Mitsubishi outlander charger and DC:DC

Mitsubishi hybrid drive unit hacking
m.art.y

Re: Mitsubishi outlander charger and DC:DC

Post by m.art.y »

arber333 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:49 am
But it seems my Eltek charger has died quietly!
Surprisingly both Outlander charger still work!!! I can get 17A from them...
Not that i promote that kind of abuse, but they seem to be well protected.
I've read your blog and your endeavors with various chargers. I am in a need of a charger now since I got my car driving. I wonder which route to take. I am using a gen3 Prius inverter to drive my car, I could also use it as a charger if it works? I read about you running it with EMW code, have you dropped this idea and did it work? What I need from a charger is to be able to charge from single phase since we don't have 3 phase at home. And also I would like to charge from public type2 points at 7 kW would be enough I think. What could you suggest? Prius, outlander, Volt, Leaf charger? I would like to charge my cells to ~3.9 v (my cells are rated to charge at 4 v max) and I have 2x 96S packs which I will be trying to connect in parallel somehow. 😊
arber333

Post by arber333 »

m.art.y wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:36 pm
I've read your blog and your endeavors with various chargers. I am in a need of a charger now since I got my car driving. I wonder which route to take. I am using a gen3 Prius inverter to drive my car, I could also use it as a charger if it works? I read about you running it with EMW code, have you dropped this idea and did it work? What I need from a charger is to be able to charge from single phase since we don't have 3 phase at home. And also I would like to charge from public type2 points at 7 kW would be enough I think. What could you suggest? Prius, outlander, Volt, Leaf charger? I would like to charge my cells to ~3.9 v (my cells are rated to charge at 4 v max) and I have 2x 96S packs which I will be trying to connect in parallel somehow. 😊
I have really good experience with Outlander charger. It is just 3.3kw but in the same package it also has DCDC converter with about 2kW capability. All liquid cooled. To top that off it has a reporting string on CAN bus that sends voltage and temperature when active. I am thinking of using this information together with Mitsubishi current sendor to make a rough voltage current reporting since i dont have ISA shunt with voltage sensor.

On the other hand i have been using EMW charger for like 6 years now and almost all was from 3phase 600Vdc rectified. No PFC since 3phase works really native with it. If you want to use it from single phase i recommend to use PFC. Single phase makes a lot of waste harmonics...
Since today all cars are 360Vdc nominal this translates nicely to 3phase buck.
I will post here with some details on making a liquid EMW charger with my own board design soon. I can tell you i use Prius gen2 inductor since i can use it up to 18kW with my air cooled EMW charger. It is NOT isolated though so you need to decouple it from car chassis. I use simple rubber mounts.

I didnt come far with Prius and EMW code. I can say input/output voltages really translate good to the code. I see good linear function up to 500Vdc.
Battery side can go up to 420Vdc which is good, but when i tried with my VW battery inverter just TSKed at me. Probably i got some Toyota engineers angry... I will try again soon but i need to setup some 200Vdc battery here since i suspect 360Vdc is too much.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

arber333 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:58 pm
I didnt come far with Prius and EMW code. I can say input/output voltages really translate good to the code. I see good linear function up to 500Vdc.
Battery side can go up to 420Vdc which is good, but when i tried with my VW battery inverter just TSKed at me. Probably i got some Toyota engineers angry... I will try again soon but i need to setup some 200Vdc battery here since i suspect 360Vdc is too much.
So is there a way to set custom voltage for outlander charger now as I read here it ignores voltage command?

That EMW charger was homemade that you used for 6 years?

Prius and EMW did not charge batteries of 360 v? There is new code for it being developed here hope that in the near future I could learn how to use it. I then could use outlander to charge from single phase at home. And when I'll need to charge at public type2 I could employ Prius charger?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

m.art.y wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:19 pm So is there a way to set custom voltage for outlander charger now as I read here it ignores voltage command?

That EMW charger was homemade that you used for 6 years?
Sure you can send like 360Vdc CAN command and charger will spew 3kW merrily until it gets to 420Vdc :). The way i stoped this was using its own CAN reporting and my CAN shield for Arduino DUE chip. Due waited for CAN telegram with voltage info and when charger went above preset value i set two steps. First it reduced current to 3A and at the second step it went to 0A. It works rather nicely up to 392V i have it set for now.

I forgot to tell you i developed my EMW charger in various versions from 2013 and only last 6 years or so i used it without any problems. Also i ditched the funky uLCD and i am using it in serial mode with Wemos D1. Dima wrote really good interface to connect to by phone, set required parameters and let it rip! https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/202 ... interface/
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

arber333 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:53 pm
Sure you can send like 360Vdc CAN command and charger will spew 3kW merrily until it gets to 420Vdc :). The way i stoped this was using its own CAN reporting and my CAN shield for Arduino DUE chip. Due waited for CAN telegram with voltage info and when charger went above preset value i set two steps. First it reduced current to 3A and at the second step it went to 0A. It works rather nicely up to 392V i have it set for now.
That's really clever, certainly an option then, thanks 🙂. Do you think Prius charger could serve as a travelling charger to charge from type 2 points? By the way, 7 kw type 2 charging stations these are 3 phase right?
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

m.art.y wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:14 pm
That's really clever, certainly an option then, thanks 🙂. Do you think Prius charger could serve as a travelling charger to charge from type 2 points? By the way, 7 kw type 2 charging stations these are 3 phase right?

