EVBMW Product Support Explanation Video

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Jack Bauer

EVBMW Product Support Explanation Video

Post by Jack Bauer »

Here is a video detailing exactly how support works for logic boards from the evbmw webshop. I would encourage anyone considering a purchase to please view this video and ensure you are comfortable and familiar with the support structure around these products.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Kevin Sharpe

Re: EVBMW Product Support Explanation Video

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Well done Damien, a very significant step forward for the open source community :D
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:58 pm Well done Damien, a very significant step forward for the open source community :D
Sorry but how is this a step forward? It is merely Damien having to again clarify something he has, written in threads and mentioned in various videos.

Unfortunately he is forced to do this due to the fact certain customers do not read the product description of what they are purchasing and do not understand the required skill set (even just using google is a skll) to get an open sourced product to work.

I am all for supporting opensource projects, but usually the individuals behind the projects get pulled down/bogged down by the people who just want something on the cheap but not have the skills themselves to do it.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
doobedoobedo

Post by doobedoobedo »

tom91 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:08 pm I am all for supporting opensource projects, but usually the individuals behind the projects get pulled down/bogged down by the people who just want something on the cheap but not have the skills themselves to do it.
I think the video clarifies Damian's position and hopefully frees him from having to fend off those people (at least as much as possible), so he can concentrate on the projects where he's using his own time to benefit us all.
GaryClarke

Post by GaryClarke »

I am all for supporting opensource projects, but usually the individuals behind the projects get pulled down/bogged down by the people who just want something on the cheap but not have the skills themselves to do it.
One among many of the things I admire about Damian, Johannes and Kevin is not just their generosity their with hard-won knowledge, but the humility with which they demonstrate their mastery. It's a model of how to be, not only pioneering engineers and community leaders, but exceptional human beings.

It is a privilege to follow their journey of discovery and invention. I doubt I will ever stand on their shoulders to expand the sum of community knowledge, but I hope to honour their work by following in their footsteps.

Good on you all.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

I'll repost my comment from Youtube:

"A short little video" ... 18 minutes later :p. Problem is, the people who are too lazy to read through a forum thread and just start pinging every person named Damien that they can find on TikTok hoping to find you... are not going to sit through an informative 18 minute video telling them how to get their question answered instead.

This should be a 3 minute video, because at least 3 minutes has f'in' hope of being read by the type of people causing the problem. And STILL, you are not going to avoid that problem, but at least when someone messages you, you can reply exclusively with a sarcastic link to the video. Plus it is smarmy and will make you feel better about your time being wasted.

Something like:

"If you've been sent this link, it's because you were among the many people who cannot follow directions on how to get support. You should be embarrassed for yourself. To summarize for those with short attention spans:

1 - If you purchased a board from me and the hardware itself was delivered faulty, contact me here and I may fix or replace your hardware. Don't try to be sneaky about "maybe it was a hardware problem". If you contact me for any other support-related reason I am just going to link you back to this video and we'll waste each other's time.

2 - I do not offer direct support for the items on my webshop. Do not buy them expecting that. If you want to have a number you can call and have someone help make this product work in our vehicle, or get an answer immediately, you can instead pay one of the other many companies that use my products and sell that service. I recommend for example, Zero-EV (link). The lack of one-on-one support is included in the massive discount you get for these products by buying through my webshop.

3 - If you purchased a board from me and you can't figure out how to use it or the software or get it working in your vehicle, every product has a support thread on the OpenInverter forums where you can ask the community for assistance and maybe find the answer you are looking for. The first post in the thread is updated to act as a summary for popular issues and questions. Threads are often multiple pages long, use the search function to save yourself time. Be kind and patient and treat the community with respect, you are not entitled to anyone's help.

4 - All the data for these products, the BOM, the schematic, the PCB, etc, can be found on the Webshop item's page.

5 - There are no "just quick questions", and if there are, you can find or ask them on the support threads. Do not try to track me down to ask me directly.

6 - If you try to contact me some different way because you want me to help you solve your problem, I am definitely just going to link you back to this video, or ignore you. If I've sent you this link more than once, you should be ashamed of yourself.

... I dunno, maybe even that is too long.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

How about just silkscreen the pcb with:

For support: go to openinverter.org and search.
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Not that anyone will bother reading this but can the people emailing and pming me every five minutes as to the location of the board they ordered a few days ago please stop. I'm only one person. With a lot of tasks. Much as I would love to engage with everyone and keep everyone updated at every instance I just can't. Don't like that? THEN DON'T ORDER FROM ME!

ALL ITEMS ARE SENT REGISTERED POST WITH TRACKING AS SOON AS IS POSSIBLE.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I really am getting very F*&king tired of this...
slow67

Post by slow67 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:54 am I really am getting very F*&king tired of this...
I wonder why people do this? It clearly states 1-3 weeks on your website. Maybe make the text bigger, bolder, and red?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

slow67 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:25 pm I wonder why people do this? It clearly states 1-3 weeks on your website. Maybe make the text bigger, bolder, and red?
Because:

If you open a shop you'll be dealing with random people. From people who admire you work and would kneel down to get a product from you down to hardcore capitalists thinking "I am the mighty customer, I'm god".

