ICE Breaker - 1967 VW Splitscreen Bus with Tesla Drivetrain/Battery

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Kevin Sharpe

ICE Breaker - 1967 VW Splitscreen Bus with Tesla Drivetrain/Battery

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Just a few photos of the "ICE Breaker" project with lots more details to follow... for historical posts please see my DIY Electric Car Forum thread (here) 8-)

IMG_9055.jpeg
IMG_8873.jpeg
IMG_2151.jpg
IMG_9998_rotated.jpeg
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
johu
Site Admin

Re: ICE Breaker - 1967 VW Splitscreen Bus with Tesla Drivetrain/Battery

Post by johu »

Clean Conversion² (as in clean code x no emission) haha.

I might have missed it in the historical thread but are you using that Type 2 DC fast charge port? Where did you get the socket from?

I consider using Type 2 instead of Chademo in the Touran because it seems to be more common in Germany.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
D@F

Post by D@F »

johu wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:13 pm
I might have missed it in the historical thread but are you using that Type 2 DC fast charge port? Where did you get the socket from?

I consider using Type 2 instead of Chademo in the Touran because it seems to be more common in Germany.
yes same question for me and same consideration for my golf....
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

johu wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:13 pmI might have missed it in the historical thread but are you using that Type 2 DC fast charge port?
Today we are using the Type 2 AC pins for 22kW three phase. Our long term goal is to use the Type 2 DC pins and I'm making some progress on finding a vendor for the HomePlug Green PHY that's required. Ideally I'd like to see the PHY added to Damien's Tesla charger board in a future release 8-)
johu wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:13 pmWhere did you get the socket from?
We purchased some from a vendor in China. I believe that Zero EV in the UK (here) will sell them in future, I'll ask Chris to comment here.
johu wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:13 pmI consider using Type 2 instead of Chademo in the Touran because it seems to be more common in Germany.
Both Damien and I plan to use the Tesla CHAdeMO adaptor (see photo) which will allow our cars to charge from AC (single/three phase to 22kW), CCS DC, and CHAdeMO DC :)

chademo-adaptor.jpg
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

loading 8 Tesla P100 modules (50kWh) into the 'belly' of the bus today :D
e81f8ba5-c063-4fee-8490-90cb47cff387.jpg
7e537522-b0b2-408f-bce4-6897a563ea1f.jpg
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Now thats a tight space for those batteries, specially having seen it first hand.

Good thing you will be reusing the Tesla BMS thus not requiring alot of wires.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

tom91 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:16 pm Now thats a tight space for those batteries, specially having seen it first hand.

Good thing you will be reusing the Tesla BMS thus not requiring alot of wires.
Yeah, it's cosy in the 'belly' battery box :D
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Another 4 Tesla P100 modules (25kWh) in the rear of the bus :D
fc4d5410-3bf9-4416-8ec0-c8e511af16a3.jpg
44adaba7-94bb-4d81-92d1-e72c9e813681.jpg
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Amazing what you can test with a €50 Toyota Prius battery :D

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

I recently purchased a new BMW i3 covering cap for the CCS charge port connector that I have fitted on the bus. The part number is 61 13 9 343 122 and it cost €36 from a BMW dealer :)

BMW also sell the caps without the CCS DC part if you're just fitting a Type 1 ("J1772") or Type 2 ("mennekes") connector and need some extra weather proofing. I don't currently have the part number for those versions.

I'll get some photos taken when I get a moment but for now here are some library pictures.
Screenshot 2019-10-05 at 20.55.05.png
Screenshot 2019-10-05 at 20.55.18.png
Screenshot 2019-10-05 at 20.55.31.png
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Simple pleasures... an automatic light for the charge port :)
IMG_20191108_144733.jpg
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Nice :) Was there an existing switch you could use or how do you trigger it?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Quick question:

Will it stay on once charging commences? And be an extra 12V drain, or you have some switching logic?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

johu wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:55 pm Nice :) Was there an existing switch you could use or how do you trigger it?
No switch in the bus so installed a proximity sensor to detect the fuel flap open/closed :)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

tom91 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:39 pm Quick question:

Will it stay on once charging commences? And be an extra 12V drain, or you have some switching logic?
I'll build in some logic to turn it off once charging starts. I also have an RGB LED for charging status indication. Hopefully the Tesla CCS controller will take care of this for me 8-)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

I decided to reuse the Tesla Model 3 charge port thermistors in my CCS connector. I haven't attached them directly to the DC power pins as per the Tesla connector but went for an easy option of using existing screws located in both the AC and DC pin area.

Hopefully they will give me a rough indication of the connector temperature during charging and also provide compatibility with the Tesla CCS controller (here) :)
IMG_20191115_171255.jpg
IMG_20191115_171236.jpg
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

We have some new toys... 1000A IVT-S 'shunts' (data here) :)
IMG_20200107_184842.jpg
tom91

Post by tom91 »

They are really nice, incooperated them into the SimpBMS already.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Great project!

Could you help by sharing some details,

Between chassis rails on the belly, is it still stock width/chassis rails?
How about weight of the bus?
Consumption?

-58 ;)
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

JaniK wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:35 pm Between chassis rails on the belly, is it still stock width/chassis rails?
No changes needed to the chassis rails. We didn't want to cut the floor of the bus and therefore allowed the belly box to protrude 25mm below the chassis rails to give us some extra height for battery modules. In reality this has not been a problem even though I've lowered the bus from stock ride height.
JaniK wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:35 pm How about weight of the bus?
I'm currently plumbing the cooling system in the belly box. Once that's complete I'll reinstall the battery in the bus and put it on the scales.
JaniK wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:35 pm Consumption?
No idea today. We're still driving with the Prius pack :)
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Thanks for the answers!

Still prius energy :)

Your project is huge inspiration to me.
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

JaniK wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:48 pm Your project is huge inspiration to me.
Thanks, it will be at Fully Charged Live in May if you want to see it (and meet Damien and Johannes) :D

If I was starting today I would try and find an automotive engineer who could develop a high performance chassis that would accommodate the entire Model 3 pack and motor. Failing that I would use four of the 'short' Model 3 battery modules in a belly box. Unfortunately, both options would require extensive chassis modifications and make it difficult to get it approved for the road in Ireland.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Thanks for the invite!
Kevin Sharpe wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:40 pm ...
Unfortunately, both options would require extensive chassis modifications and make it difficult to get it approved for the road in Ireland.
GETTING A LITTLE OFF TOPIC, SORRY:

Same goes here in Finland, follow the rules if you want to legally drive on the road.. There are changes on the way for changing motor, currently only +20% power is allowed, new law would add power to weight option for low powered cars, for VW Type2 it would allow up to 12kg/kw motor to be changed and approved in normal MOT office. (So a 1200kg car could have max. 100kw, that maybe also the upper limit but the law is not complete yet)

- there is kind of individual car acceptance option, but that is a lot of paperwork, calculations, planning, applications and it is basicly ment for making a work vehicle, so you will be asked: Why you NEED this??

I also think starting today the model3 battery is propably worth it if it fits, I have no floor panels currently, so I think I will make "Wooden 1:1 Model 3 battery modules" (maybe others too) to play with and test fit -maybe continue on that with a new thread with some pictures..

-Jani
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

so much Tesla battery plumbing :)
IMG_20200131_132847.jpg
larsrengersen

Post by larsrengersen »

Cool! Using the P100 modules is a hot topic.
Do the colors imply you have a in/out (assuming cooling)?
Or does it imply you have a heating and a cooling sub circuit within the module?
How did Tesla use the modules?
I was expecting counter flow for better heat exchange.