HOWTO: Flashing ESP8266

Discussion about various user interfaces such as web interface, displays and apps
ZooKeeper

Re: HOWTO: Flashing ESP8266

Post by ZooKeeper »

post deleted
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
davidwagstaff

Post by davidwagstaff »

Well i'm not getting anywhere with this. It seems the Arduino IDE is not loading the spiffs. Has anyone sucessfully done this with a recent build of the Arduino IDE? I found some info about spiffs no longer being supported by the ESP8266 core
https://arduino-esp8266.readthedocs.io/ ... ystem.html

I am not familiar with using Python and have no idea how to follow the instructions that have been given previously to use this method. Any help would be greatfully received
davidwagstaff

Post by davidwagstaff »

Ok finally have success.

This seems to be a Arduino build compatibility issue. Loaded Arduino 1.8.0 on a different laptop and used ESP board core 2.6.2 and have successfully loaded sketch and spiffs to both NodeMCU and Olimex mod board.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

post deleted
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

davidwagstaff wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:21 pmThis seems to be a Arduino build compatibility issue. Loaded Arduino 1.8.0 on a different laptop and used ESP board core 2.6.2 and have successfully loaded sketch and spiffs to both NodeMCU and Olimex mod board.
This is what I fuckin' hate about open source. The complete an utter user unfriendliness of it, and the impossibility of an amateur to wade through it. You have to guess the correct thing it might be, that you maybe didn't even know was a thing that could even be correct or incorrect, and hope it works.

Good sleuthing to guess that maybe that was it and to try it out, needle in a haystack.
dima

Post by dima »

This just happened a week ago :o

Code: Select all

LittleFS is indeed a drop-in / transparent replacement for SPIFFS.
Just replace all occurrence of SPIFFS by LittleFS in your code.
Source: https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/pull/7263

Will need new Arduino Plugin https://github.com/earlephilhower/ardui ... efs-plugin
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

post deleted
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:38 pm This is what I fuckin' hate about open source. The complete an utter user unfriendliness of it, and the impossibility of an amateur to wade through it. You have to guess the correct thing it might be, that you maybe didn't even know was a thing that could even be correct or incorrect, and hope it works.

Good sleuthing to guess that maybe that was it and to try it out, needle in a haystack.
Polishing software to a degree where a non software engineer can use it is really tedious and not fun, so it comes down to the price one pays for it. Software gets expensive when you pay someone to do the non fun stuff. If you would like to do so, you can choose between buying a ready made closed source solution or paying someone to do the non fun stuff to an open source solution.
dima

Post by dima »

Thank you! @celeron55 I was starting to feel discouraged ...again. :cry: Need one of them Johannes torque gloves.

Patreon.png
Patreon.png (9.47 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

celeron55 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:22 amIf you would like to do so, you can choose between buying a ready made closed source solution or paying someone to do the non fun stuff to an open source solution.
Yeah, not complaining, just lamenting. Open source is best around a group of programming peers. Basically "I could write this, but someone else already did, neat". Outside of that, to someone who couldn't write it from scratch if they had the time, its limits rear their heads.

By virtue of being open source, no one is responsible for anyone else. So for example, one project making a change that borks another project that they probably didn't even know existed. It's certainly not the first project's responsibility to ensure all the projects that use it remain compatible. And, after someone creates a following project, they should not be bound for life in constant support of that project to maintain it and make sure it can keep working. So the nature of Open Source seems to be incomplete documentation, stagnant projects, and time-rotted code.

Option 3 for me is, if you can't write the code, contribute in other ways to the project to help more people be able to use it. Bridge that usability gap.
BMW2002

Post by BMW2002 »

Most forums are the same its usually the same dozen people talking in code which is hard for the outsider to get in.

Always reminds me of IKEA , you know what you want, you cant really find it, you just hope you'll bump into a store rep that day to guide you ;)
jason_arnold

Post by jason_arnold »

Dima, I'd like to have a go at running your latest variant of the web interface, but the mklittlefs tool your PS script calls is no longer available, so I'm unable to compile my own .bin for the file system - any chance you have one ready to share?
kaleb

Post by kaleb »

@dima I flashed your most recent update, have a solid green light afterwards and no inverter SSID, something I did wrong?
kaleb

Post by kaleb »

kaleb wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:29 am @dima I flashed your most recent update, have a solid green light afterwards and no inverter SSID, something I did wrong?
Disregard. :) Using precompiled .bin didn't work as anticipated, but building with Arduino from the sketch worked.
kaleb

Post by kaleb »

Maybe I spoke too soon. It worked, but now I get a "not compressed" message. I've tried running the script again and selecting "compress javascript -y" when prompted. Anyone have this happen as well?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 7.39.42 PM.png
kaleb

Post by kaleb »

SO weird.. It'll work for a short period, let me click around the interface briefly, then restart and 404 all pages but update. I can upload the littlefs once again and it'll do the same, attempt to work then says uncompressed and redirects to update.. Maybe I just have a bad Olimex? Anyone that's been through these things before, would certainly appreciate your input.
qmedia2651

Post by qmedia2651 »

you can us a Wimos D1 Mini I've been working on a shield for the LDU to use the Wimos instead of the Olimex. I have the gerber files and PCB file for Fritz. It Works waiting for my parts to populate my board. Working on my 1991 Mercedes 300CE EV Conversion with a Tesla LDU. All Nissan Leaf battery pack fits in the front, this car came with a M104 6cyl cast iron engine about 900 lbs. Less than the battery pack.