Thats the way it is. No matter what we do we will have to deal with the latter sometimes. So far I had to turn down one customer because he got too obnoxious. Got his money refunded and never received a product.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:52 amNot that anyone will bother reading this
I mean, people will read it. Just not the people you want to read it.

A cousin of mine was dating a girl for 5 years and the family nagging about marriage came up. I told him to tell them "Every nag I hear, adds another year."

I think this would be a good approach to customer service.

Before confirming order, have a special page getting people to choose. First: "I am a volunteer who designs these boards in my spare time. I make very little money on these so that they are affordable to everyone. I send them out when I have time between engineering, building, and my personal life. It takes 1-3 weeks before I will ship a package. If you try to contact me and nag me about when I'm sending it before 3 weeks, your package goes to the bottom of the priority list and everyone who didn't nag gets to jump ahead of you in line. Consider yourself warned."

Then, the choice:

"Selection your option:"
1 - "I would like to wait patiently and respectfully for my item: $500."
2 - "I would like to email and nag, act entitled or ignorantly: $1000."

And then, when everyone chooses Option #1, and they email you anyways, you can just send out a boilerplate "You saved $500 by waiting patiently. If you'd like me to actually respond to this email, please cancel your purchase and choose the second option."

It's facetious, but it might make you feel better. :P
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:54 am I really am getting very F*&king tired of this...
You're not the only one, I'm one of the directors of Bristol Hackspace and we get exactly this response when new members are signing up and expect the sort of service that AmazonPrime gives them rather than that of a voluntary group only I suspect you have it far harder. I like MattsAwesomeStuffs idea of a large disclaimer, maybe also add a week to the minimum delivery time to quench high expectations and give you some breathing space.

Under similar exasperation from nagging idiots we have included the following statement to our sign up process.
Please note that as Bristol Hackspace is 100% volunteer run, new memberships are usually processed once a week, and that your membership can only be processed after your first standing order payment has cleared.
You can't fix stupid.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Thanks for the support guys and sorry for ranting:)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

So just to make the point that if people are sitting back waiting on me to do something instead of having a go themselves then you could be in for a long wait.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:49 pm So just to make the point that if people are sitting back waiting on me to do something instead of having a go themselves then you could be in for a long wait.
It's open source... I thought that meant you do everything (for free) ;)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Sales of built and tested Tesla boards are suspended as of 15/04/20. All orders placed will be fulfilled. I am doing this in order to concentrate on new developments (model 3 etc) and focus on Toyota/Lexus in order to enable lower cost conversions. The oportunity is now there for someone to fill this gap. I would hope that if someone does step up it is done so in a way that respects the opensource philosophy and the work put in by Johannes and myself.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:56 am Sales of built and tested Tesla boards are suspended as of 15/04/20. All orders placed will be fulfilled. I am doing this in order to concentrate on new developments (model 3 etc) and focus on Toyota/Lexus in order to enable lower cost conversions. The oportunity is now there for someone to fill this gap. I would hope that if someone does step up it is done so in a way that respects the opensource philosophy and the work put in by Johannes and myself.
I think this is very wise and I thank you and Johannes for everything that you have done to build an opensource Tesla solution :D
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Thanks for the info, I have the Gen 2 bits here now and going through BOM. If I can assist (from Tier 4 level), I am happy to be of assistance.
tmotion

Post by tmotion »

Understandable. But sorry to hear. I prefer welding over soldering ;-)

Partially build board will still be available? Or are these scheduled to be cancelled as well?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Partial boards will be available until stock runs out. After that it's all yours:)
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

So I have decided to take over the Tesla SDU/LDU board distribution, you will see them appear in the shop soon. They will run as "kits" i.e. some parts will be left for people to solder. This keeps me out of the WEEE (electronic waste) world.
Like the Nissan kit I will offer community and personally supported versions.

I will not take over the charger boards as I know too little about them
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
joromy

Post by joromy »

johu wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:35 am So I have decided to take over the Tesla SDU/LDU board distribution
Fantastic, just what I hoped for :D

I would like to continue with the charger boards, maybe I could sell it in your shop, like the Ranger inverter?
Have just invested in a USD 10k pick and place machine.
Thomas A. Edison “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I will be continuing with the Gen 2 / 3 charger controllers while Johannes takes over the drive unit boards but by all means feel free to make and distribute.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

joromy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:03 am I would like to continue with the charger boards, maybe I could sell it in your shop, like the Ranger inverter?
Yes we could do that.
joromy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:03 am Have just invested in a USD 10k pick and place machine.
you're crazy 8-)