sensors.
Good to know. I'm going to order a Yaris inverter board for testing, but I also have a AVV50R Camry inverter (G9200-33171) to test as well, and I was hoping I could use the same board initially. This inverter is also typically installed in the ES300h.

Jamie
deanusjack

Post by deanusjack »

Looking good so far, thanks to all working on these. Could the Is300h trans be used with the gs450h inverter? I don't see why not but haven't run one myself. Presume the current sensors may be different and need resistor ratio changes? Would mean could get one running fairly quickly using Damien's USART controller. Obviously would be ideal to get a Is300h vehicle to sniff the signals to try and do the same for its inverter but a bit out of my monetary means at the moment. Good to see the Prius inverter working well :)
theBROCK

Post by theBROCK »

Cheers to everyone, I'm very new to this open source inverter route and sure can learn a lot from all the people here. I'm thinking also of using this L210 transmission for a conversion project of a VW Polo. Chrskly, could you possibly weigh that transmission assy? I'm also planning on ditching the planetary gearset and MG1 altogether, as I will be using the original manual 5-speed from the Polo, can you check if that is an option here? Ditching both the front and the back, keeping just the middle (MG2) part, will it work? Thanks a lot for all the info gathered here!
sfk

Post by sfk »

The L210 transmission is for a rear wheel drive layout that connects up to a rear differential. I'm pretty sure all VW Polo are front wheel drive. A Prius transmission might be easier to fit. But if you're set on keeping the original manual gearbox, putting an electric motor from a Nissan Leaf would be the best idea.
-< Mazda Eunos JC Cosmo rotary -> EV conversion w/ Lexus GS450H gear >-
theBROCK

Post by theBROCK »

My idea, actually, is to fit just the MG2 middle section directly onto the manual transmission with an adapter plate, the front and rear parts would be "discarded". I've come across a P314 transmission assembly from a Lexus NX300h and that also could be a viable option, but I would have to ditch the original manual transmission of the Polo... Anything that can reach 105kW is fine for me. On a side note, happy new year to everyone!
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

The "80kW" Leaf motor and inverter can do over 105kW just fine, given full voltage and johu's replacement logic board. It's also easy to mount to original manual transmissions.
theBROCK

Post by theBROCK »

Oh, never knew that the Leaf motor could reach that power, is it thermally manageable if being required that 105kW for sustained periods of time? One difficulty I have with the leaf motor is that it's not really available in my country, might have to use some freight forwarder service and this could potentially make it unviable (I pay 20$ for each 2.2 pounds, or kilo for those on the metric system like myself).
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

The 2020 model Leaf is listed as producing 150PS or 110Kw.
The Leaf E+ with larger battery is 217PS or 159Kw.

Both still use the EM57 motor.
theBROCK

Post by theBROCK »

Nice Mr. Compton, thanks for the info! Leaf motors are really hard to come by here in my country, not the case with the Prius though. Is there any version of it that could support up to 105kW? I reckon it can be controlled with the inverter board v3, any tips on the conversion?
PacEmaker

Post by PacEmaker »

theBROCK wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:31 pm Nice Mr. Compton, thanks for the info! Leaf motors are really hard to come by here in my country, not the case with the Prius though. Is there any version of it that could support up to 105kW? I reckon it can be controlled with the inverter board v3, any tips on the conversion?
Best tip is not to hijack this valuable thread on the L210 and go start your own project thread, you're way off topic at this point.
Geoff

Is this smoke trying to tell me something ... :twisted:
theBROCK

Post by theBROCK »

The idea initially was to use either a L210 or the P314 I was mentioning. I was advised against it and got curious, sorry for any inconvenience here I might have caused you, sir.
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

Hi guys , I just bought a L210 to put into a RWD Classic, Just looking for the least-cost option for inverters, I already have a yaris inverter running a MGR in another project ( viewtopic.php?t=1165 ) with one of Damien's boards, looks like the Yaris inverter with the fudge fit Dual Motor board is the cheapest way to go. IS300 and GS450 inverters seem expensive by comparison. Is there a downside to this route ?
We are all ignorant, just about different things. If y'aint learnin', y'aint livin'
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

Damien, is there any likelihood of a dual motor Yaris/Auris board anytime soon ?
We are all ignorant, just about different things. If y'aint learnin', y'aint livin'
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

I think 180jacob has already done that....

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1051&start=25
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yes will be in the webshop soon.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
hugow93

Post by hugow93 »

thornogson is there any chance that you could put a measure tape on the L210 gearbox for a rough length, width, height?
This could be a better set up for my project, but I've limited space in the transfer tunnel of my Samurai and I haven't been able to find dimensions online.

Thanks a mill!
Converting a1994 Suzuki Samurai soft top
| Siemens 1PV5135 Motor | Gen 2 Toyota Prius Inverter + OI Control Board | 24 kwh Renault Zoe battery |
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

hugow93 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:20 pm thornogson is there any chance that you could put a measure tape on the L210 gearbox for a rough length, width, height?
This could be a better set up for my project, but I've limited space in the transfer tunnel of my Samurai and I haven't been able to find dimensions online.

Thanks a mill!
yes for sure , I'll do it this afternoon, there's a ton of info on the similar L110 box here ... https://slideplayer.com/slide/14432904/

I think for 4x4 conversion the rarer LS600H AWD would be an excellent choice to replace the engine, gearbox and transfer box, only the driveshafts and gear selector to hook up and driven by a gen3 inverter with one of Damien's dual-motor boards. I suspect the transfer box will attach to a 210 gearbox which would be ideal for lighter 4x4 applications like yours.

For the fruitloop solution how about attaching a Leaf motor to where the ICE used to go :)
chrskly

Post by chrskly »

I'm out in the garage today, so, took a few quick measurements.

About 760mm from the bell housing to the output flange (including the rubber thingy).
IMG_6223.jpg
Height from the oil pan to the highest point on the bell housing is around 400mm
IMG_6224.jpg
And height of the flatter bit after the bell housing is around 340mm.
IMG_6226.jpg
HTH
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

Damn! @chrskly , beat me to it by a whisker , I confirm all those measurements , length from bellhousing to drive flange is 720mm and it weighs in at 92 kg with the rubber thingy and ally gearbox X member.
IMG_3554.JPG
hugow93

Post by hugow93 »

Thanks for checking that @chrskly and @thornogson, and for updating the wiki.

Looks like I'll be sticking to the "fruitloop" solution for now with the Siemens.
The transfer tunnel in the Samurai is tiny, Just 200mm wide after the bell housing.
I could bring the L210 further into the engine bay and extend a shaft to the transfer case, but that erodes the beauty of the bolt in solution and also what I'd be trying to achieve with it - freeing up space in the engine bay.

Thanks again!
Converting a1994 Suzuki Samurai soft top
| Siemens 1PV5135 Motor | Gen 2 Toyota Prius Inverter + OI Control Board | 24 kwh Renault Zoe battery |