2004 BMW 330 with SMG/SSG Gearbox

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
mdrobnak

Re: 2004 BMW 330 with SMG/SSG Gearbox

Post by mdrobnak »

tom91 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:25 am Luckily the SimpBMS should directly work with a CODA charger, canbus is slightly different then the LEAR variants.

Good thing these chargers open up easy and make changing the plugs on them quite straight forward so you can fix the AC side to a pigtail or another panel mount connector.
I haven't powered up the EVCC yet to see the configuration, but this is what it says about LEAR:
EVCC Manual wrote: LEAR
The EVCC supports some Lear chargers. This support is limited to the “control message” to the charger with
CAN ID “0x00000050” and the status message from the charger with CAN ID “0x00000617”. It has been
found that not all Lear chargers use these messages due to different firmware and may not support this
message set.
The EVCC only defines a single lear charger type, named “lear”. When a Lear charger is configured, the
CAN datarate is changed from the default of 250kbps to the Lear required 500kbps.
Only one Lear charger may be configured. Having more than one Lear charger is not supported. Having one
Lear charger and another non-Lear charger is not supported. Since the Lear charger runs at 500kbps, all
CAN devices on that network must be set to the 500kbps datarate
It looks like the Volt version of the SimpBMS is expecting CAN IDs in the 0x304 and 0x30E set.
I guess I'll have to do some CAN tracing when I get it going to see what IDs and values it expects.

-Matt
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Oeps, porting the CODA charger over to the Volt Gen 1 code now. :)

Updated SimpBMS firmware is here : https://github.com/tomdebree/AmperaBatt ... /VoltBMSV2
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

That was super fast!

On the downside: the motor I was going to buy apparently has a non-standard input shaft. So getting that repaired is now very uncertain.

A more comprehensive 'Motor List' would be useful about now. :-D

The HVH250-090-S is still available. Not sure what to do. :(
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

I've been informed that the 300A max TQ rating on the -S motors is pretty much the safe limit. So, that's not gonna work for me (due to reduced voltage on the Volt inverter...)

So the issue is this that the design of this input shaft has 4 bearings, and the new ones have 2. No idea if it can be retrofitted or not, or if there are any more of the old design left. It is the standard 24 spline output as I'm expecting.

At this point the motor I'm going to use is unknown.

Anyone have any suggestions for reusing OEM motors? Clearly not Enova. :D :D :D

-Matt
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Well there's a motor from a Navistar Estar which I found looking around Craigslist the other day....
$300, Petaluma CA.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts/d/ ... 53645.html
It claims 70kw and 221lb-ft torque, and apparently was run at 300V. Looks like a single-speed reduction gear, ratio unknown.

The original vehicle was 8000 pounds with a 4000lb payload capacity, so 2-3x the weight of a BMW 330.
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2010/0 ... 00514.html

Not much information on the original vehicle, besides an 'average maximum acceleration' of 0.39g.
https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy14osti/61899.pdf

The only other OEM option I'm aware of (since you're running through a transmission) is the classic Siemens 1PV motor, either a 5135 or 5133. AFAIK the 5133 has a nasty open front bearing - that is the Ford Ranger one. I believe Damien has a 5135 in his Land Yacht, and I have one in my nearly-complete Boxster. The 5135 runs $2600 or more.
http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=1PV5135 <-- where I got mine

-Isaac
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

I just pulled this info:
UUC Website wrote: Total rotating mass of the complete flywheel and twin clutch package is 25.5lbs, the same total mass as a typical 11.5lb flywheel coupled with the M3 clutch or UUC's Stage 2/M5 clutch conversion package.
So I do wonder how that would be for a Leaf motor? Those can still be gotten fairly inexpensively.

That Estar thing is funky!