EDIT: It seems 7 kw charging stations are still single phase, did not realize that. Then the question is can 2 chargers be wired on a single phase? Only one of them would be used to charge at home and at public point I would turn the other one on. Also do you just wire the outputs of both chargers to same terminals of HV battery - you're not dividing battery in half or so? Thanks
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

EDIT: It seems 7 kw charging stations are still single phase, did not realize that. Then the question is can 2 chargers be wired on a single phase? Only one of them would be used to charge at home and at public point I would turn the other one on. Also do you just wire the outputs of both chargers to same terminals of HV battery - you're not dividing battery in half or so? Thanks
arber333

Post by arber333 »

m.art.y wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:26 pm It seems 7 kw charging stations are still single phase, did not realize that. Then the question is can 2 chargers be wired on a single phase? Only one of them would be used to charge at home and at public point I would turn the other one on. Also do you just wire the outputs of both chargers to same terminals of HV battery - you're not dividing battery in half or so? Thanks
No problem. Chargers are isolated so you can paralell them any way you like.
However using two chargers from single phase is not what i wanted. Not that it cant be done. Its just that controls become redundant and complex.
I am using single charger at home (have provision to use two as well) simply by the fact i only show one phase on my home cable EVSE. I have 3 phase at home and i connect my EVSE on 3phases, but i pulled only single phase from it.
At public L2 EVSE stations i connect with 3phase L2 cable (mennekes). That way its easy and you cant make an error pulling too much from the house.

In your case i would take two PWM signals from DUE to command them. And i would put a switch on DUE box. If switch will be active then only one PWM output would go live. If you release switch both PWM will be active each controlling their own charger through transistor module.
This would require you to toggle a switch at home so you dont pull too much from single phase.
However if you leave it on home mode and go charging on public EVSE you will only see that when only one charger will work. Then you will have to reset the whole charging process, because that is how internals inside Outlander work. Both chargers need to see CP (PWM) signal go to 6V and at that time EVSE needs to open contactor. Sometimes this is quite annoying...
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

arber333 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:04 pm In your case i would take two PWM signals from DUE to command them. And i would put a switch on DUE box. If switch will be active then only one PWM output would go live. If you release switch both PWM will be active each controlling their own charger through transistor module.
Yes that would be great and exactly what I would need. What parts do I need to order to achieve this with the due? I saw you designed a shield for the due, have you got any left? What else would I need to order to achieve this?

By the way, when charging at 7 kw 96S pack how many amps would each cell see?
Thanks 😊
arber333

Post by arber333 »

m.art.y wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:04 pm By the way, when charging at 7 kw 96S pack how many amps would each cell see?
Thanks 😊
About 19A from the beginning then it tapers off to 17A as voltage rises.

I still have some boards left if you need one.
You would need:
- 2x Mitsubishi chargers
- 1x Arduino DUE
- 1x DUE CAN shield V3 - check
- components according to my BOM - check
- Appropriate EVSE socket on your car and cable
- 2x control connectors for Mitsubishi chargers. I actually have 2 left with crimps - check
- 2x N mosfet or NPN darlington transistors that would translate DUE PWM to chargers - check
- Some wiring and a relay for DCDC triggering if you would want that function - check

I will PM you later...
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

Hello. Anybody has an Outlander charger with the above number? The part number is slightly different than I saw people use here. Wonder if it is essentially the same and all CAN commands will be the same?

arber333

Post by arber333 »

It is the newer model, 2018 forward i think. I have one of the old and one newer and they have the same interface.
aot93

Post by aot93 »

First post here, wanted to say thanks for all the useful info shared.

I'm currently converting a classic mini using outlander rear motor, inverter and charger.
Last night I installed the charger which just fits under a mini front seat.

I had to modify the 12V output stud so I could get the charger closer to the cross member.
Here is a photo of the under side of the charger, the 12v stud is simply bolted in like the HV out.
IMG_20210213_205725.jpg
bobby_come_lately

Post by bobby_come_lately »

Very cool. Be interested to see how you get on with the rear motor. I have a rear inverter and have come close to buying a rear motor for playing a few times. If I see one at a sensible price... In retrospect it might have been the better choice for my project.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Well every thing has a high end to it, so are Outlander chargers obviously.
Today i put final 8 cells in my rear battery box for a whole 104S system. I managed to join the batteries at 4.01V per cell. Everything went nicely and i got 417Vdc system voltage. Now i can get my inverter working and car runs fine, aside the DCDC converter! When i tried to start it i got a short 14V pulse from it and then it went into shutdown.... I think 417Vdc is over its peak. I tried to drive for a time on my shitty 10A LED PSU, but steering pump draws too much power when driving and i only managed to drain the battery down to 415Vdc.
I tried to disconect DCDC 12V signal cable and CAN bus to reset it and every time i get the same result. 14V rises for a brief time and then DCDC goes into shtdown. I will try the same with the charger to see what would be the boundry there....

