Tesla Small Drive Unit Support Thread

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
JaniK

Re: Tesla Small Drive Unit Support Thread

Post by JaniK »

Very cool!

Dis you have to change the BOM for the SDU boards too?
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

First batch of prototypes have arrived from JLCPCB. Initial observation is that this is top tier board building. As good as anything I have ever seen in my career and better than anything local who have charged a hell of a lot more.

I'd like to appeal for some calm in relation to the whole JLC build. I won't be responding to anymore "DAMIEN! WHEN ARE YOU RELEASING THE JLC BOM AND PLACEMENT FILES!" type of emails or messages on here or otherwise. The boards will be tested. Errors if found corrected. Webshop and github will then be updated and videos made. The vast majority of people are great and appreciate the effort involved but some seem to think I'm their personal design engineer. Newsflash! I'm not.

Now in relation to the webshop we'll be making a few changes. There will be three tiers of board available to buy :

1) Board direct from JLC as I receive them with listed smt placed, unprogrammed and untested. This will replace the bare boards currently on sale.
2) Board direct from JLC as I receive them with listed smt placed, programmed but untested. This gets around the need for programming the micros.
3) Board with all components both listed smt and non listed smt and through hole placed, programmed and tested.
Attachments
2020-01-17 15.08.11.jpg
2020-01-17 15.08.16.jpg
2020-01-17 15.08.17.jpg
2020-01-17 15.08.23.jpg
2020-01-17 15.08.29.jpg
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Hassleweed

Post by Hassleweed »

This is great news. This Scotsman in California is keen to get his Lotus 7 project underway with the SDU! I enjoy watching your videos and admire your work Damien.
Martin
Building the CyberSeven: Lotus inspired, Tesla powered roadster
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Thanks Martin. Will be updating the shop this week all going well.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Bench tests on the V6 SDU board from JLC complete success.

A few errors on my part :
1) D1 and D2 incorrect polarity
2) C5 (1nF) missing from bom.

Next up testing in an inverter then up for sale:)
Attachments
2020-01-18 14.29.42.jpg
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Nice, good to know! Already started sale of V3 boards before even receiving them :)
The typo in my surname is a classic by now, don't change it :P
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

In advance of releasing the new boards for sale (with significant price drops) I decided to make a video detailing exactly how support works for Tesla and other logic boards from the evbmw webshop. I would encourage anyone considering a purchase to please view this video and ensure you are comfortable and familiar with the support structure around these products.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Boards now available on the webshop once again:
https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-webshop
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Update : 21/01/20 : V6 design files now released. Both fully built and partial built boards available from the EVBMW webshop : https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-webshop
Don't want to buy from me and support ongoing development? That's ok as this release also includes the BOM, CPL and Gerber files needed to build your own at JLCPCB : https://jlcpcb.com

With the new service from JLC I'm pleased to announce a price reduction on fully built boards from 600 Euros to 400 Euros and the reintroduction of partial built boards
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Great work Damien!

I think best value would still be the tested boards.
For anyone considering buy, think about it:
The designer has allready tested them, it saves you time.

PS, just my thought, do not (yet) have purchased any products.
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Sparky 61

Post by Sparky 61 »

Hi, trying to test run my SDU on the bench, prior to putting it into the Solar Corolla for this years pilgrimage to Speed Week in AUSTRALIA at the end of March, unable to get the main contactor to close, have changed the parameters for the low voltage test, the main contactor come in and chatters as long as I hold the start button in, but falls out when released.
Firstly do I need to set the parameters for the throttle before I attempt to test run the motor.
Secondly I don't have the brake switch wired in, do I also need this before I attempt to test run the motor.
Thirdly is there a sequence with the brake and throttle controls that need to be followed.
Fourthly dose anyone have a list of what all the acronyms stand for in the "configuration file"
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Sparky 61 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:36 pm Hi, trying to test run my SDU on the bench, prior to putting it into the Solar Corolla for this years pilgrimage to Speed Week in AUSTRALIA at the end of March, unable to get the main contactor to close, have changed the parameters for the low voltage test, the main contactor come in and chatters as long as I hold the start button in, but falls out when released.
Firstly do I need to set the parameters for the throttle before I attempt to test run the motor.
Secondly I don't have the brake switch wired in, do I also need this before I attempt to test run the motor.
Thirdly is there a sequence with the brake and throttle controls that need to be followed.
Fourthly dose anyone have a list of what all the acronyms stand for in the "configuration file"
Sparky I believe this answers #4

https://openinverter.org/wiki/Parameters
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Sparky 61

Post by Sparky 61 »

Thanks mate for the info much appreciated.
Sparky 61

Post by Sparky 61 »

Hi, I think I may have found my problem.
On the motor parameters at "din_ocur" I have "Error" not sure how that has occurred as the motor hasn't seen any current yet from low voltage testing unless it is a problem that came with the motor.
How do I reset the "Error"
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Check your current sensors and fit the hvil disable jumper during testing.
Sparky 61

Post by Sparky 61 »

Thanks for your response.

What tests can l conduct on the current sensors other than a visual.

Can you provide more info on how and where to fit the hvil disable jumper during testing.

Cheers
nesto1972

Post by nesto1972 »

I have the same problem ,"din_ocur"is on error.I checked the currentsensor twice for short and measured 3.4kohm and 13.1kohm on both!
what mean the hvil disable jumper?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Sparky 61 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:13 am Can you provide more info on how and where to fit the hvil disable jumper during testing.
nesto1972 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:04 am what mean the hvil disable jumper?
Look up the PCB 'plots' on Damien's GitHub. Here's the V4 board and you'll note "HVIL DISABLE" is CONN9;

https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... %20PCB.pdf
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
nesto1972

Post by nesto1972 »

- What is the purpose of conn9 pin HVIL? Is this a live HV+ signal or is it opto isolated analog signal. Or even further, digital data for HV value?
HVIL = High Voltage Interlock. It is a loop used to detect if hv connectors are properly seated, cover is in place etc. In this case I loop it into the NAND gate and have a jumper to disable for testing.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

nesto1972 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:40 pm - What is the purpose of conn9 pin HVIL?
Look up the PCB schematics on Damien's GitHub. Here's the V4 board and you'll note "HVIL_EXT" is part of the PWM Inhibit circuit;

https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... ematic.pdf

Just follow Damien's advice and report back if you're still having problems;
Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:22 am Check your current sensors and fit the hvil disable jumper during testing.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
nesto1972

Post by nesto1972 »

Ok i bridge HVIL and tryed again but din_ocur still on error.
Inverter is only on 12 Volt and not connected to Motor or encoder ,no HV!
The messages are:
(1) warn:PWMSTUCK
(10) warn:HICUR0FS1
(10) warn:HICUR0FS2
(501)Stop:Precharge
Are the HICUR0FS the sensors? i checked again one coil is 3.75kohm the other around 12kohm!#

The pins of the sensors i extended after 1 hour of trying putting back into the wholes!
So should i continue with building low voltage side for testing or is this a major problem wich have to be solved first?
Attachments
current sensors wire extention
current sensors wire extention
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Use a dc voltmeter to check you are getting 5v to the current sensors and getting 2.5v out from them both.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

nesto1972 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:40 pm The pins of the sensors i extended after 1 hour of trying putting back into the wholes!
I'm not aware of anyone having these problems (I've assembled a few SDU's) and I suspect something else is going on :?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Also, check the value of ocurlim.
nesto1972

Post by nesto1972 »

I measured on both sensors the same!
5V: 5V
OP:2.5V
REF:0V