Yeah Siemens is still a 'if all else fails' option. :)
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Is it absolutely required that you use a clutch? I did some reading about the SMG/SSG and it seems more or less like an automatically shifted manual. What if you just skipped the clutch and used the clutch control to put the motor into neutral so that it wouldn't apply power? Then maybe the synchromesh could deal with it?
Just thinking off the top of my head with this.... Of course you're the expert with these gearboxes. Also you'd lose the ability to pop the clutch....
-Isaac
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Isaac96 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:10 am Is it absolutely required that you use a clutch? I did some reading about the SMG/SSG and it seems more or less like an automatically shifted manual. What if you just skipped the clutch and used the clutch control to put the motor into neutral so that it wouldn't apply power? Then maybe the synchromesh could deal with it?
Just thinking off the top of my head with this.... Of course you're the expert with these gearboxes. Also you'd lose the ability to pop the clutch....
-Isaac
I'm not sure what would happen if the position sensor moved much quicker than it expected.

I know what signals are used to do torque requests from the gearbox, so that part is taken care of. Part of doing this setup is to keep the unique gearbox setup as-is, because it's fairly rare. Only a few years had it, and only a few models.

In other news, a new arrival (or maybe I should say an old arrival has returned?):
From my business partner, Dundon Motorsports -
IMG_20200527_190035.jpg
Old item: CAN Sniffer. New Item: Motec M130 that will be the control unit for the 330.

The M150 that's currently in there will go in the M3, because I need a lot more IO for that project. MPC555 processor, an FPGA for crank-angle computation, and 256MB of flash for logging. Runs Linux! Calibrated via the XCP protocol, over IPv6. (For the network nerds: Hey at least something uses IPv6 :D )
IMG_20200527_190220.jpg
-Matt
Hollie_Maea

Post by Hollie_Maea »

Hi Matt,

Isaac mentioned the Siemens 5133 "Ford Ranger" motor and alluded to some quirkiness there. Basically the story is that this motor was designed to be integrated into a custom gear reduction much in the same way that the Tesla motors are. There are two implications you have to deal with:

1. Like Isaac said, the bearing is open, since the motor was designed to be mated into a gearbox that had oil in it. So you have to take it apart and replace that bearing with a sealed bearing.

2. The output shaft is a goofy thing with a very large diameter with helical teeth intended to mate into custom gearbox. Many years ago Eric Tischer, who successfully used this motor in his Passat conversion, Figured out that the best bet was to squeeze the heck out of it with a taperlock that goes straight to the flange you need for the transmission. If you want to see how he did that, check out his website here:

http://etischer.com/awdev/

And click on "motor and adaptor".

So yeah there's some mechanical fussing you have to do to get it to work. However, if you do at some point decide to go down that route, I have one that I would sell to you for much less than you could get the admittedly easier to use 5135 from Jack at EVTV, and you wouldn't have to pay for shipping.

But agreed, Siemens in general probably are a last resort. They're not super powerful and are quite heavy.

Paul Lackey
EVDrive
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

6 LG Chem batteries are on order from Thunderstruck Motors. :)

Given the availability of a well-machined adapter, saving the appearance of a bazillion Nm tq motor in the next week or two, I'll probably pick up a LEAF motor (EM57 variant probably?)

So those items are conditionally in the first post.

And a charge port from the Leaf as well.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

I have seen the future. But I can't talk about it much.

Similar specs to the HVH-250-115-DOM, easier to work with, and reasonable pricing for the performance...However it'll be at least a month before I can buy it.

Updated first post again. :-)

In other news, I just got an order for my E46 M3 ECU package from..Sweden. So priority is getting that finished, before the 330 now.

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

A few recent arrivals:
ampera_board_1.jpg
The nicely-made board from Damien, thank you sir. JLCPCB quality does seem to be pretty high, especially for their pricing.

I also received the bazillion-in-one device:
isa_shunt.jpg
The ISA shunt. 1000A version.

