Electric Mazda RX-8 using 2015 toyota Avalon hybrid inveter

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Dylan Witt

Re: Electric Mazda RX-8 using 2015 toyota Avalon hybrid inveter

Post by Dylan Witt »

Changing my battery configuration, to a 3p63s system, should be about 252 volts, and my speed should be closer to 50mph with low field weakening
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

okay, well i have been up to something. im currently using the P314 Transmission as a generator, so what im planning on doing wil be adding a 265 volt 125ah battery, and a separate transmission to connect to a small diesel engine to charge the battery, i have been testing using a small 6hp gas engine, i was able to drive the car around using only the power generated by the hp engine, running at 265 volts, engine at half throttle i was able to drive around normally, kinda like a hybrid vehicle, but the reason im using a small engine is for the mazda rx8 build where i plan on driving the vehicle as a test platform, the way i have it configured i should be able to drive about 80-150 miles, i think adding a larger battery to the vehicle will be a great for increased fuel economy, plus adding some convince of not having to recharge at a charging station. once i start the build and adding another battery pack i will update soon. should be about another three months or four to continue the build due to my work situation.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Missed your last update.

You're going to a higher voltage, but still only think you'll hit 50mph, same as before?

I kinda like your idea of using a small gas engine as a hybrid. I've flirted with the idea myself a few times, as it's far cheaper and simpler and lighter than hauling around a larger battery pack that I will only occasionally need (and still only be able to make short trips). It'd be nice to have a roadtrip option.

What motor did you go with, or, what small diesel are you planning on using?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:56 am Missed your last update.

You're going to a higher voltage, but still only think you'll hit 50mph, same as before?

I kinda like your idea of using a small gas engine as a hybrid. I've flirted with the idea myself a few times, as it's far cheaper and simpler and lighter than hauling around a larger battery pack that I will only occasionally need (and still only be able to make short trips). It'd be nice to have a roadtrip option.

What motor did you go with, or, what small diesel are you planning on using?
Cheaper... simpler... lighter? Never is piston engine lighter than comparable electric motor. Simpler...just make the bearing count and if you are still not convinced count other parts.
Cheaper...maybe, but in EU it can cost you with regulators, since your creation needs to be confirmed for use in a car. I mean fuel and exhaust are systems and that is a headache with 11 regulations to follow. E system only has one...

Though i would rather agree using some large FWD car like Volvo V70 as is and putting Toyota MGR on the rear axle. Petrol engine is already in and battery could go in the trunk. Actually this is what Volvo has allready done to its V60 diesel car :).

I dont think RX8 is meant for a hybrid. It is either a sports car or not... For start nothing of petrol/diesel will fit in the front. Hood is too low. With exception of wankel engine ... and Emotor of course 8-).
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

arber333 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:12 amCheaper... simpler... lighter? Never is piston engine lighter than comparable electric motor.
No, but a very small piston engine is going to be a lot lighter than a massive battery pack.

I.E. Get a 40 mile battery pack and an engine for longer travel, and that's smaller, lighter, rangier and cheaper than a 200 mile battery pack. Plus the convenience of on-the-road filling.

It's at least worth considering, as, in my area, fast charging stations basically don't exist so shorter-range EVs are simply not roadtrippable.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:08 am
arber333 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:12 amCheaper... simpler... lighter? Never is piston engine lighter than comparable electric motor.
No, but a very small piston engine is going to be a lot lighter than a massive battery pack.

I.E. Get a 40 mile battery pack and an engine for longer travel, and that's smaller, lighter, rangier and cheaper than a 200 mile battery pack. Plus the convenience of on-the-road filling.

It's at least worth considering, as, in my area, fast charging stations basically don't exist so shorter-range EVs are simply not roadtrippable.
Ok, i agree to that.
And again i would recommend you use ground(road) to connect your piston axle and E-axle. No need to reinvent the wheel if there are good FWD cars waiting to be added with MGR or similar :)...
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

i tested the ideal of only using a 6hp predator engine connected to the transmission generator side. so i might have been a little happy when i was able to drive the Mazda around using only the generator to provide power, i was able to accelerate as if i had a battery, i kept the engine governor at a throttle setting that gave me 265 volts, once i pressed the accelerator the governor of the engine took over and acted as i intended, the engine didn't go above half throttle with the governor control. i drove the car around my yard and up a slight 5% grade hill, at first the engine struggled as i was trying to find the proper throttle setting in the initial test, after this the car moved as if it had the regular hybrid battery. all of my testing with the engine connected to the generator side of the transmission was done so without a high voltage battery. im testing this weekend at highway speeds. no hybrid battery during testing, this is for me to figure capable power of the small 6hp predator engine that was running on petrel of gasoline, im planning on buying a 12hp diesel engine, as it will be easier to work with and less flammable. planning on using a separate generator assembly once im able to design a encloser for the p314 transmissions generator assembly.
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

well, after this test. i have determined that using the small engine as a power source to power and charge the hv battery will work. my initial testing i have determined that the vehicle requires about 25-50 amps to start moving, on the slight hill i was testing on i know the battery's were pushing nearly 50 amps to move the vehicle. i used the same test hill once i mounted the engine to the generator of the hybrid transmission. using all of this as my proof of concept for the small engine as a power source and possible battery charging. i have found that with current battery's and ease of use with the Prius prime battery im only able to get about a 125ah 265 volt battery inside of the Mazda, with the diesel engine as a mobile charging system this should help with the range of the vehicle, also will be using the gen three inverter as a plug in charger, and the duel inverter control board to make use of both motors in the hybrid transmission. so what is my plan??? well i recently repaired a 2012 kia optima hybrid that had a engine mounted generator starter. i purchased one of these to use as my charger/generator for the car. i will update as things go along, and record some video of the process.
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

with more research i found specifications on the Kia optima Hybrid starter generator assembly, i according to the data at a rpm of 12000 the hsg is capible of 8.5kw and 43.2nm at 270 vdc 125amps. so i should be able to use two of these in my electric car as the hybrid generator
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

i now have a working kia optima hsg using a diesel engine. i don't have the correct gearing to sufficiently supply power to my rx8 battery. as the video test shows the voltage was only about 250 volts, well this is good and bad because the engine was at full throttle. above the rated 3600 rpms, so back to the test bench and going with a 4-1 ratio. im at a 2.8-1 ratio with the current setup.

Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

After careful consideration, I have decided to buy all Tesla motors and battery’s for my electric Mazda rx8. I recently purchased control boards from two separate manufacturers, purchased components to finish the boards so I can use a Tesla drive motor. Wasn’t sure I about flashing the firmware, but followed Damien’s video, and now have a functional Tesla LDU open inverter control panel.
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Tesla LDU control panel
Attachments
6821BF2C-FBD4-4204-ACC0-EB43BFED218C.jpeg
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Another test of the dual control board, setting up to charger my Mazdas battery’s in the next month. Hopefully this test is useful. After this I found the limit of the offset and ran out of power from my tester, going to use two 12 volt battery’s once I get back home, should be close to the opperation soon.

Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

This was several months ago, after setting the felid weakening to 600hz the car was driving at 60mph. after about a weeks worth of hair pulling finally reading thought the wiki and studying motor control software and terms the throttleramp i had originally set to 40 should have been set at 12,000, this would have eliminated the need to adjust the field weakening to 600hz. i didn't understand what was going on during my first videos where i was only going about 20mph, those videos never made it to youtube. how ever now knowing that i hadnt really blew anything up following the forum i will be working on testing the car at the 12000 throttle ramping before completely going away from the Toyota Avalon P314 hybrid transmission assembly to a tesla drive motor. waiting for a clear day of sun shine to test. please view this test at 60mph before i change the settings to the appropriate TUNE.

Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Finally have the throttle control for the Kia hybrid motor starter generator running. Motor seems to respond great, will be posting specs for firmware as soon as I’m back on my computer.

Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

Well. I’m confused, the electric car was driving great until I updated the foc firmware, blew my second inverter, first one I thought I had reversed the power connection but after spending three days attempting to get the new inverter and dual motor board to drive I ended with a blown inverter again. Can anyone help with this. I’m not using my third inverter until I know this won’t happen again. Also the first inverter blew the buck boost igbts, the second one blew the control board on the inverter. I have stopped for now because I can’t seem to figure this one out. Been reading for hours on the forum and wiki just to verify it wasn’t me.
Note that I did correct the different wiring for the main signal cable when installing the dual control board. Disconnecting the grounds from mg1, and verifying before powering up.
Attachments
params mazda rx8 original.json
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
1D4BD555-D411-40D5-8F08-48CB904BDFBD.jpeg
5BDB2ABD-C28A-4740-8B14-31942AC566F0.jpeg
Dylan Witt

Post by Dylan Witt »

final testing before getting the diesel engine settled into the car. it is winter now and i have barley any time to work in the car. i plan on moving most of my battery's located in the trunk down into the transmission tunnel with custom aluminum mounts. i have not settled on using an inverter instead of the diode bridge. the inverter is running the dual motor control board v4 single motor at the moment (would like to use a Kubota 3cylinder engine with electric start connected to the inverters mg1 connections), the past few attempts to get the cars inverter INVERTING have ended in blown inverters. the only thing i can see that contributed to the other destruction to the inverters were misconnections for power (powering though the diode side of the inverter). the new inverter is connected using the wiki diagrams. the first inverter driving the car was using the correct connection points but seen a sudden end of life when i removed the inverter to resolder the step down converter for the wifi module (i dropped a glob of hot solder on to the stm32, since that fist video the car has not moved) the new dual motor board and new undamaged inverter will be used for the new test drive. after going from 200rpm on throttle ramp and learning that the car will not get up to highway speed with out using a massive amount of amps and field weakening
the car would only go 50mph, but now with the throttle ramp set to 12000 rpm and field weakening set to 600hz i should have a decent acceleration speed, past acceleration was about 30-50 seconds to 50. 0-25mph would set you into the seat., here is the video of the amp and voltage test for the small diesel engine. probably 6hp maybe 8hp. my throttle was set to about 1/2 and engine rpm was at 3420 (engine is rated at 3600rpm) voltage was 194vdc 15amps steady, peak at 20amps, voltage drop to 130vdc, no sign of anything getting abnormally warm.