Registering and changing tax class of an EV conversion in the UK

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
bobby_come_lately

Re: Registering and changing tax class of an EV conversion in the UK

Post by bobby_come_lately »

Just absurd.

Labour are tweeting a lot about their plans for Green Manufacturing and EVs. I've responded a few times and sent information to (non-Labour) people who asked questions, but no responses yet.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Don't worry, it's safe as long as it's taxed as a petrol..
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
eUKenGB

Post by eUKenGB »

Bigpie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:06 pm More bollocks.
IMG_20230313_125310315.jpg
Basically the same reply as to my local MP.

First of all they make no attempt at understanding that DVLA are actually being unlawful in their refusal to reclassify converted EVs. Secondly they spout nonsense about maintaining safety standards while completely ignoring the fact they happily allow pre 2001 vehicles to be re-classified. So older cars are ok to be converted, but they are oh so concerned about the safety of newer cars being converted.

It is all illustrative of those in these positions of power being unable to actually comprehend the logic of the regulations and similar inability to provide any coherent argument to support their stated position.

Sadly there appears no end to the chronic ignorance displayed by those in power in the UK and who control our lives.
Ken G i l l e t t

“You can’t have too many bikes"

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Total Bollocks. What on earth has the safety aspect mentioned in this letter got to do with anything. The decision made to tax cars converted to electric will make zero difference to safety.
I need a bigger hammer!
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

It seems to me this has sort of helped to solidify the situation, if the ongoing position is that any car post 2001 cannot have their fuel type/tax changed.

So with any pre 2001 car, don't cut chassis or bodywork, only use existing structure to avoid IVA. Tax and log book can be changed

Post 2001, if they won't change the logbook, so why bother to tell the DVLA, then the rules on no cutting or drill don't really need to apply anymore. Go crazy, just make sure your insurance company is aware.

So by trying to "not indirectly encourage unsafe practices" they are indirectly enabling unsafe practices by removing the incentive to inform the DVLA who almost always send someone out to look at conversions.

I'm not encouraging anyone to do this. Since I think by law you do need to inform them of any changes even if don't do anything with it.
catphish

Post by catphish »

Bigpie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:06 pm More bollocks.
IMG_20230313_125310315.jpg
I apologize for repeating myself, but it really makes no difference how many people in government regurgitate this. The author of this letter is simply repeating what they've been advised the law means. They are not a lawyer, and have not put forward any legal argument for their position. To the best of my knowledge, the law doesn't need to change, it simply needs to be interpreted correctly.
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

Unfortunately @catphish is probably right, the same letter is just dug out of the cupboard, the only way to force a change will be very expensive as you would have to take DVLA to court.
The current excuse does fall over in 2024 when the tax exemption ends, currently the excuse is fuel type can't be changed because it linked to tax class (co2) as then the car would stay in the old tax class based on co2 and in theory fuel type could then be changed within thair interpretation.
However I would not be surprised if they find another excuse.
I expect it will go they way of lpg where the converter has to be a member of uklpg for them to update v5 (despite there being no legislation to require it, just thair interpretation I assume based on safety arguement given to them by uklpg)
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

I'd already given up, the letter was quite a surprise, my MP doesn't seem interested in arguing the case just forwarding any letters he gets back to me.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

Yes I must admit that letter mentioning safety and the varied technical ability of those carrying out conversations seems to hint that there’s all ready back channel talk of making it a closed club,
JamesA

Post by JamesA »

It does seem like what the authorities are really concerned about is preventing/discouraging potentially dangerous conversions... but instead of tackling that directly, they're simply discouraging ALL EV conversions by taking an illogical zero-tolerance approach to both the tax class rules and the "don't drill/weld the chassis" rules.
xp677

Post by xp677 »

Quick question which is related to this, not sure if it's worth it's own thread.

Does anyone have any insight on if there would be difficulty registering a newly made "kit" car, or custom built vehicle (on a Q plate) which contains an EV powertrain? Would there be issues regarding inspection of the vehicle which a combustion engined car would not struggle with?
tom91

Post by tom91 »

You need to get a R100.01 test report from an approved authority or an authority to approve/witness your test report.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
xp677

Post by xp677 »

So just the R100 testing, not R10 (EMC) as well?

Are there any places in the UK which provide these services with the general public / home conversions in mind? Last I heard, such testing was out of reach of the public, designed for car manufacturers, etc.
catphish

Post by catphish »

xp677 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:18 pm So just the R100 testing, not R10 (EMC) as well?

