Chademo Controller Development

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
Jack Bauer

Chademo Controller Development

Post by Jack Bauer »

Decided to make a subforum for all fast charge related development and here to kick things off is a design in progress for a Chademo controller :

https://github.com/damienmaguire/Chadem ... Controller

Based on the JLD505 design by EVTV , further developed by New Electric and now passed on to me.

I have removed a lot of the (imho unnecessary) isolation stages and features to give a basic and simple box to control fast charge.

Uses the Modice MX150 32 enclosure. The 10 way plug goes to the chademo port and the 20 way to the vehicle.

I've used versions of this in both the E39 Landyacht back about 5 years ago and currently in the E31 Panzer.

More details to follow.

UPDATE : 15/09/20
Following failure of the two previous version based on having HV sensing onthe board the decision was made to use an external sensor and transmit the data via can. The device chosen is the ISA IVT shunt that I now use in all my vehicles for battery monitoring : https://www.isabellenhuette.de/en/preci ... vt-series/

Isaac96 did the big task of porting the old firmware from the Atmega328 to the much more capable SAM3X8E and removing a lot of legacy rubbish : viewtopic.php?f=17&t=524

New Software : https://github.com/Isaac96/CHAdeMOSoftware

New Hardware : https://github.com/damienmaguire/Chadem ... AN_Version

The result is now a working system to implement Chademo on EV conversion without the need to sense HV on the actual board. Software is fully opensource. Hardware schematics and gerbers released. Full sources in the near future.

ISA Shunts now available :
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=524&start=150#p18047

Kits available on the EVBMW Webshop:
https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-w ... hademo-kit
I'm going to need a hacksaw
johu
Site Admin

Re: Chademo Controller Development

Post by johu »

Very nice.
How about having another CAN bus interface to talk to the vehicle?
For example I have a BMS already doing current and voltage sensing so rather than adding additional hardware I'd rather hook it up to CAN. What do you think?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yeah I'd be happy to use something like the STM32F107 with dual can but I'm limited in software development. The Atmega328 version has the code written and proven so I figured I'd go with that to get something off the ground.
doobedoobedo

Post by doobedoobedo »

How about using the SAM3X8E (due)?

The 328p code (assuming it's arduino) should be pretty easy to port to that, and Colin Kidder (who I note is listed as an author on your github readme) has an excellent CAN library which can use both CAN interfaces on the SAM3X8E.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

If you mind sharing the software I can have a look at how it would be to port to an Arduino Due/ SAM3X8e.
Or has nothing changed from Collins JLD505 software?

Should be pretty quick really, can be designed as a board that plugs into a Arduino Due to keep it really simple.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

I've made my own CHAdeMO control software and hardware, but I'm having some compatibility issues with some chargers.

Once there's a testable version of this board I'll start testing different combinations of code and hardware to see what's up. Hopefully I have time.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

celeron55 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:41 pm I've made my own CHAdeMO control software and hardware, but I'm having some compatibility issues with some chargers.
That would be useful data. Can I suggest you start your own thread with details about your hardware/software?
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I've uploaded the code I'm using in the Panzer to the repo. It's 95% original I would say. Few tweaks to remove things like the temp sensors from what I can see.
doobedoobedo

Post by doobedoobedo »

Just thought I'd mention that I'm creating an Arduino Due shield for this with an additional CAN transceiver.

Does anyone interested in working on this have any preference for how things connect to it? If no-one does then I'll use a double row of 0.1" headers.

Keeping to the "what's available from LCSC" theme I've picked the GTL-POWER B0505S-1W as the isolated dc/dc converter. Thoughts on that choice welcome too as I've never used one before...
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Great to have this much extra development taking place. Just do note that not all LCSC parts are available for placement by JLC. Now, I will be working away with my own design as A)I need something that works asap and B) need the least development effort and risks. Once the due / other versions are proven then we can reassess. Would be a good plan to start another thread for the due / shield versions to keep things easy to see for new arrivals.
doobedoobedo

Post by doobedoobedo »

I appreciate that your priorities differ.

Unless I'm missing something JLC don't offer an isolated DC/DC converter in their parts list. Although if if voltage and current are coming from the BMS over CAN then that part should be redundant anyway.

I'll start another thread when I'm ready with the shield design rather than posting in here.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yeah if you are getting the info from can then no need for any isolation at all. JLC won't do stuff like that. Would need to be hand fitted. Not a big deal as its just a little 4 pin through hole dcdc. Not putting you down I appreciate the support just trying to keep things in order:)
xp677

Post by xp677 »

Bit late to the party, but you can add as many CAN interfaces to the Atmel 328p as you have available CS pins.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

xp677 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:16 pm Bit late to the party, but you can add as many CAN interfaces to the Atmel 328p as you have available CS pins.
You sir are a genius:)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Now that JLCPCB are back to normal I've ordered some chademo controllers. Design files and those all important JLC bom and cpl uploaded for those adventurous souls among you.

https://github.com/damienmaguire/Chadem ... r/Hardware
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Chademo controller boards in production.
Attachments
chademo.png
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:49 pm Chademo controller boards in production.
Good stuff. We live in exciting times when about monthly there is some new PCBs appearing and new solutions for repurposing something surfacing.. thumbs up!
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
PatrykS

Post by PatrykS »

xp677 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:16 pm Bit late to the party, but you can add as many CAN interfaces to the Atmel 328p as you have available CS pins.
Did that too - one CAN talked to CHAdeMO, the other to the BMSes / current sensor from Outlander. On first version I did it with one CAN - CHAdeMO stations didn't mind additional traffic :-) JD505 had few bugs - found when testing with different CHAdeMO stations.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

PatrykS wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:00 pm JD505 had few bugs - found when testing with different CHAdeMO stations.
Can we have some details please?
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Much more fun to find out the hard way.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:26 am Much more fun to find out the hard way.
Yeah, why would anyone want to share their test results and help the open source developers?
PatrykS

Post by PatrykS »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:28 pm
Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:26 am Much more fun to find out the hard way.
Yeah, why would anyone want to share their test results and help the open source developers?
I can imagine a few :-)

1. https://github.com/damienmaguire/Chadem ... o.cpp::177 - should be uncommented.
2. https://github.com/damienmaguire/Chadem ... p::307-311 - these lines should be executed only when received availVoltage, availCurrent and thresholdVoltage are different than 0, it's not a JLD505 bug, but at least Delta stations are sending zeros initially.
3. https://github.com/damienmaguire/Chadem ... o.cpp::281 - looks like solved, there was assignment of 0 to settings.minChargeAmperage instead of comparison, good practice is to put constant on the left to avoid such mistakes (0 == settings.minChargeAmperage).
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Chademo controller boards have arrived from JLCPCB:)
Attachments
2020-03-11 18.15.27.jpg
larsrengersen

Post by larsrengersen »

Very nice!
Is there a changelog compared to your starting point?
What improvements / changes have you implemented?
I am currently using the board from New Electric but migrating to yours might be a good idea (in the future).
Therefore I'd like to be able to assess whether it is a drop in replacement.
Then I might even consider wiring yours in in the first place to we can test from the same version.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »