Mitshubishi Outlander battery pack

Mitsubishi hybrid drive unit hacking
Bart

Mitshubishi Outlander battery pack

Post by Bart »

Just posting this here for people interested in buying a battery pack of Mitshubishi Outlander:

I have bought such a (lithium ion) battery pack recently. To my surprise, all cells in the pack held a voltage below 0.5 Volts, so they are probably unsaveable.
The car part shop was very nice to have me exchange the battery pack for another one, which is in a good state, so I was lucky. They mentioned that the Outlander battery pack was removed from a functioning car. It is unclear to me what exactly the reason of the self-discharge could have been, but I just want to caution anyone planning on buying such a pack to be aware that there exists the risk of being unlucky, even though I am aware such risks are always present when buying any second hand item. Also, I might be just very unlucky with this pack being in storage for years and years.

Below also some pictures of the pack. They are configured 1p80s (packed in packs of 10), and it includes contactors and air cooling from a small water-air radiator inside.
Attachments
20200523_101439.jpg
20200523_100811.jpg
20200523_100800.jpg
The entire pack with the lid off (sorry for bad quality)
The entire pack with the lid off (sorry for bad quality)
Bigpie

Re: Mitshubishi Outlander battery pack

Post by Bigpie »

You got any more details on the pack? Have you discovered a way of using it as is? making use of the BMS and contactors included?
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Bart

Post by Bart »

The full pack is quite big (about 152*75 cm), and about 20 cm high (with a bulge in the middle of the lid), and therefore I could not fit into my small Peugeot 106 electrique as is. The lid is made of plastic, and thus hard to reshape to make it fit.
The entire battery capacity is rated 12kWh. There are 80 Li-ion cells, that could be splitted into single cells, so it is quite a good option if you need to build something into an existing battery box. However, I do think the volumetric energy density is not very high, for example compared to a Volvo V60 hybrid battery pack. I have not found any brand name or other description on the cells. The cells are air-cooled, with the cooling provided by a radiator and fan. The cool water could then be provided by an external AC, I suppose.
There are two contactors in the pack, I believe.
I have not tried communicating with the existing BMS system, so I can't say anything about that.

I would like to write something about the Volvo V60 hybrid (LG) battery pack, as I am quite enthusiastic so far about those. What would be the best place to do that on this forum?

Cheers,
Bart
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Make a wiki page under batteries would be good.

I was looking at outlander packs as they're quite cheap. I believe they have YUASA LEV40 cells in them https://www.secondlife-evbatteries.com/ ... -cell.html

It would be good to have one of the smaller cheaper packs where we could reuse the BMS and contactors also.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

a completely totalled 2020 model just showed up at a local yard. Battery cover was cracked, and one cell was hit, but the rest look fine, all floating around 29-30v per module !
08C3195E-3C53-4B71-BA3C-FB5C56203A63.jpeg
C26F0405-3557-4703-9C4C-4C2C11221F7C.jpeg
Got the pack for 300$ Canadian + some random HV cables 🤑
There was one Punctured cell. Removed it carefully, but it was still holding a charge. Crazy!

pack was left out in the snow, so had to do some tear/whips Downs. But everything seams happy.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
RAS_666

Post by RAS_666 »

Not entirely sure why but there appears to be some sort of self destruct in the cmu boards but it requires a 12v supply. I was messing sending different commands to them than the standard balance command and there is one that makes them discharge all cells regardless of their voltage. I tried with some scrap 18650s and it did practically discharge them to below 1v! However the process would take several weeks on the full size pack.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Interesting! If you get any extra info, please amend/add it to the wiki https://openinverter.org/wiki/Batteries#OEM_modules

The info I found below is for a completely different 16s / 60V module:
https://evshop.eu/en/batteries/150-mits ... odule.html

I guess your modules are from a newer variant?
aot93

Post by aot93 »

Any more news on these batteries and contactors?

I've been offered a 13,8Kw pack for £1900 which seems good value for the newer LEV46 cells.

I would use them in my mini conversion.
chuuux

Post by chuuux »

Could you help me find or somehow draw a diagram of the connection of colored wires from the cells and it's temperature sensors to the CMU connector (connector pin-out)? I have looked through a ton of video, forumsand service manuals but nowhere is it. And it is very difficult to determine this from the overview video, because the wires cover each other.
I'll be very thankful!
aot93

Post by aot93 »

I'll try grab some photos when I'm back in in the garage.
I was planning on keeping the modules complete and the plastic clips look a little fragile so I may give up..
chuuux

Post by chuuux »

aot93 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:01 pm I'll try grab some photos when I'm back in in the garage.
I was planning on keeping the modules complete and the plastic clips look a little fragile so I may give up..
Great, thanks.
I think it is possible just to paint the diagram on paper if you can look closely at the wires and track them from plug to the cells and temperature sensors.
aot93

Post by aot93 »

Here are some pics of the CMU wiring.
IMG_20210425_104701.jpg
IMG_20210425_104911.jpg
IMG_20210425_104918.jpg
IMG_20210425_104929.jpg
IMG_20210425_104933.jpg
chuuux

Post by chuuux »

aot93 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:03 am Here are some pics of the CMU wiring.
Thanks!
I draw the diagram.
Attachments
Outlander PHEV CMU cells pinout.jpg