Prius Gen 3 Inverter Logic Board Support Thread

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Jack Bauer

Prius Gen 3 Inverter Logic Board Support Thread

Post by Jack Bauer »

Setting up a support thread for the Gen 3 Prius inverter logic board.
Both full kits and partial boards available from the EVBMW webshop :
https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-webshop

Wiki: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_Gen3_Board

johu: I'm closing this support thread as it has become too long to be useful. Please describe new issues in a new thread with a descriptive title (I NEED HELP is not descriptive!). Do not put unrelated issues into existing threads that describe a different topic.

Design files on Github :
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Prius-Gen3-Inverter

Uses the standard openinverter firmware for motor control :
https://github.com/jsphuebner/stm32-sine/releases

UPDATE 24/09/20 Firmware now available to run the buck/boost module as an AC onboard charger:
https://github.com/celeron55/prius3charger_buck

UPDATE 15/05/20 : New V1c Kit now available in the webshop.
Video build / installation manual part 1 now available :

Video Timestamps :
Timestamps:
0:00 - Intro
4:00 - Purchasing Choice/Considerations
8:41 - SMT Assembly/Soldering
31:23 - Throughhole Assembly/Soldering
44:05 - Powerup Voltage Checks
46:14 - Software Installation/ST-Link/Wifi Install
49:00 - Inverter External Disassembly
1:03:58 - Damien Uses a Prybar
1:10:25 - Damien Singing to his Inverter
1:13:10 - Topless/Internal Disassembly
1:20:00 - Out With The Old/In With The New
1:27:25 - In The Next Episode

Update : 01/09/20 : Programming guide video is now live :

WiFi password is either "inverter123" or will be left open.

Video in Russian on connecting the board :
Attachments
2020-01-18 12.08.58.jpg
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Aquinax

Re: Prius Gen 3 Inverter Logic Board Support Thread

Post by Aquinax »

Hi! I need support stacked even before order

clicking on "CONTINUE" does no effect...

am I dumb?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Aquinax wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:08 am clicking on "CONTINUE" does no effect...

am I dumb?
I just tried entering an order in the EVBMW webshop and it worked fine :?

My guess is the webshop can't continue because of issues with Russian credit cards. Try putting in a non-russian address as an experiment and see if you can continue. Then you'll have something tangible to report to Damien :)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Aquinax

Post by Aquinax »

nope, that's has no worked. With replace to a luxembourg address or any other parameters...
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Due to European data protection requirements the webshop does not support the creation of accounts or the storage of personal data on the server. Just use guest checkout.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Well, I'm kind of stuck on my Gen2 board. I don't know what the problem is and I can't figure out what to do or ask to make it work. Also, it looks like the through-hole/Blue Pill boards on the Gen2 aren't really going to see future development with how cheap the new SMD boards will be (no cheaper to build it yourself). Gen2 also doesn't have battery charger circuits, which'll still need to be built. So, I'm invested $325 into the Gen2, but, maybe time to cut my losses and pursue a Gen3 inverter setup instead. And that's fine, I rushed into it and it was clear it was not a product, it was a work in progress.

Regardless of which direction I go, I'm out of ways to work on my own project so I figured I'd try helping out here.

I seeded the Gen3 wiki page with some introductory information so it can be used as a landing page for the project: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_Gen3_Board

In my opinion, Forums are great places to have a discussion, but a terrible place to archive, present, or find information. So ideally as things are discovered here, they should be added to the Wiki, not have people expected to read through all the pages or search for a question.

Going through a similar experience from when I tried out the Gen2 board, some questions, not sure if now is the correct time to ask:

1 - When you order the partially populated boards, which components do you need to buy and add for yourself?

2 - When you order the fully populated and tested boards, which components do you need to buy and add yourself? Any?

3 - For fully-populated and tested boards, is there anything else you need to do other than hook it up and start using it? What goes where?

4 - For partially-populated boards, what do you need to program and how do you do that (as compared to the Gen2, no need to reinvent the documentation wheel)?
Alexstarex

Post by Alexstarex »

It's funny
Are you a developer of these boards?
And why post information on the Wiki.
Give the creators the right to decide what to do.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:22 am Well, I'm kind of stuck on my Gen2 board. I don't know what the problem is and I can't figure out what to do or ask to make it work.
I wouldnt advise to give up on Gen2 just yet. Gen3 will have its own quirks and specialities. And you will invest more $$$ without moving your car. I remember when i couldnt make the power stage for less than 800€! When IGBT blew it was quite a misfortune...
I think what we need is to adapt the famous Rev2 board interface (which has everything others have) to Prius gen2. Also it is very defined and tested. Can protocol, resolver interface, error logging, Wifi interface.
I made some more compact version from 0805 SMD components which are still quite easy to place. Markings are visible enough etc...
If it would help you, i can quickly draw rev2 board with resolver interface to drive your Gen2. I have a template...
Then you can find some PCB smelting company to make a minimum boards and have some spares.
The only downside is i wouldnt be able to test it since i dont have the inverter myself. And i dont like it when i publish something i didnt use myself :).

