Flying ADC 16 channel BMS 96S test

Topics concerning OEM and open source BMSes
mario

Flying ADC 16 channel BMS 96S test

Post by mario »

I got battery box fixtures in place and I’ve finally connected the battery to the BMS but have some strange voltage readings from a few BMS devices.
@johu, I’m unsure if this is the right place to post since it’s a continuation of the previous discussion. If not appropriate, I apologize—feel free to move the post.
1727516174832.jpg
I’m sharing a Google Sheets doc with all data:

I manually checked the voltages multiple times before connecting the BMSes, and everything looked fine. All values measured on the BMS connector were as expected. Though I used a basic multimeter and rounded values while writing them down, they seem consistent. In the first sheet ("manual"), the orange columns show the manually measured values, while all other values are calculated. Total voltages match both box manual measurements and the values received from the ISA shunt.

I performed multiple CAN status reads for each BMS using the oic tool. The second sheet ("can") includes a comparison of these reads with HV battery connected and disconnected. The devices with expected values are marked in green (bms1, 4, and 6). However, devices 2, 3, and 5 return strange values. Additionally, I noticed that part of boards 2 and 5 gets unusually hot - over 110 celsius degrees.
1727535252237.jpg
Log files here in zip
bms_logs.zip
oic logs
(15.47 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

To rule out HV battery wiring issues, I tested another battery (5 cells) and confirmed that devices 2, 3, and 5 still report invalid readings, while 1, 4, and 6 behave correctly.

Any help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated! Let me know if more information is needed.

As a side note, while testing with the other pack, I captured a thermal camera image of BMS 2, showing the location of the hot area. I also measured that my RPi5 + RUT956 consumed about 450 mA at 12V (likely 250 mA from the RPi and 200 mA from RUT during 4G connection). The six BMS units consumed another 200 mA collectively.
Short video with everything connected and then BMS disconnected, left only rpi and router.
thermal
thermal
johu
Site Admin

Re: Flying ADC 16 channel BMS 96S test

Post by johu »

So to summarize:
- BMS1 works correctly but gets hot (in the lower mux region)
- BMS2 shows somewhat of a reading on ch1 but saturated ADC values on all other channels and does NOT get hot?
- BMS3 shows pretty much 0V no matter if cells are connected or not but it also does NOT get hot?
- BMS4 works correctly and does not get got
- BMS5 behaves like BMS2 and in addition gets hot
- BMS6 works correctly and does not get got

Do the hot ones cool down when you flick the "enable" parameter to 0 = Off?

On BMS2, 3 and 5 when you set numchan=1 which voltage do you see across C7? (it will then keep the first channel switched on all the time)

Does the fault stay with the module when moved to a different position, i.e. swapping 5 and 6?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
mario

Post by mario »

Thanks for the quick reply, and moving to a new topic...

BMS1 works ok and does not get hot, it looks like that on thermal image but it's showing BMS2 actually, BMS1 is not visible on the image. That image is from when I connected 5s battery to it and also disconected BMS1 from the "chain". BMS2 gets warm when connected to the battery and I would say that it gets hotter when powered on.
Devices are not in the car now because I removed them when went to the friend to check with 5s pack, but if needed I can reconnect BMS1 in chain and connect all to the 96s battery to confirm.

When I connected 96s battery, by touch it felt that oposite part of the mux is getting hot, one near pins 15 and 16.

Here is summary:
1. working ok - not hot
2. reads as you say and gets HOT
3. you are correct, reads always +-500mA no matter if connected to the battery or not, and not hot
4. working ok - not hot
5. behaves as BMS2, invalid reading and get HOT
6. working ok - not hot

I apologize for the typo in my previous post: it's BMS2 and BMS5 that get hot, not 1 and 5.
Do the hot ones cool down when you flick the "enable" parameter to 0 = Off?
Haven't tried flicking "enable" but disconnecting device from the ground. If it's not powered it still get warm.
On BMS2, 3 and 5 when you set numchan=1 which voltage do you see across C7? (it will then keep the first channel switched on all the time)
Will put setup in the car and report back.
Does the fault stay with the module when moved to a different position, i.e. swapping 5 and 6?
I was thinking that connecting 5s pack with the same wiring to all modules would cover question like this because it's reporting same values as from the 96s pack - compared just first 5 ofcourse.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Ok, it seems like 3 modules have some sort of hardware fault. Can you return them to me?
I have 2 modules left, then I have to order more. I will test them before sending, the ones I sent to you were not tested.

Do you think they could have been damaged at any part of commissioning?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
mario

Post by mario »

Does that mean that you don't need me to put it in the car and do above tests - measure c7, swap between...?

Sure, I can return if needed.
My plan was to connect complete battery and try to balance it, no need to send me first two and then 1 separately, just send them all when you have them ready, I'll wait.

I don't think they are damaged during use. I checked wiring before connecting them to the battery multitple times, and when I got wrong read outs, I first suspected wiring and checked it again, and did measurements manually - all ok.
I don't think there is any physical damage either, all looks good to me.

Thank you very much finding time to help.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

mario wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:20 pm Does that mean that you don't need me to put it in the car and do above tests - measure c7, swap between...?
From your second clarification it seems like an obvious hardware fault. So you could send them back for inspection and possibly repair. Do you still have the address?
mario

Post by mario »

johu wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:50 pm Do you still have the address?
Yeah, I'll find it on the original box and ship it tomorrow morning.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Got the modules on the table now. So far I've established that module 2 and 5 had a shorted mosfet on channel 0. That's how they became hot and that's why they only displayed something meaningful on the first channel because all the others were shorted out.

On module #3 the mosfets seem fine but it was the ADC and I2C switch that was toast.

Unfortunately now I can't tell whether these parts were broken in the first place or if its some design quirk that fried them when you connected your cell voltages.

I've replaced the broken ADC and switch, now gotta steal some working mosfets from somewhere and then try to test the whole thing.
mario

Post by mario »

johu wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:04 pm Got the modules on the table now.
Glad they made it to the operating table! :)
johu wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:04 pm So far I've established that module 2 and 5 had a shorted mosfet on channel 0. That's how they became hot and that's why they only displayed something meaningful on the first channel because all the others were shorted out.

On module #3 the mosfets seem fine but it was the ADC and I2C switch that was toast.

Unfortunately now I can't tell whether these parts were broken in the first place or if its some design quirk that fried them when you connected your cell voltages.
Ah, that’s not the news I was hoping for! :?
I’ll use the same wiring when I connect them again, fingers crossed it helps figure things out.
johu wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:04 pm I've replaced the broken ADC and switch, now gotta steal some working mosfets from somewhere and then try to test the whole thing.
Thanks