DVLA Changes on conversion

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
FFMan

DVLA Changes on conversion

Post by FFMan »

So i sent my V5 back to the DVLA many weeks ago and changed the fuel type to electric, and state no holes or cutting of chassis.

I got the attached back today, click to it to make it open upright.

So i'm just wondering what others have on their V5. I knew i couldn't zero the tax on this car, not bothered about that, but does fuel type say electric because if my V5 is unchanged it's doing to look like a diesel still. The mot tester can bypass the emissions test he says so i don't suppose he is bothered.

I think this is good news, no inspection and they've recorded the change :-)

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-06 at 17.24.02.jpeg
E46 touring
Phev rear motor, OEM inverter cabin heater and charger
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
Bigpie

Re: DVLA Changes on conversion

Post by Bigpie »

Yea, mines the same unfortunately, still petrol.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Ev8

Post by Ev8 »

Looks similar to what I received
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Sort of feels like progress if they are skipping the inspections now. Guess there is no point in them since there is no tax savings that could potentially be fraudulently claimed.
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

the inspections were bonkers anyway as the actual cost must had been a few years car tax at least... i mean now at least if there are not any visible major modifications i guess they are happy ish.
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi FFMan. Thanks for the info, maybe the DVLA have finally sorted the way to go about our conversions with respect to the V5. Fingers crossed :-)
I agree with you, paying the VED is better than not getting it through.
Keep well hold of that letter, its your proof of change of fuel even though its not on the V5. Could be awkward if you get stopped by police otherwise.
Did you send any details/pics of the build with your application ? Just wondering if I need to bother with my next build now ?
All the best. Peter
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

Peter wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:46 pm Hi FFMan. Thanks for the info, maybe the DVLA have finally sorted the way to go about our conversions with respect to the V5. Fingers crossed :-)
I agree with you, paying the VED is better than not getting it through.
Keep well hold of that letter, its your proof of change of fuel even though its not on the V5. Could be awkward if you get stopped by police otherwise.
Did you send any details/pics of the build with your application ? Just wondering if I need to bother with my next build now ?
All the best. Peter
All i wrote on the form was 'no modification to chassis', no picture were sent.

For sure keeping that letter, MOT man might want to see it also.

I suspect if anyone wants to inspect it, it will be the insurance company. I'm going to call Keith Michaels tomorrow as used by Bigpie, and my current insurer the NFU have said they'd insure it, but want to know the qualification of the person who converted it ! I've got a few A-levels which I hope will satisfy them lol
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi FFMan. Try Adrian Flux for a quote too.
The NFU will insure your car, hopefully the main stream insurers are bending towards us then.
Any more good news ?? All this excitement... dont think I will sleep tonight :-)
Peter
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

Peter wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:03 pm Hi FFMan. Try Adrian Flux for a quote too.
The NFU will insure your car, hopefully the main stream insurers are bending towards us then.
Any more good news ?? All this excitement... dont think I will sleep tonight :-)
Peter
Yeah more good news - the ABS light stayed off after fitting a new wheel sensor and it got 2 new rear tyres, so i think it is ready for an MOT !

So as always thinking next steps ahead, got the cabin heater on the bench and will test the can as documented, and make the mod to the E46 cabin temp control and fit a bluetooth radio !

I got the BMS talking to me and can read all 96 voltages and temperatures, next step will be balancing but i need to get my head around that.

Just working on replacing my two small nextion screens with one large one which should look quite cool when done.

