Mainboard V3 FAQ

Isaac96

Re: Mainboard V3 FAQ

Post by Isaac96 »

The inverter kit uses an analog isolator and resistor divider to measure voltage. https://openinverter.org/wiki/Sense_Boards
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Isaac96 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:37 pm The inverter kit uses an analog isolator and resistor divider to measure voltage. https://openinverter.org/wiki/Sense_Boards
I only bought board itself, without any accesories. And it is written on wiki: "Udc (Pin 4) Bus voltage input. 0-3.3V, cutoff frequency 16Hz"
I might be wrong, but that board you mentioned has nothing to do with main board v3. It is part of rev2 inverter kit.
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

konstantin8818 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:42 pm I only bought board itself, without any accesories. And it is written on wiki: "Udc (Pin 4) Bus voltage input. 0-3.3V, cutoff frequency 16Hz"
I might be wrong, but that board you mentioned has nothing to do with main board v3. It is part of rev2 inverter kit.
Correct. I'm suggesting that you create a similar circuit for use with your Prius inverter. Isolation helps to avoid nasty 360vdc shocks.
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

Isaac96 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:37 pm 'm suggesting that you create a similar circuit for use with your Prius inverter. Isolation helps to avoid nasty 360vdc shocks.
It's all already done in the IPM!
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

In that case I might find myself looking for some...
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Yay! Board has arrived! It became 20 euros more expensive, but nothing we can do about that :roll:
DSC_0701.JPG
Need to find some relays and try to connect it to prius inverter.
damian.lo

Post by damian.lo »

I have question about high level errors which block inverter and warnings. Is any other possibility to cancel important errors than shut down power? For example - overcurrent or precharge? Now I need to shut down 12V to inverter, which occur wifi disconnection and then all I need to reconnect :) Is any other sequence to do this in different way?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

damian.lo wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:49 am I have question about high level errors which block inverter and warnings. Is any other possibility to cancel important errors than shut down power? For example - overcurrent or precharge? Now I need to shut down 12V to inverter, which occur wifi disconnection and then all I need to reconnect :) Is any other sequence to do this in different way?
Hm... in Rev2 you can just apply START pin again and you are reset. Beware though you MUST set at least "precharge on" so your inverter can at least discharge some of the power in case of OC event at high RPM. Maybe could be best to even keep the "DC contactor on" at all times.

A
damian.lo

Post by damian.lo »

Thanks Arber, but on mine v3 board it doesn't work like this in mine opinion. It blocks permanently and then I have to switch power down and go back.

Another strange thing for me (but maybe it should be like this):
when applying 12V source to inverter, also for 5 seconds is closing PRECHARGE. Even when I don't applying start button. Of course inverter opmode is OFF. It should be like this?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

damian.lo wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:51 pm Thanks Arber, but on mine v3 board it doesn't work like this in mine opinion. It blocks permanently and then I have to switch power down and go back.

Another strange thing for me (but maybe it should be like this):
when applying 12V source to inverter, also for 5 seconds is closing PRECHARGE. Even when I don't applying start button. Of course inverter opmode is OFF. It should be like this?
Yes... well that last is my fault. I asked Johannes to put it in as a precaution. If brain does not see enough voltage it might be a problem in sensing circuit, but it also might be a problem in burned precharge relay. In that case if you would be repeatedly trying to start inverter you could get DC contactor to close and FULL DC voltage would hit your main cap. This be bad!
That is why i insisted on having something in code to force you to go and verify voltage sensing and precharge.

In testing i modify UDC sensing gain and offset so that it would show some imaginary value like 100Vdc and then i would lower the "DCSW" value to make the controler turn on on-desk without main voltage. That way i can at least see resolver signal and try if all signals work with my car simulator setup. :twisted:
Attachments
IMG_20200321_182549.jpg
jerrykco

Post by jerrykco »

I am doing the same (on-desk car simulator). I found if I turn on the HV Manually through the pre-charge resister and then the contactor to bypass the pre-charge resister after 10 seconds, I never get PRECHARGE-STOP.

And one other on-Bench mystery has been solved, the Warn-LowResAmp. Rotate the motor and it doesn't come up either.
Jerry Kauffman
jerryk48 at gmail dot com
damian.lo

Post by damian.lo »

Ok, if it's normal for every firmware, let it stay. Better is to click precharge, than burn main relay.
For me only is strange - what I wrote last time to You - after precharge timeout I'm not able to push one time start and go to opmode=RUN. I need to take off 12V power and start one more time. Little problematic.
Question: better in emergency shut down main relay+12V to inverter or only main relay? Now I'm only ready to open relay but maybe in one thing I will open 2 circuits?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

damian.lo wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:42 am Question: better in emergency shut down main relay+12V to inverter or only main relay? Now I'm only ready to open relay but maybe in one thing I will open 2 circuits?
Well if you use ACIM motor this is not a problem. Just turn off MAIN CONTACTOR ON and keep PRECHARGE ON.
But for PMSM i am not sure, specially if you use field weakening to spin up motor like Leaf motor. I would use MAIN CONTACTOR ON and just use MPROT line or EMGCY line to disable PWM.
That way if your inverter throws a fault in the middle of a 130km/h downhill drive you will not end up with blown IGBTs and smoking main cap. Remember PMSM generate voltage on RPM no matter what happens with excitation.