Updated first post of BOM and costs.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

They're here, they're here!
IMG_20200619_113941.jpg
Now I just need to unpack them and put them somewhere for now. :)

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Not strictly related to this conversion per-se, but I've picked up a few items of interest:
* CHAdeMO charging cable (station side.... :D and unfortunately not cheap! - $80 in shipping because these things are so heavy!)
* J1772 and CHAdeMO socket from Nissan Leaf (with harness!)
* EVTV CAN sniffer for Model 3

Goals:
* Decode messages on car side CAN, and sniffing the CHAdeMO side CAN at the same time, to try and correlate what's going on there. This is to use in the future on the M3 with CCS and a Model 3 PCS.
* Integrate CHAdeMO using minimal external components
- Get current and voltage data from ISA shunt
- Get voltage and temperature data from SimpBMS
- Make small PCB with just enough components to control contactors and 2 CAN buses.

I'm also interested in how Speeduino integrated with Tuner Studio... that's my biggest stumbling block here to move away from MoTeC - tuning interfaces are _hard_.

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Two fun items arrived today:
IMG_20200703_141348.jpg
That cable / connector is huge and heavy. 20 LBs :D
IMG_20200703_141621.jpg
This thing better be more form vs function, because $200 for that .... Box wasn't even closed all the way. And old-school full size USB cable, not included.

Waiting on a CHAdeMO port / cable, I need to find the mating connector to that, hook that up to the cable I have, and splice in the CAN. Then I can use my CHAdeMO to Tesla connector and hopefully get somewhere with that.

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

First release of BMW E46 package for the S54 was released, so that's now off my plate for a short while. Back to debugging the transmission control on the 330 next.

However, one thing that annoyed me was I was unable to get the steering wheel controls going.

Well, with some horribly written Arduino code, I got it going. Yay! So now I will have cruise control again on the Motec. Just need to spit out the data over CAN. Simple 8 bit data protocol, not hard to get going. Exercise left to the user. ;) I got a MoTeC native implementation of it done, but it's...even worse than my Arduino code. There's nothing fast enough to capture the pulses except..a pulse buffer. But, it's tied to engine rotation, and thus it's not going to work with my eventual EV conversion package. So I'll lean on the Arduino code in a nicer fashion. But, for now, it does work, just need to tune the cruise control. It's pretty neat, it targets a given acceleration rate and uses a simple Integral controller. By default it uses the Throttle Aim, but because I have my torque model, I hacked it (this is not normally modifiable) to use the throttle pedal instead. Since it's just using the error to calculate the change, it should work fine. And it seems to work reasonably well.

So a little bit of tuning on that, then waiting for feedback on the S54 stuff. But I'm going to fix the wiring to work on the M130 for the 330 so I can start testing things again.

Other items of note:
I got the CHAdeMO port (along with a J1772 port) from a LEAF.
IMG_20200705_195828.jpg
Seller must sell a bunch of electronics stuff given the amount of times the box was used already. :)
IMG_20200705_200035.jpg
Packaged well.
IMG_20200705_200054.jpg
Dirty as usual.
IMG_20200710_200622.jpg
It got a little broken. You can also see the covering connector which pretty easily came off.
IMG_20200710_200741.jpg
IMG_20200710_200807.jpg
It cleaned up pretty well.
IMG_20200710_200647.jpg
Part number.
IMG_20200710_201547.jpg
I'm looking for the mating connector to this, so I can hook it up to the CHAdeMO cable...
IMG_20200711_191929.jpg
As you can see it fits well enough for a 5 minute test session to log data. Need to figure out how to log the SWCAN side too. (Chademo, SWCAN, Car CAN all at the same time should prove to be fairly illuminating.)
IMG_20200710_201052.jpg
I picked up a US spec charge port controller as well. Need to figure out what connectors to use.

Then it was my birthday on Sunday, so took Monday off and went to the Oregon coast. It was nice.

That brings us up to date (except for the LG batteries in the next post...too many pics per post?).