Are there any places in the UK which provide these services with the general public / home conversions in mind? Last I heard, such testing was out of reach of the public, designed for car manufacturers, etc.
For UK IVA you only need R100. No EMC testing for now. There are approved companies that will do such tests for the general public. I've heard that this company may do it for a reasonable price if you ask nicely: https://www.horiba-mira.com/certificati ... nece-r100/
eUKenGB

Post by eUKenGB »

I was looking again at the new VED rates planned for 2025 onwards, but I can find no information whatsoever on cars first regd. prior to April 2001. All the web sites that proclaim "all you need to know about …" are basically lying as they never mention earlier cars.

Between 2001 and 2017, the rate is defined, but no info on how EV conversion will be handled. Will DVLA continue on their anti-EV crusade and maintain tax class cannot be changed? Which still leaves pre 2001 conversions undefined. Currently DVLA will accept them as EV and charge zero VED, but will that continue as EVs will no longer be exempt?

Anyone seen any information about this issue since the new rates were announced?
Ken G i l l e t t

snelly

Post by snelly »

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/625633

out off date but need to be restarted i think

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/main ... r-classic-

and motorhomes dvla want you to bolt thing down !!
car/https://climbingvan.co.uk/van-life/recl ... rvan-dvla/

Hypothetically if the fire brigade would have come out to a converted car to electric the which DVLA will not change to electric on there database.

DVLA will make it a danger to the fire service's as they would not no they were dealing with a EV Fire
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Seems the DVLA are now refusing to update even pre 2001 log books. I heard today about a conversion that was inspected by the DVLA, they then told the owner that they were completely happy with the conversion. But couldn't update the fuel type due to being told not too by a "Higher Authority".

The conversion was a bolt in kit, of which quite a few have been converted, inspected and logbooks updated in the past. The car itself was over 40 years old so not even close to the previous 2001 cut off point.

So who knows what's happening now.

Edit: A day later, the DVLA updated the logbook to electric. Ignore everything I say!
eUKenGB

Post by eUKenGB »

So it's all still a complete mess and the DVLA don't know their arse from their elbow. Some things never change.
Ken G i l l e t t

snelly

Post by snelly »

Hi
I had my 1990 vehicle inspected on 30/6/23.
they emailed the report to DVLA next day.
have been phoning DVLA every month for updates and the latest today they say that the department dealing with it is have internal changes please wait another month!
could not get any more information out of them, bit concerned that they are going to change their policy on EV conversions?

has anyone got there project V5c changed lately?
Attachments
dvla.JPG
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

After sending more info to the DVLA they wrote back today saying I need to have the car inspected.
Not sure if the girl had the first clue as she was asking for the same information I had already sent so probably took the easy option and dumped the job on someone else.
Inspection is Thursday Morning so I'll report back later.
I need a bigger hammer!
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

snelly wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:23 am has anyone got there project V5c changed lately?
I have 2 suspicions for the stalling of issuing v5's both of which could be true...
(a) they are stalling to try and save a few quid till April when the exemption of Electric Cars from road tax is removed
(b) there is legislation (or new process) in the pipeline to make ev conversion more difficult ... remember zero-ev/felten claimed to be consulting for DVLA (everyone get ready for your mandated Orion BMS :? )
edit: just saw the date of your post.. i hope for your sake they gave you your v5 by now :) but with DVLA anything is possible.
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Alibro wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:31 pm Not sure if the girl had the first clue as she was asking for the same information I had already sent so probably took the easy option and dumped the job on someone else.
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone at the DVLA that has a clue about anything.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Feltham are asking for DVLA feedback, seems to be saying they're having issues with even pre 2001 now. Fill in if you can.
Screenshot_20231220-203845.png
Screenshot_20231220-203855.png
https://www.hcva.co.uk/323/about-the-hi ... 391sWT3nxY
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Alibro wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:31 pm Inspection is Thursday Morning so I'll report back later.
Good luck today!!! :) Keen to hear about the process, sounds like I'll need the same too so
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

nkiernan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:19 am Good luck today!!! :) Keen to hear about the process, sounds like I'll need the same too so
Thanks mate.
It went OK with only one potential issue that would be easily resolved but might not even be picked up on as the inspector said they may not be able to see the issue in the photo's.
Today's inspection was doing an ID check and taking photos to send back to Swansea. Apparently they are specifically looking for the method used to secure cables from front to back and especially whether the cables are tied to hand brake cables or brake pipes, he said they had seen cables tied to flexible hoses in the past. I had cable tied to the hand brake cable at the point where it is bolted to the underside of the car.
I need a bigger hammer!