[DRIVING] Peugeot 406 coupe Pininfarina with Leaf motor and Ampera inverter  [FINISHED]

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
arber333

Re: Peugeot 406 coupe Pininfarina with Leaf motor and Ampera inverter

Post by arber333 »

You could probably see BMS sensor on the photo. Each 16S has one thermistor which i tape close to the battery terminals so i can measure surface temp of the middle cell in that module.

Interesting info, when rear cell temp wouldnt go down fast enough, because there is no airflow in the back, we used moist towel and put it over both cell modules. In couple of minutes temp went from 45deg down to 43deg! Liquid cooling rulez!
But later i had to reposition the towel since it became warm.
arber333

Re: Peugeot 406 coupe Pininfarina with Leaf motor and Ampera inverter

Post by arber333 »

Well now...
I decided to use current battery configuration with one module on top of the other to fit a cooling plate between the two.
Cooling plate is made of 12mm alu. I had them made for a while now... A friend with mill cut 10mm grooves into the plate and we inserted bent U copper tube. It was more difficult than first seemed. Copper tube wanted to spring out of the groove and i had to physicaly restrain it by expandin aluminum. I used a point to hit alu plate near the groove edge and it expanded sufficiently to keep copper tube inside.
Since i had to replace defect battery anyway i decided to test fit one block to one of the modules. Idea was to keep the height as low as possible while inserting alu plate between both modules.
Between modules and alu plate i fitted blue thermal silicon 0.5mm thick. I am using this to hopefully equalize thermal conductivity between all cells. I got it here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3289118 ... 1802lVjQd6

After i test fitted one set i am convinced there is enough space to apply cooling to all of my modules.
Another thing entirely is how to connect coolant hoses. I am toying with using some quick release manifold, but i still dont know how.

Would it be good enough to use serial connected cooling plates with 2x cooling radiators on each side or would paralell tubing to central manifold be better for my use?
Attachments
20221008_214726.jpg
20221008_214743.jpg
20221008_221228.jpg
20221008_221236.jpg
arber333

Re: [DRIVING] Peugeot 406 coupe Pininfarina with Leaf motor and Ampera inverter

Post by arber333 »

Marked first post as [DRIVING] and FINISHED as i use it every day. I made some 40000km to date.
Alas i have to admit i still work on it since that quick charge neds additional cooling for battery...