[img]
Wimos_D1_Mini_Shield_pcb.jpg
Attachments
20171125_154016.jpg
20171125_153851.jpg
20171125_153915.jpg
20201027_123937.jpg
20201027_123857.jpg
bexander

Post by bexander »

kaleb wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:29 am Maybe I spoke too soon. It worked, but now I get a "not compressed" message. I've tried running the script again and selecting "compress javascript -y" when prompted. Anyone have this happen as well?
To get it to work using Arduino IDE, I had to do first a "normal" upload (Sketch -> Upload) and then sketch data upload (Tools -> ESP8266 Sketch Data Upload).
vin

Post by vin »

Hi all,

I think I've managed to flash to ESP8266 however I'm unable to see it when searching for an SSID, Should the SSID be broadcasting automatically after the flashing process? should I be able to to access the ESP Wifi Web page prior to connecting to the Inverter controller?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

The default SSID is ESP_XXXX (where XXXX is part of the MAC address). If thats not showing something went wrong with the flash process.
No, you can't access anything before connecting :)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
vin

Post by vin »

johu wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:28 am The default SSID is ESP_XXXX (where XXXX is part of the MAC address). If thats not showing something went wrong with the flash process.
Hi Johannes, Thanks for getting back to me on this, and great work with all of this by the way. Are you saying that, after the upload, if i just apply 3.3v to the MOD-WIFI-ESP8266, I should have a broadcasting ESP_XXXX SSID? Thanks again
vin

Post by vin »

vin wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:46 pm
johu wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:28 am The default SSID is ESP_XXXX (where XXXX is part of the MAC address). If thats not showing something went wrong with the flash process.
Hi Johannes, Thanks for getting back to me on this, and great work with all of this by the way. Are you saying that, after the upload, if i just apply 3.3v to the MOD-WIFI-ESP8266, I should have a broadcasting ESP_XXXX SSID? Thanks again
I've managed to get it working. After flashing the successfully which should look like the log below, GPIO0 MUST be soldered back to 1 in order to see an active SSID to broadcast a WIFI AP.

This is the logs after successful flash from MAC Os

[SPIFFS] data : /Users/ladmin/Documents/Arduino/FSBrowser/data
[SPIFFS] size : 1000
[SPIFFS] page : 256
[SPIFFS] block : 8192
/wifi-updated.html
/gauges.html
/ajax-loader.gif
/index.html
/inverter.js
/remote.html
/chart.min.js.gz
/syncofs.html
/gauge.min.js.gz
/log.js
/index.js
/jquery.core.min.js.gz
/README.md
/chartjs-annotation.min.js.gz
/wifi.html
/log.html
/style.css
/gauges.js
/jquery.knob.min.js.gz
/refresh.png
[SPIFFS] upload : /var/folders/pf/g5203ncd4r17pkc3gm4tzk7r0000gn/T/arduino_build_495601/FSBrowser.spiffs.bin
[SPIFFS] address : 0x100000
[SPIFFS] reset : --before no_reset --after soft_reset
[SPIFFS] port : /dev/cu.usbserial-A50285BI
[SPIFFS] speed : 115200
[SPIFFS] python : /Users/ladmin/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/python3/3.7.2-post1/python3
[SPIFFS] uploader : /Users/ladmin/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.6.3/tools/upload.py

esptool.py v2.8
Serial port /dev/cu.usbserial-XXXXXXX
Connecting....
Chip is ESP8266EX
Features: WiFi
Crystal is 26MHz
MAC: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Configuring flash size...
Auto-detected Flash size: 2MB
Compressed 1024000 bytes to 118444...
Wrote 1024000 bytes (118444 compressed) at 0x00100000 in 10.5 seconds (effective 783.4 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.

Leaving...
Hard resetting via RTS pin...
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

jnsaff wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:20 pm I'm having a similar problem as well. I got the ESP8266 from Johannes so it should be fine. Then programmed the bootloader and stm32_sine.hex red led is on and green is blinking on the blue pill.

No parameters are showing but when I try to Display Error Memory I get:

Unknown command sequence
e��K�
Unknown command sequence
Custom command 'json' gets

Unknown command sequence
j��)
So it seems that they are communicating as from the forum search this error is something that the stm32_sine sends back. But TX may be messed up somehow? I believe my Blue Pills may be quite dodgy .. so would want to put the black pill on there instead but the pin labels are not exactly the same. Any ideas? Much appreciated!
How did you solve this one? I'm getting it. I've got a Bluepill with STM32-car on there, it responds ok to requests for 'json' using a usb-ttl but when I connect up the Wemos D1 and hit the index.html I get an error. '/cmd?cmd=json' gives

j��)
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
dima

Post by dima »

This tell you wrong TTL speed. Check speed with 'http://192.168.4.1/baud'
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

'http://192.168.4.1/baud' just shows

fastUart off

Bluepill has

#define USART_BAUDRATE 115200
   usart_set_baudrate(TERM_USART, USART_BAUDRATE);
and ESP8266

void setup(void){
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.setTimeout(100);
  SPIFFS.begin();
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater