Tesla Charger Support Thread

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
johu
Site Admin

Re: Tesla Charger Support Thread

Post by johu »

Please post a picture of your wiring to the charger and also measure the resistance between phase and neutral. Something is definitely shorted.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Johaljaswant

Post by Johaljaswant »

Right side inlet socket first two pin of Tesla charger is short. I think that the reason fuse blowing.
I will change the Tesla charger and let you know the result soon.
Attachments
881DA68B-34C0-4687-A43E-FE5CF674BBB1.jpeg
BB9FB787-AC24-4CAE-B3FB-9649F625C09D.jpeg
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Johaljaswant wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:11 pm Right side inlet socket first two pin of Tesla charger is short. I think that the reason fuse blowing.
If it's broken let me know. I'm interested in it 8-)
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
arturk

Post by arturk »

Folks, I am trying to test Tesla GEN2 charger. Using V5aB3 board running commercial software downloaded using link on Wiki page (not registered yet, just testing for now). All modules are operated on one common phase (110V).

When I initiate charge in "Manual" mode by putting HIGH on '"D1" two modules are being activated (see photo, showing only two module LED lit). I get ~110V on the output regardless of setting on web interface. I verified only one module outputs voltage. I checked voltages and control signals to power modules: GND, +15V, +12V, ENABLE, CHARGE_ACTIVATE. All look good.

Does it look like broken charger? Is there anything else to check?
Attachments
IMG_20210704_182133.jpg
IMG_20210704_181927__01.jpg
1998 Jaguar XJR, GS450h drivetrain, 48kWh/96s BMW battery
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Do these even do anything meaningful with no battery connected?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
arturk

Post by arturk »

johu wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:59 pm Do these even do anything meaningful with no battery connected?
Good question, but I am sure it would be helpful if I described what happens with battery connected.

I have half of the pack connected (48s) for testing.
I configured charger to operate single power module at the time through "set chargerena x" command, now I can toggle which unit I want through drop-down.

Each power module behaves differently

Module 1
The only one which responds somewhat properly but not quite. When I set udcspnt and udclim slightly above current battery voltage (172V) and trigger charge then it looks like it wants to charge but quits immediately. I think this is because power module reports battery voltage as 232V !!! When I set charging limit to 240V then it seems like it initiates charging but current going into battery is only ~0.2A

Module 2
No response, no LED, no relay click only 12V supply jumps to 3A and then fluctuates widely between 0.2A and 3A

Module 3
Looks like it tries to initiate charging but relay keeps clicking every second and LED blinks

I really do not know history of this charger, it does not look like it was tempered with and no visual damage or burn signs.
I have no prior experience with Tesla charger therefore I was looking for some tips but it looks like it is just bad unit.

This is not Supercharger unit but it is Rev C, Did anyone get 1014963-00-C (non supercharger) unit to work properly?
Bryson

Post by Bryson »

Didn’t Damien pop his when he tried to charge under 200V? That may be related..
‘70 jag XJ6, GS450h drivetrain, 102s Tesla pack
arturk

Post by arturk »

Bryson wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:42 pm Didn’t Damien pop his when he tried to charge under 200V? That may be related..
Right, I remember he said "much under 200V".
Lowest I tested was at 185V for few seconds and 3A current limit. No pop, no smoke, no charge.

What is your revision?
Bryson

Post by Bryson »

1014693-00-G
Attachments
9CF050FF-A909-4DE1-B164-97B0F66C7FC6.jpeg
‘70 jag XJ6, GS450h drivetrain, 102s Tesla pack
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I think the reason they break below 200V is because they do not limit DC output current. So each module seems capable of 15A. If you allow 16A@230Vac in that is 3750 W. That is only 10A@375Vdc (neglecting losses) but roughly 18A@200Vdc. So already above rating. Go figure @100V.

If you limit DC current or AC current to stay below 15A you should be fine
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

arturk wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:20 pm Folks, I am trying to test Tesla GEN2 charger. Using V5aB3 board running commercial software downloaded using link on Wiki page (not registered yet, just testing for now). All modules are operated on one common phase (110V).

When I initiate charge in "Manual" mode by putting HIGH on '"D1" two modules are being activated (see photo, showing only two module LED lit). I get ~110V on the output regardless of setting on web interface. I verified only one module outputs voltage. I checked voltages and control signals to power modules: GND, +15V, +12V, ENABLE, CHARGE_ACTIVATE. All look good.

Does it look like broken charger? Is there anything else to check?
Do you have CAN logs? Of the internal Canbus? It's the easiest way in telling at which side of the river you are.
arturk

Post by arturk »

EV_Builder wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:56 am Do you have CAN logs? Of the internal Canbus? It's the easiest way in telling at which side of the river you are.ut
No, I did not have a chance to capture logs yet. If I do, which messages should I be paying attention to? I admit I did not study Tesla Charger messages but my understanding is that there is a lot of messages to go through. Tips would be greatly appreciated.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Filter by the unique IDs and post them. Then I respond with what I see. Idea?
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

johu wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:29 am I think the reason they break below 200V is because they do not limit DC output current. So each module seems capable of 15A. If you allow 16A@230Vac in that is 3750 W. That is only 10A@375Vdc (neglecting losses) but roughly 18A@200Vdc. So already above rating. Go figure @100V.

If you limit DC current or AC current to stay below 15A you should be fine
Basicly what you say is always max out the current limit to 15AMPS per module in the firmware.....
arturk

Post by arturk »

EV_Builder wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:51 am Filter by the unique IDs and post them. Then I respond with what I see. Idea?
Attached is 15 seconds of CAN log. Roughly 5s into log I engaged manual charging mode @240 limit. All three power modules enabled.
Attachments
1014963-00-C all 240V.xlsx
(370.11 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Roadstercycle

Post by Roadstercycle »

Well I don't know what I'm doing wrong since i've changed the parameters before with Putty. I can use "q" to quit but for some reason I can't change anything. It won't accept any typing or commands except "q" I know it's something I'm doing wrong just can't figure what it is.

Any thoughts would be helpful. New battery pack and I want to go easy on it and lower some settings.

Thanks in advance.
Johaljaswant

Post by Johaljaswant »

Roadstercycle wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:06 pm Well I don't know what I'm doing wrong since i've changed the parameters before with Putty. I can use "q" to quit but for some reason I can't change anything. It won't accept any typing or commands except "q" I know it's something I'm doing wrong just can't figure what it is.

Any thoughts would be helpful. New battery pack and I want to go easy on it and lower some settings.

Thanks in advance.
Try Arduino serial monitor!
Johaljaswant

Post by Johaljaswant »

EV_Builder wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:28 am
Johaljaswant wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:11 pm Right side inlet socket first two pin of Tesla charger is short. I think that the reason fuse blowing.
If it's broken let me know. I'm interested in it 8-)
Yes it is broken.
Johaljaswant

Post by Johaljaswant »

I did replace charger because it broken due to lack of cooling. So EVSE fuse blown problem solved.
Now EVSE get kick in and all charger modules activate but still not charging.
Attached screenshots
Please advice.
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
A82E7E23-19E3-4F93-AAC6-81A945A5573D.png
4ACC8EEF-D8A0-4926-9CD9-1171EA60E489.png
Roadstercycle

Post by Roadstercycle »

Johaljaswant wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:08 pm
Roadstercycle wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:06 pm Well I don't know what I'm doing wrong since i've changed the parameters before with Putty. I can use "q" to quit but for some reason I can't change anything. It won't accept any typing or commands except "q" I know it's something I'm doing wrong just can't figure what it is.

Thanks in advance.
Try Arduino serial monitor!
Yes that did the trick. Worked great, thank you.
janosch

Post by janosch »

Quick question (Gen2 Charger, "commercial" firmware):

1) I want to power up the charger only when I plug a Type-2 cable in (to save power, to not get conflicts when using CHAdeMO). Whats an easy way to do that? I could look at the PWM on the proximity signal, ...

2) I tried to use "A1 - OUT2 - AC present":
I just plugged a Type2 cable in with charger powered up, but left "A3 - D1 - enable" low, hoping to get +12V on "A1" but it remained at 0V (might be my wiring).
When does it come up?

Update:
Finished now. No need to read the PWM (although I did implement that, too). The wiring diagram for the charger board had the hint: Proximity is 3.3V when disconnected, 2.1V when connected and button depressed and 1.2V when fully connected.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

Hi, not sure if the right thread to ask but what is the max voltage Tesla gen2 charger can charge to? Also can it charge at 3.3 kw from single phase when needed as well as full 10 kw? Thanks
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

m.art.y wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:36 pm Hi, not sure if the right thread to ask but what is the max voltage Tesla gen2 charger can charge to? Also can it charge at 3.3 kw from single phase when needed as well as full 10 kw? Thanks
About 420VDC.

You can configure to charge over single phase, three phase, or both.
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Due to an "upgrade" on Olimex wifi modules I can no longer supply them as open networks. By default all charger kits will have SSID : charger PASSWORD : charger123

If someone could please update the wiki with this would be much appreciated.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:51 am Due to an "upgrade" on Olimex wifi modules I can no longer supply them as open networks. By default all charger kits will have SSID : charger PASSWORD : charger123

If someone could please update the wiki with this would be much appreciated.
Was in the past the SSID always already charger?
(asking for the wifi text)