Bryson

Re: Gen 2 Charger V5 Software Development Thread

Post by Bryson »

Thank you much!
‘70 jag XJ6, GS450h drivetrain, 102s Tesla pack
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Great! I’ll give it a shot later tonight.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
Bryson

Post by Bryson »

Good news and not so good news:

Good: Saving to EEPROM is working now!

Not so good: It looks like WiFi commands may be sending to the wrong serial output. Here are a couple serial logs from the USB connector, and a shot of my WiFi. In this case the board is powered up from USB and not from an external 12V source, nothing else connected other than the USB cable.

Bryson

Post by Bryson »

Also, I can't set 7 - AC Current Limit to anything above 43A. I'm running a 48A EVSE and 48A Tesla charger on a 50A mains circuit and would like to give it the full 48
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

WiFi data is only sent during charging. I'll check out the current limit.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Just to be clear I personally tested the listed functions in the E39 before publishing the binaries.
Bryson

Post by Bryson »

Thank you. It looks like it overflows at 44A: 44A -> 0A, 45 -> 1A, 46 -> 2A, 47 -> 3A,...

Is it intentional that the WiFi data is also being transmitted over the USB serial? That’s what I’m assuming I’m seeing with “va000,vb000...”? If it’s sending zeros already, why not show zeros when not charging instead of 900s?

It also clutters the serial display to have it sent to USB serial, probably better to not transmit it there.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I have updated the binary on Github to remove the wifi data from the serial monitor. Yes it was placed there on purpose to allow me verify the wifi was representing the correct data. I accept the point about display clutter for normal users hence the updated binary.

Folks, I gave every opportunity for people to get involved with the software. Heck I pleaded. But at the end of the day it needed doing so I went out and employed someone to do the work. Due to that fact I am not at this time releasing the sources for free. So if anyone doesnt like the way the software works there are 3 options :

1)code your own using the base version that is freely available on Github. (free)
2)support me on patreon to obtain the source. ($100)
3)wait for the source to be released. (free)

If I do find any bugs and / or make updates then the binary on github will be updated.(free)
Bryson

Post by Bryson »

Thank you again, I hope this isn’t being taken as an offense.

Happy to contribute a chunk to patreon, but would prefer an option for a one-time contribution, which I didn’t see as an option. I can’t speak for others, but they may be in similar boats, particularly due to the state of the economy (not your problem, I know).

In any case, thank you again
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Bryson wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:36 pm Happy to contribute a chunk to patreon, but would prefer an option for a one-time contribution, which I didn’t see as an option.
Just sign up for the $100 tier on patreon and then cancel after a month if you don't think the software is worth more. You may not realise that the noise you generate with these questions is amplified 100 fold by others. I can guarantee that we will lose access to Damien if we don't get smarter about how we 'use' him.
Bryson wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:36 pm particularly due to the state of the economy (not your problem, I know).
We have cancelled six courses this year which has a profound impact on Damien's income. Please think before you moan about the cost of access to the source code.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Bryson

Post by Bryson »

Oof, apologies. We’re all in this together.
Bassmobile

Post by Bassmobile »

Say, we need one of those Children's Miracle Network style commercials for Damien.
For just $3.33 a day you too can support a struggling Open Source developer in a foreign country..
But seriously. $100 / month is a steal for what Damien is contributing to this community and the world. We need more blokes to pony up and put down the cash to support all of his awesome work.
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Following this process makes programming the chip a piece of cake (Thanks Jon). The .hex file taken from Damien's Github (Thanks Damien).

Quick vid of me doing just that:

Although it was correctly highlighted here that I'm testing with a crappy piece of 13 amp cable, initial tests are positive and the charger is now drawing AC current for about 10 seconds before shutting down for undervoltage (due to said test cable). I'll continue with AC and EVSE integration into the car and report back accordingly.
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

if you go into the menu and select ac current limit at 2 or 3 amps it might keep running.
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:06 pm if you go into the menu and select ac current limit at 2 or 3 amps it might keep running.
Yep, it’s working a treat. 8-)
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Excellent:)
EV-OLUTION

Post by EV-OLUTION »

Hi. Just registered for this forum as I got some questions related to Gen 2 with V5 controller. Hope someone can give advice on that. I have just bought Gen 2 Tesla onboard charger and going to install it on my LEAF(2011) as a secondary onboard charger. The questions are following:

Do I need contactors on HV side after Tesla charger? So they would disconnect charger from HV side while vehicle is in Drive mode and only would connect when charging is activated. Or can I leave it connected permanently?
I watched Damiens videos of him playing with Gen2 charger, and he mentions that AC side connection must be done at particular timing. Does this still apply to V5? In main code I can see this comment about AC contactor control: "This mode also control HVDC via digital out 1 and AC mains via a contactor via Digital out 2.-Working". But in V5 diagram I can't see any outputs with labels Digital Out 1 or Out 2.
I am thinking of controlling charger either by wire activation, or CAN control as it will be working in a slave mode. Where can I find more data of how to control it by sending particular CAN messages? I could only find the following information: 0x42C, 0x43C and 0x44 for setting current and 0x45C for setting voltage. But I guess this is not what I should send to STM32. I guess these messages are sent by STM32 to Tesla charger modules. I will try to have a look at the code later and see if I can figure it out myself. But any kind of info related to control by CAN will be much appreciated.

I will also try to put all V5 code to Arduino IDE. I successfully done this with other STM32 based projects, hopefully this won't be much more complicated. This makes it easier for people who are already familiar with Arduino programming like myself.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Just use the new firmware :
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1323
EV-OLUTION

Post by EV-OLUTION »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:29 am Just use the new firmware :
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1323
Thanks Jack (Damien?)! I didn't realized there is a commercial firmware and wiki related to it. By reading wiki info I got all answers to my questions :) Probably I haven't done enough research, ups... So now I have to finish and try my setup with demo firmware, and I will go for commercial firmware as I really like the idea of controlling it by CAN.