Porsche 911, Tesla SDU, Nissan Leaf Battery

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
gillisk

Porsche 911, Tesla SDU, Nissan Leaf Battery

Post by gillisk »

Hi All,

My project is a 1999 Porsche 911 with a Tesla SDU. The plan is to use a 2013 Nissan Leaf 24 kWh battery pack and the 2013 Nissan Leaf PDM.
Here is the link to the diyelectriccar.com forum page: https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/ ... st-1077391
Here's a link to my YouTube Playlist of this build - https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZU7 ... sF_n0Pzj_P

I'm planning to purchase the OpenInverter Tesla SDU logic board and the ZombieVerter VCU. I'm wondering if this makes sense to people or if there is a better way to run the electronics in this car? I want to keep the cost down which is why I like these parts.

I'm wondering if the ZombieVerter VCU will allow us to charge batteries using the Nissan PDM? The PDM needs CANBUS commands to start charging as well as adjust the current and stop it when the battery is full.

I'm hoping someone can confirm that the ZombieVerter will work with the OpenInverter SDU logic board and the rest of my project before I buy both.

Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_8850.jpg
johu
Site Admin

Re: Porsche 911, Tesla SDU, Nissan Leaf Battery

Post by johu »

Great build, thanks for posting1:)
Yes, after some configuration ZombieVerter can run both the PDM and the openinverter logic board
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
gillisk

Post by gillisk »

Johu, thank you for the response and for confirming that the OpenInverter logic board and the ZombieVerter board will work with these parts! I plan to buy these parts quite soon.
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Nice car with factory Aero Kit too. 👍

Looks cool with roof bars.
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
alexbeatle

Post by alexbeatle »

Best of luck with your build!
johu wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:29 am Great build, thanks for posting1:)
Yes, after some configuration ZombieVerter can run both the PDM and the openinverter logic board
Thank you for confirming this!

A little side question on the same topic, but maybe will also help @gillisk with the build too.
Is there an advantage to wiring the drive accessories (throttle pedal, brake, reverse/forward switch, etc.) to the openinverter board and keep ZombieVerter VCU for everything else - charging, heaters, guages etc., versus wiring everything to ZombieVerter VCU and have it tell the openinverter board what to do via CAN (drive, reverse, forwards, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.
aaronmcg

Post by aaronmcg »

alexbeatle wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:27 am Best of luck with your build!

Thank you for confirming this!

A little side question on the same topic, but maybe will also help @gillisk with the build too.
Is there an advantage to wiring the drive accessories (throttle pedal, brake, reverse/forward switch, etc.) to the openinverter board and keep ZombieVerter VCU for everything else - charging, heaters, guages etc., versus wiring everything to ZombieVerter VCU and have it tell the openinverter board what to do via CAN (drive, reverse, forwards, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

I'd also like to o one this. And sorry to crash the thread but so I need an additional battery charger if the Zombieverter charges batteries by controlling the inverter?
Like will it take HV input from public chargers?

I'm new to this sorry
gillisk

Post by gillisk »

alexbeatle and @Boxster EV - Thank you!

alexbeatle, that's a good question. I'm curious too.
mextavour

Post by mextavour »

Did you ever figure out an answer to this question about battery charging and public HV chargers...?