What do you think?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

All very good questions Matt. Guess what though? I'm not answering them. The design is on Github including the boms, layouts and design files.I use a completely free pcb cad package. The boards are on my shop for sale. Someone else can take the time and effort. I don't have much of either left in me.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Alexstarex wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:42 am It's funny
Are you a developer of these boards?
And why post information on the Wiki.
Give the creators the right to decide what to do.
Hi Alex. Non-developers are explicitely encouraged to write up things in the wiki. Simple reason being that developers take too much for granted and don't write it up
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
MattsAwesomeStuff

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:43 amAll very good questions Matt. Guess what though? I'm not answering them. [...] Someone else can take the time and effort. I don't have much of either left in me.
Not sure if you're upset with me, but, we're on the same page. In the past a few people said I should just contact you directly to get answers, and I said: "I could have pestered Damien, but, he has done enough work designing the circuit and the boards, so I hoped to lean on the community and delegate some of that nuisance work (in the same way that I hope I can provide value to the community by doing an even lower level of nuisance work that's within my ability)."

I completely agree with you, and even wrote a little bit ( viewtopic.php?p=4430#p4430 ) about my philosophy on open source and how it helps everyone if the community steps up to help support the work you're doing rather than waiting for you to do it all. And how I would be happy to do it, but I lack the intermediate knowledge, so the next best thing I can do is help do the unskilled work and document the things that I can find and that I do have available, and try to organize people's efforts a bit.

I'm filling in the wiki and asking these questions because I know they take sometimes weeks to answer and eventually someone else will ask them, and I can't help any other way. This is my way of pitching in.
GaryClarke

Post by GaryClarke »

i think it's worth reproducing here Matt's concept of the contribution hierachy.
That's the essence of open source. In my (limited) experience:

- Top tier of contributors are those that can solve the problem well. Their skills are rarest. If they feel like it, their efforts are best put towards solving the problem. This is hard work, where you have to juggle a vision of the whole project in your head at a time. In our community, these leaders are mostly Johannes and Damien.
- 2nd tier of contributors are those that could solve the problem, but due to inexperience might not pick the best solutions. They can understand everything the top tier did though. So if they're not assisting the top tier with fringe tasks, they're good to start off the essential documentation. This is most of the rest of the community here.
- 3rd tier of contributors could not solve the problem, but can at least partly understand what's going on. Since they couldn't contribute any other way, they should be used to troubleshoot, idiotproof, and flesh out the documentation. I might be somewhere between here and the next tier.
- 4th tier of contributors can't even understand what's going on but are grateful to have a solution they can follow. This is the majority of the people who'll use it. They help just by demonstrating that the solution is useful by using it, and popularize it by talking about it, helping justify the hard work everyone else put in (if their goal was for it to benefit as many people as possible). They're probably not even here, they'll show up after a little more polish.

... Now if the top tier of contributors end up having to do all facets of project, they'll only get 25% as much done. And, there's nothing the lower tiers can contribute because they need the work ahead of them to be done before they can contribute. So unless it's fun for them to do everything, the community should really support the leaders as much as possible. That's why I don't want to go pestering Damien or you (Johannes) about little details that almost anyone else could answer. From what I understand (because he's vlogged about it), that's exactly why Damien links here to this community, because he's too busy spending the time he chooses to on these projects by actually solving problems to be anyone's tech support or troubleshooting. There are lots of other people benefiting from the work he's doing, it would be nice if they (we) all do a little to step up and do that for him.
Also I'll throw in this about how to keep our emotions out of the way we communicate and receive feedback.
https://themindsjournal.com/understandi ... -triangle/
arber333

Post by arber333 »

GaryClarke wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:34 am Also I'll throw in this about how to keep our emotions out of the way we communicate and receive feedback.
Haha! Good one. I will keep that in mind...

