Jack at EVTV

EV and openinverter related news
Kevin Sharpe

Jack at EVTV

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

I'm sorry to report that Jack at EVTV has announced he has terminal lung cancer (watch from 33:10) :(

This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
johu
Site Admin

Re: Jack at EVTV

Post by johu »

Remarkable way to deal with it or rather accept it. Best wishes.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

:(

I saw that, but his memory will live in all those he has inspired or touched in some way.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

TL;DW - Inoperable lung cancer. Golfball sized tumor. Paralyzed his left vocal cords because that nerve runs to your lungs and back. He doesn't want to die old, he's not going to take chemo, he's not going to stop smoking, he'll try radiation therapy, he's happy that god is calling him home and has chosen this time. He's not worried, he's not scared, he knows it'll be peaceful because painkillers are so effective and he'll be surrounded by loved ones. He figures he'll have a couple more episodes of EVTV before it catches up to him.

Saddest part of this is that he says he's been done for a few years now. I wonder what that's referring to.

He mentions that a lot of people who've been nagging him to quit smoking and saying it will kill him will have their delight now. I myself am not a big fan of his and I don't like how he's treated people, but, I can't imagine anyone actually revelling in another person's illness and demise. I certainly wouldn't be among them.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Jack passed away today.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Mojave

Post by Mojave »

That sucks.

You have to respect the heck out of him for putting his time, effort and money where his mouth was. Lots of people talk, Jack sure talked, but he also DID.

Godspeed Jack.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

The World lost a Pioneer who willingly shared his knowledge, having traded emails with him, he was comfortable in that he made a difference.
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

That definitely sucks. Hopefully his contributions will do the world some good. RIP, Jack.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

I'll miss the homemade whisky...

RIP Jack
IMG_4517.jpeg
IMG_4541.jpeg
IMG_4567.jpeg
IMG_4577.jpeg
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

link doesn't work for me :(
MattsAwesomeStuff

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:34 pmlink doesn't work for me :(
Works for me.

Here's the text:

"Marion Jack Rickard Jr. of Cape Girardeau died Monday, Aug. 31, 2020, surrounded by his loving wife and children. He was 65 years old.

Jack was the oldest of five children of Marion and Ben Emerson Rickard Sr.

He graduated from Notre Dame High School in Cape Girardeau in 1973. Following his graduation, Jack enlisted in the U.S. Navy. He proudly served aboard the USS Midway as an aviation support equipment technician. Following a distinguished tour in the Navy, Jack enjoyed a career as a technical writer in the defense industry.

Jack was a Mensa member and an early adopter of new technologies. His keen intelligence helped him to see the value of the internet as early as the 1980s. He started Boardwatch, a high-tech bulletin board company. Supported by a strong team, Jack developed Boardwatch into a successful magazine, which he sold in 1998.

Following his initial professional success, Jack proudly returned to his hometown of Cape Girardeau. While in Cape Girardeau, Jack continued to pursue his interest in innovative technologies, including aviation and electric cars. In 2008, Jack established EVTV, an internet-based platform that taught individuals methods to convert gasoline-powered vehicles into electric-drive vehicles. As electric cars became popular, Jack expanded EVTV to focus on solar power storage.

Jack was an active supporter of the community and was dedicated to preserving the historic Cape Girardeau waterfront district. He was an active parishioner of St. Mary's Cathedral, where he sang in the choir.

He is survived by his four children and their families, whom he loved deeply, his siblings, numerous extended family members and friends and his loving wife, Jill. Jack often said, "Every Jack needs a Jill."

Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m., with parish prayers at 7 p.m., Wednesday at Ford and Sons Sprigg Street Funeral Home in Cape Girardeau.

Funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at Old St. Vincent's Catholic Church in Cape Girardeau, with the Rev. Allan Saunders officiating. Burial, with full military honors, will be at St. Mary's Cemetery in Cape Girardeau.

Online condolences may be made at www.fordandsonsfuneralhome.com."

There's another, similar article, from the same paper: https://www.semissourian.com/story/2831878.html
MattsAwesomeStuff

I'm still young, to have my peers dying around me of things they can see coming. So, for me, Jack's approach to death is something I knew was out there, but hadn't seen before.

I wasn't around when Jack was most influential in the community. Frankly, I just didn't get along. There's a couple things that are going to last with me that Jack had an influence on.

One is that Jack knew himself so, so well. He knew exactly who he was with a certainty and openness that I think few people ever get to experience even in their own head to their own character, let alone the person they present to others. I don't know if I've ever met anyone who lied to themselves less. I don't know if that's something most people can even achieve without it being a way of life, because that's the way Jack treated others too. No bullshit, no sugarcoating, no worrying about what people would think about him, for better or worse, he hid nothing. I wouldn't want to imitate Jack and the way he treated others, but it sets a high water mark to me of just the rawness that you can be comfortable in your own skin and how honest you can be with yourself. To as much a degree as possible, I'd like to achieve that.

Another is the way he handled his death. I know people who feel that way, or think they do, but there he is, putting his money where his mouth is. I won't have his religiosity to lean on, but his pleasantness at dying young surrounded by his love ones and the cheerful attitude about it, the lack of fear or panic but also the lack of depression or resignment. Just walked right up to it like death was a park bench to him. I hope when it's my time that I'll have a fraction of the strength he showed.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:06 pm
Kevin Sharpe wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:34 pmlink doesn't work for me :(
Works for me.
Thanks... if I use our US VPN it works for me as well.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Very sad to hear of Jacks passing.
His arguments and reasoning was the main reason I bought Tesla shares back when they were under $500. Unfortunately I didn't have the good sense to hang on to them but still made decent money on them.
He may have waffled on for hours but what he said was worth listening to so I may go back and watch a few more of his videos.

RIP Jack
I need a bigger hammer!
mike77cos

Post by mike77cos »

Discovering Jack on YouTube got me into conversions and EVs in general, he also lead me to find Damien's channel. Jack also got me into investing in Tesla which I will be forever grateful for.

He was a cantankerous ol'sod, and had some views that I can't agree with, but on the whole he was a genius when it came to electric cars, solar and investing.

Definitely going to miss watching his videos, even if it was at 2x speed.

RIP Jack
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

MattsAwesomeStuff

Timestamps for the funeral:
0-14:25 - Religious preamble, hymns and readings from the bible before then, nothing unique to Jack.
14:24-22:30 - Preacher shares about Jack's spiritual awakening at the age of 33, and how he from then on followed what he thought god wanted him to do and how god guided his decisions.
22:30-52:46 - Routine prayers/psalms/rites/communion.
52:46-end - Burial (outdoors) begins. There's a military component, bugle, folding/presentation of the flag by officers, as Jack as in the Navy.

... oddly, there was no actual eulogy. Except for the religious comments about Jack, nothing spoken was unique to him.

Maybe that's something that's done in a different place or time.