Next items:
* 330 transmission debugging
- Be less aggressive about following requested torque
- When monitoring data looks as close as possible, test again.
* Battery interconnects
- I have no idea what to buy for this.
* BMS wiring
- Need a molex-compatible crimper...the official ratcheting one is nice, but...$300 :( My crimper 'worked' on the test wires I did on the SimpBMS (hey, an Arduino board :D), but I'd rather a better one.

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

I also finally unpacked a LG battery:
IMG_20200708_215710.jpg
IMG_20200708_215838.jpg
I guess I should have unpacked it a little sooner. :D
IMG_20200708_215848.jpg
For a size comparison...

As of today, EV West and Thunderstruck have no more of them. :(
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Picked up Part 990174 from here: https://www.delcity.net/store/Metri!Pac ... 2.h_804413 which hopefully will work better on those molex terminals.

Got the car started today on the M130. Turns out Terminal 15 is used for Fuel Injector Voltage supply relay control, which I assume is a safety feature - pull the key back, cut off voltage supply. I had Terminal 87, and wakeup, but wasn't sure I needed 15. I did. Car starts, need to fix the idle as it's all out of wack.
Had to get rid of both manifold pressure and fuel pressure sensors at the moment due to the way the wiring is. M150 has Sensor A,B,C. I had all my add-on sensors on C. M130 only has A and B. So I'd have to move the supply / ground wiring over to A or B...which is more wiring changes. Yay. I'll try and tame the idle and take it for a spin, then figure out what I want to do.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Need to get my fuel pressure sensor back up, but waiting on some wiring supplies to do it nicer than I have now.

I have range anxiety already, and I don't even have the car done. I have a feeling these LG batteries are going to end up in the M3, 3 across, 2 rows. While they fit in the engine bay on the 330, they don't all fit across in the trunk. Oops. I was looking at the https://batteryhookup.com/products/comp ... attery-96s but I have nowhere to take that apart let alone store LOL. Nor the equipment to move it around..just too heavy! I just hope there are decent sources in 6 months.

I was also looking at the parallel string guide on the Orion BMS site https://www.orionbms.com/manuals/pdf/pa ... trings.pdf and yeah that certainly adds more complexity in terms of additional contactors (lets say do the two diodes for charge / discharge enable), and fixing things (like charging an individual module) if a cell goes bad. Or the two bus version, but that kills regen, unless you bridge both buses during driving operation. And then there's the question of if the charger will detect voltage currently. Is the eddy current issue mainly a concern during rest? If so, then that seems reasonable - bridge buses during charge events or when regen is enabled. Else, leave charge bus disabled.

Hence my thought that buying something with the right capacity is what I should have done in the first place. Ah well.

Motor is still not available, testing on it is still ongoing.

I still need to know what mates to that connector so I can try and get charger data.

-Matt
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Sensors are good. Car starts and runs reasonable with real data, as it turns out.

On the M3 CP ECU front...interesting little beast.
I have it powered up and being angry.

Attempting a replay of a CHAdeMO session ...not so great. It could be because there are no signals from the charge port wiring so it's like F off this isn't real.

Ordered a port + cover: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273925308022

Design is definitely different between S and 3, but in the SAE version (ie NA version) there's still some contactor fun that goes on in order to route the AC and DC to the right destination.

From my limited success so far, it does not seem to generate the fast charge ARBIDs I would have expected.

-Matt
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

mdrobnak wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:14 am On the M3 CP ECU front...interesting little beast.
That's good news :)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

mdrobnak wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:14 am Sensors are good. Car starts and runs reasonable with real data, as it turns out.

On the M3 CP ECU front...interesting little beast.

Attempting a replay of a CHAdeMO session ...not so great. It could be because there are no signals from the charge port wiring so it's like F off this isn't real.

Ordered a port + cover: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273925308022

Design is definitely different between S and 3, but in the SAE version (ie NA version) there's still some contactor fun that goes on in order to route the AC and DC to the right destination.

From my limited success so far, it does not seem to generate the fast charge ARBIDs I would have expected.