Now seriously, lets get back to design.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

I've added the inverter part number that Damien posted on DIYElectriccar to the Wiki. If other's could add their part numbers as these boards get out there, that'll help confidence it'll fit in.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Eflyers

Post by Eflyers »

It looks like some Camry (US model) hybrid inverter logic boards have a similar(the same?) receptacle as the Prius Gen 3 LB for the plug going to the IGBT driver board, and are similar in size. Has anyone tried or know if the replacement logic board would fit in the Camry inverter?
Eflyers

Post by Eflyers »

In looking through Damian's posts and information, I could not tell if the new replacement Gen 3 logic board operates the boost/buck converter in the inverter. If not, are there plans to include it?
Thatguyoverthere

Post by Thatguyoverthere »

Eflyers wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:36 pm In looking through Damian's posts and information, I could not tell if the new replacement Gen 3 logic board operates the boost/buck converter in the inverter. If not, are there plans to include it?
Hardware to run it is on the board, but no software is written to run it yet. Read closer
https://github.com/kaelinwilson
Leaf Motor/Gen1 Camry Inverter
Eflyers

Post by Eflyers »

Thatguyoverthere wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:32 am
Eflyers wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:36 pm In looking through Damian's posts and information, I could not tell if the new replacement Gen 3 logic board operates the boost/buck converter in the inverter. If not, are there plans to include it?
Hardware to run it is on the board, but no software is written to run it yet. Read closer
Trust me, I have been reading "closer" And, it is somewhat confusing in the board's description: "Runs the MG2 power stage as an inverter and MG1 power stage for optional AC battery charging via the boost converter". Part of my confusion, also, is Damian not hooking-up the converter IGBT drives(as far as I can tell)during his demo of the new board. This would be explained(I guess) by the as of yet lack of software to drive the converter IGBTs, and Damian just bypassing the converter, for now??

You know, the quicker the EE and software types involved with this project get off their asses and get this potentially very useful piece of equipment into general use, the fewer stupid questions from none EE and software types, like me, will need to be answered. Damian and others have obviously put a lot of time and effort into this. There seems to be some burnout and some passing of the torch here. Other people, with the skills, need to step up and finish this project. In my decades I've seen far too many projects like this turn into interesting, but ultimately not very useful endeavors, and just die on the vine. Let's hope this is not one of them.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Eflyers wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:48 am You know, the quicker the EE and software types involved with this project get off their asses and get this potentially very useful piece of equipment into general use, the fewer stupid questions from none EE and software types, like me, will need to be answered. Damian and others have obviously put a lot of time and effort into this. There seems to be some burnout and some passing of the torch here. Other people, with the skills, need to step up and finish this project. In my decades I've seen far too many projects like this turn into interesting, but ultimately not very useful endeavors, and just die on the vine. Let's hope this is not one of them.
I agree with a lot of the sentiments but please understand we are working hard behind the scenes to make this more end user friendly. My personal strategy is to train 100+ people a year in the hope that we can create a knowledgable pool of talent. If you want to help make this a successful and sustainable project then please feel free to contact me via PM or start another thread so we don't take this OT. Many thanks :)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Nanster

Gen 3 inverter in gen 2 car?

Post by Nanster »

Can I buy a gen 2 Prius and use a gen 3 inverter with Damien's logic board. Obviously using a gen three car would be better and simpler but they still command decent money.
So gen 2 car and motor+ gen 3 inverter + Damien's board+ battery from wrecked ev = Prius ev.
MattsAwesomeStuff

So gen 2 car and motor+ gen 3 inverter + Damien's board+ battery from wrecked ev = Prius ev.
I don't think I understand what you're asking.

Do you want to restore and drive a Prius (perhaps with a larger battery pack and no engine), or do you want to use the Motor+Transaxle of a Prius in a conversion of a different car, and then use the inverter to drive it?

If the former, I'm not sure what your goal is.

If the latter, then just buy the Gen 2 car.

There should be no problems driving a Gen2 transaxle with a Gen3 inverter. The motor is blind to what's controlling it. It just sees juice.

Damien has on his "to do" list, a new Gen 2 control board. If you are in a big rush, a Gen 3 control board and inverter is available for purchase right now. So if you get your Gen2 transaxle all ready in your donor vehicle and want to drive it and there's still no Gen2 control board available? Buy a Gen3 inverter and the Gen3 board and drive the Gen2 transaxle with it.

Alternatively, you could purchase a Gen2 BluePill board and build one yourself, but I think the BluePill experiment has mostly had its plug pulled because it's so much better to get the new boards directly and fully featured.
RE3Rotor

Post by RE3Rotor »

I think he meant to convert the (gen 2) Prius to a full plug-in EV with a Gen 3 inverter + Damiens board.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

What's the latest with the fully populated boards?
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Gen 3 inverter running a Siemens 1pv5135 induction motor.
Attachments
2020-04-07 13.41.24.jpg
2020-04-07 13.41.19.jpg
2020-04-07 13.41.30.jpg
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:32 pm Gen 3 inverter running a Siemens 1pv5135 induction motor.
Awesome :) Looking at this combo too instead of the leaf motor.

Edit: What is plotted there aside from time on the X axis?

-Matt