It is getting there.
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

I'd recommend Brent acre for modified vehicles also, although I've no experience with EV conversion yet.
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

Jacobsmess wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:16 pm I'd recommend Brent acre for modified vehicles also, although I've no experience with EV conversion yet.
thanks - i'll post back what i find with them
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi FFMan. I also like Nextion screens, easy to use and talk to.
Good luck with the MOT, thankfully my man drools over my conversion :-)
Peter
andybpowell

Post by andybpowell »

it took me about 8 weeks and I had to send the same information and pictures severall times and they sent someone to inspect all at their cost
but I now have this
IMG20230607113137.jpg
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

andybpowell wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:34 am it took me about 8 weeks and I had to send the same information and pictures severall times and they sent someone to inspect all at their cost
but I now have this
IMG20230607113137.jpg
what year is your car ?
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
FFMan

Post by FFMan »

Jacobsmess wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:16 pm I'd recommend Brent acre for modified vehicles also, although I've no experience with EV conversion yet.
I just spoke with Brent Acre and they said they can't insure any electric vehicles.
E46 touring
BMW 9kwh & 12kwh packs
snelly

Post by snelly »

i use Adrian flux with my ev about 150 pounds a year
they be doing modified car for yearsss

on my jeep 1990

i am go through the dvla process go to the kit rebuild department now, it has no chassis mods
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

FFMan wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:33 am I just spoke with Brent Acre and they said they can't insure any electric vehicles.
Ah that's a shame, I'm with them for my converted campervan which I was also hoping to convert to an EV in the not too distant future.
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

snelly wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:47 am i use Adrian flux with my ev about 150 pounds a year
they be doing modified car for yearsss

on my jeep 1990

i am go through the dvla process go to the kit rebuild department now, it has no chassis mods
lets hope they dont bother with inspection...cool choice
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

Jacobsmess wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:04 am Ah that's a shame, I'm with them for my converted campervan which I was also hoping to convert to an EV in the not too distant future.
did you get it registered as a camper van first? as they are well known recently the be awkward about changing a van to a camper van...
https://www.justkampersinsurance.com/20 ... motorhome/
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

Hope I'm not derailing the thread but what counts as a chassis modification? I was hoping to install batteries beneath my van between the chassis with some form of mounting system fixed to the chassis such as a welded bolt, would this count as a modification? It seems camper vans often use the chassis to underslung water tanks anyway.
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

rstevens81 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:18 am did you get it registered as a camper van first? as they are well known recently the be awkward about changing a van to a camper van...
https://www.justkampersinsurance.com/20 ... motorhome/
No it's still a van with windows on the V5 and I'm not worried about that getting changed. It's insured as a campervan and Brent acre are aware of everything I've fitted to it thus far.
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

Jacobsmess wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:18 am Hope I'm not derailing the thread but what counts as a chassis modification? I was hoping to install batteries beneath my van between the chassis with some form of mounting system fixed to the chassis such as a welded bolt, would this count as a modification? It seems camper vans often use the chassis to underslung water tanks anyway.
your applying logic to the situation DVLA don't do that.
At least recently welding anything is a big no-no, however if there is an existing hole thats ok (i know wtf)
it seems absolutely nuts to be that dvla would rather have an inappropriate attached battery bolt rather than a couple of welds.
catphish

Post by catphish »

FFMan wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:38 pm So i'm just wondering what others have on their V5. I knew i couldn't zero the tax on this car, not bothered about that, but does fuel type say electric because if my V5 is unchanged it's doing to look like a diesel still. The mot tester can bypass the emissions test he says so i don't suppose he is bothered.
This is exactly the same thing they did on mine last year. Unfortunately everything will still show as Diesel. They have no way to update the fuel type but keep the tax the same on their system.
catphish

Post by catphish »

Jacobsmess wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:18 am Hope I'm not derailing the thread but what counts as a chassis modification? I was hoping to install batteries beneath my van between the chassis with some form of mounting system fixed to the chassis such as a welded bolt, would this count as a modification? It seems camper vans often use the chassis to underslung water tanks anyway.
When it comes to mounting batteries, the DVLA consider anything newly welded to the chassis to be a modification unfortunately.
snelly

Post by snelly »

rstevens81 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:15 am lets hope they dont bother with inspection...cool choice
dvla made me
Attachments
2.JPG
3.JPG
1.JPG