-Matt
I'll be watching this -- I'd rather like to have Chademo and CCS together in a vehicle 8-)
Are you replaying CAN logs from a model 3 at the controller?
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 am
mdrobnak wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:14 am On the M3 CP ECU front...interesting little beast.
That's good news :)
Well if you call throwing bus resets every 5-10 seconds good news, sure. :D

Hopefully once I get the port hooked up it begins to be less angry.
Isaac96 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:02 pm I'll be watching this -- I'd rather like to have Chademo and CCS together in a vehicle 8-)
Are you replaying CAN logs from a model 3 at the controller?
Well, this won't help on the CCS front yet unfortunately. It's a US spec controller, which means no GreenPHY and therefore no CCS. I've got the physically huge Tesla to CHAdeMO adapter, and that's how I logged the session. This is on my Model 3 Performance. The thought here is that:
a) I already have something else using the Tesla connector
b) The port isn't that expensive (you need the cover though - it's part of the HVIL!)
c) I have the CHAdeMO adapter
d) A working CHAdeMO port was about the same price

So why not use a port that is only slightly larger than a J1772 and allows for fast charge as well? If I didn't have a Tesla, I'm not sure I'd go this route. I'd probably buy a CCS port even if I only had J1772 for the moment. (Meta observation: I've gone the way of Apple. Ugh.)

I have some theories as to what is needed to make it go. I also think that too much traffic throws it into a CAN overload mode, which it may or may not recover from. So to confirm things I probably need to hack into the car side connector on my car and see what ARBIDs are being sent to it.

Hopefully this will then allow movement on the CCS side (on that note, I sent a message to the store that had the EU spec controller, but never heard back :(), which I'll probably do on the M3 to validate assumptions.

On another note, anyone need a LEAF J1772 port and cable assembly? :)

-Matt
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

mdrobnak wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:05 pm
Well, this won't help on the CCS front yet unfortunately. It's a US spec controller, which means no GreenPHY and therefore no CCS. I've got the physically huge Tesla to CHAdeMO adapter, and that's how I logged the session. This is on my Model 3 Performance. The thought here is that:
a) I already have something else using the Tesla connector
b) The port isn't that expensive (you need the cover though - it's part of the HVIL!)
c) I have the CHAdeMO adapter
d) A working CHAdeMO port was about the same price

So why not use a port that is only slightly larger than a J1772 and allows for fast charge as well? If I didn't have a Tesla, I'm not sure I'd go this route. I'd probably buy a CCS port even if I only had J1772 for the moment. (Meta observation: I've gone the way of Apple. Ugh.)

I have some theories as to what is needed to make it go. I also think that too much traffic throws it into a CAN overload mode, which it may or may not recover from. So to confirm things I probably need to hack into the car side connector on my car and see what ARBIDs are being sent to it.

Hopefully this will then allow movement on the CCS side (on that note, I sent a message to the store that had the EU spec controller, but never heard back :(), which I'll probably do on the M3 to validate assumptions.

On another note, anyone need a LEAF J1772 port and cable assembly? :)

-Matt
Okay, so you're going to use the Tesla port in your conversion with the Chademo adapter. Awesome. Of course you can also use the J1772 adapters with that (might need lots more CAN work... oof).
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Isaac96 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:10 pm Okay, so you're going to use the Tesla port in your conversion with the Chademo adapter. Awesome. Of course you can also use the J1772 adapters with that (might need lots more CAN work... oof).
That's a good point, I should log Telsa AC (SWCAN) vs J1772 AC (Pilot signal only) and see how that differs on CAN data as well. I'd imagine it's a 1 bit change. They should go through very similar motions on the car side. (There's a Model 3 DBC available that has good info, but there's a LOT of IDs which don't exist in it.) I've never seen a car with more CAN data, which isn't surprising.

From a physical perspective, technically if you wanted you could just do the $40 J1772 -> Telsa adapter and you have straight up J1772. So that's still viable if someone wants to go down that road.

-Matt