I went and checked the error functionality. With ACIM brain i can always restart motor after fault. Even if at 130km/h downhill
With FOC code when fault happens brain is waiting to be reset. Is it something electrical or just software i do not know.
damian.lo

Post by damian.lo »

Thanks one more time for explanation :)

Maybe Johannes will have time to give clear info if after fault occur with FOC firmware is or isn't possible to push only start one more time and go on or should I shutdown power and start one more time. In this case maybe better will be "push button" on webscreen to cancel fault and go? Is it possible to do like this?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Restarting into a running motor doesn't always work. But even with FOC I have managed, at least when below field weakening.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
arber333

Post by arber333 »

johu wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:09 am Restarting into a running motor doesn't always work. But even with FOC I have managed, at least when below field weakening.
With ACIM and AB encoder i have allways managed to restart after a fault. No problem.
But i suspect the surge for FOC would be too much and you would get OC anyways.
But just for interest, there is a way to restart FOC. Since i use Olimex board for brain i just touch reset button and it restarts. You could add a reset pin on your board that would only be used for testing. That way you reset the unit and still keep the Wifi running.
damian.lo

Post by damian.lo »

Hello again
Today, when I almost finished waterproof cover for underbody battery, delayed start of inverter I tried to start motor like always and... strange because it welded both main relays!
What I checked:
- if 12V is NOT applied to inverter, signal low (means GND) goes instantly to out_PRE and out_DCSW all of the time
- if 12V is applied to inverter, signal low (GND) goes to out_PRE and after 5 seconds opens if HV doesn't reach udcsw
Because of this probably at full current both relays close and weld contacts, because I had GND and 12V on coils
So, now is my question - what can be wrong? Is somewhere in software parameter what to do with outputs if inverter is off?
Oh, and I forgot to add: my v3 board is on Leaf interface board inside inverter, latest firmware with FOC installed.
damian.lo

Post by damian.lo »

Ok, I solved this with small relay which is controlled by inverter supply, so if 12V is present at inverter power input, I have also enabled 12V to Pre/UDCSW high side.
Second - like Johannes and Arber suggest, witch emergency button I cut only direction line, but contactorst stays on, it's more safe for power stage.
Thanks guys for support.

One question from todays small trip: when I was braking with motor from small hill at 3th gear, my inverter stops. Probably because of overcurrent with regen (I had no time to look at errors at crossing). Solution for this is to decrease BRKMAX parameter or I have to do something else?
Kelju

Post by Kelju »

I have a couple of question about the Mainboard v3.4. Might be that the answers are floating around here somewhere, but here goes...

Why is the resolver excitation opamp supply of ~9V made from 5V (VCC) with a boost converter. Why not use a linear reg. from the 12V battery?

Why is the motor temp sensor input circuit supplied from the 5V DCDC converter, when the AD-converter anyway saturates above the VCCIO?
The 3V3 (VCCIO) is done with a linear regulator, so the noise quality of this supply would be better for this kind of analog input signal as long as the processor supply noise is properly filtered.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Resolver: I wanted to maintain the boards broad input voltage range of 7-26V.

Temp sensor: 5V is available on the entire board via the bottom copper fill. I'm also trying to not distribute 3V3 too much for less noise pickup, The resistor divider is designed in a way to stay below 3V3. The motor temp signal is low pass filtered and digitally filtered so noise isn't really an issue.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
nuffz

Post by nuffz »

does any one have a video of this board working or its operation ?
Renegate2020

Post by Renegate2020 »

Tell me if the PWR LED glows a little normally when the power to the motherboard is turned off. The GND line consumes 0.2-0.3A
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

No energy, no glow. Somehow you are supplying current to the board, probably through one of the IO pins. It will flow to the 3V3 line via free wheeling or ESD diodes.
Renegate2020

Post by Renegate2020 »

Died ULN2003?
prensel

Post by prensel »

I'm (patiently) awaiting for the v3 board to arrive and in the meantime read as much as possible about it.
One thing i cant find is how to connect the IGBT drivers.
Looking at the wiki pages it only shows the older v2 board with seperate gate driver boards.
Are this included into the new v3 board as well ?
My IGBT drivers (Skyper32) take -7V/+15V input as per the v2 gate driver/slave boards. Do I need something like these slave boards as well with the v3 board ?
= Th!nk PIV4 Collection, support, sales =