EDIT: No... this wont work. I managed to update firmware on my DUE and start the charger. I got them to click some relays inside but they would not work any further with 415Vdc.
Clanarn

Post by Clanarn »

Hi, Just got the dcdc working on my OBC. As I'm reading through this thread I'm seeing different suggestions about what should be connected on pin 9(charger) from EVSE. Is it Proximity pilot or Control pilot? Thx
Clanarn

Post by Clanarn »

Ive also noticed that the pinout as described on the wiki page is wrong if you follow what is written on the Sumitomo connector.
This pinout should be correct for the Sumitomo connector:

Pin 1 CAN H (Black)
Pin 2 CHIN (Serial protocol to EV Remote wifi module)
Pin 3 DC SW (enables the DC:DC converter)
Pin 4 (Blue) NC on outlander
Pin 5 NC on outlander
Pin 6 (Orange) NC on outlander
Pin 7 CAN L (Red)
Pin 8 CHOT (Serial protocol to EV Remote wifi module)
Pin 9 NC
Pin 10 GND
Pin 11 Proximity signal from charger
Pin 12 IGCT main power to charger
Pin 13 Sense line for DC to DC converter

Pin 12(IGCT main power to charger) needs 12v power also. I connect it together with Pin 13(Sense line for DC to DC converter)
ACC0EB4A-21A7-412B-8B6B-4FCB21384EF1.jpeg
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Pilot proximity doesn't go to the charger, you'll likely want to use it with how ever you are controlling it though.

I think pin numbers are messed up on the connectors though, can't remember if the housing has different numbering. But looking at the plug, from the back where the wires come out, clip up, top left, call that 1, to its right 2 etc, 7 is bottom left.
Attachments
processed-3.jpeg
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Clanarn

Post by Clanarn »

Ok i see. Thanks for explaining. "Proximity signal from charger" pin is actually Control pilot then.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Clanarn wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:37 pm Ive also noticed that the pinout as described on the wiki page is wrong if you follow what is written on the Sumitomo connector.
This pinout should be correct for the Sumitomo connector:

Pin 1 CAN H (Black)
Pin 2 CHIN (Serial protocol to EV Remote wifi module)
Pin 3 DC SW (enables the DC:DC converter)
Pin 4 (Blue) NC on outlander
Pin 5 NC on outlander
Pin 6 (Orange) NC on outlander
Pin 7 CAN L (Red)
Pin 8 CHOT (Serial protocol to EV Remote wifi module)
Pin 9 NC
Pin 10 GND
Pin 11 Proximity signal from charger
Pin 12 IGCT main power to charger
Pin 13 Sense line for DC to DC converter

Pin 12(IGCT main power to charger) needs 12v power also. I connect it together with Pin 13(Sense line for DC to DC converter)

ACC0EB4A-21A7-412B-8B6B-4FCB21384EF1.jpeg
This is what I'm seeing on the wiki,

Pinout as as follows:

Pin 1 (Orange) NC on outlander
Pin 2 NC on outlander
Pin 3 (Blue) NC on outlander
Pin 4 DC SW (enables the DC:DC converter)
Pin 5 CHIN (Serial protocol to EV Remote wifi module)
Pin 6 CAN H (Black)
Pin 7 Sense line for DC to DC converter
Pin 8 IGCT main power to charger
Pin 9 Control Pilot from charging cable
Pin 10 GND
Pin 11 NC
Pin 12 CHOT (Serial protocol to EV Remote wifi module)
Pin 13 CAN L (Red)

https://openinverter.org/wiki/index.php ... on=history Bobbycomelately corrected it in February, do you have a cached version loaded?
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
cloudy

Post by cloudy »

Any chance anyone has weighed one of these? Thanks!
bobby_come_lately

Post by bobby_come_lately »

10.95 kg dry mine is

edit: I sound like yoda!
cloudy

Post by cloudy »

haha, you I thank!
janosch

Post by janosch »

Clanarn wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:37 pm Pinout
Hey, thanks for this, this is the pinout that worked for us.

Has someone had any luck of separating the DC/DC unit from the charger and using it separately?

We got DC/DC working this morning, but 3.3kW is not enough for us, so we have a Tesla Gen2 unit for charging. It would be great to extract the DC/DC board and coils into a separate box that could also be about 50% smaller than the existing unit.

It is a shame that the Mitsubishi OBC only has 3.3kW, I even thought about using two of these in parallel to bring it up to the 6.6kW we need...

We opened the unit, and traced the lines from the outside connector, to the one on the board but they go through the charger board & its microcontroller first.
Attachments
PXL_20210510_135712352-min.jpg
arber333

Post by arber333 »

janosch wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:10 pm
It is a shame that the Mitsubishi OBC only has 3.3kW, I even thought about using two of these in parallel to bring it up to the 6.6kW we need...
Yes i use two chargers in paralell for 6kW6. I need to use Arduino Due with CAN and i take CP signal in DUE and provide PWM for both chargers so that they think they are alone. CAN bus works with a single command msg and keep alive msg.